[BBC News] Green homes for island estate

Newsbot

Plans are announced for environmentally friendly housing on an island estate.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6552959.stm

If the government are really serious about enviromental friendly housing they would force Dandara and all other private developers to do this as well. But it is tax payers money doing this. A pity Mr. Shimmin, who is so concerned about the rates people are charged by Local Authorities, cannot police his own back yard.

Mind you, how could Dandara manage all that enviromental technology. ? They can't even get their roofs to stay on in a manx winter. " :wacko: ...dandara technical advisor."

We to be fair to dandara they make good houses, they are timber framed and are better than most in the finish.

What they need to do is bring in better building regulations regarding green policy's.

The need to encourage these developers to be doing more, ie tax breaks for certain types of construction.

That way they would go a bit more green.

I think Heritage Homes will probably be doing green houses soon as its the new growth area in the construction industry.

Mark my words in a couple of years you will have eco estates popping up.

And i personally am 100% behind this type of development.

We to be fair to dandara they make good houses, they are timber framed and are better than most in the finish.

What they need to do is bring in better building regulations regarding green policy's.

The need to encourage these developers to be doing more, ie tax breaks for certain types of construction.

That way they would go a bit more green.

I think Heritage Homes will probably be doing green houses soon as its the new growth area in the construction industry.

Mark my words in a couple of years you will have eco estates popping up.

And i personally am 100% behind this type of development.

You mean Dandara make good DOLLS houses.

And what are these 'special' recycling bins?!

If the government are really serious about enviromental friendly housing

DLGE have recently employed someone whose job is to promote energy efficiency. I suspect that this is the first of many new ideas.

No housing is environmentally friendly, it really is more a case of development more energy and environmentally efficient housing. It is certainly an aspect of development that is gaining momentum and critical mass. I think the days of being hippy if you wanted a solar panel, etc. are over.

The cash may be better spent on improving the grants than on new houses though, the current grants are very stingy and mostly only apply to the lowest earners.

Agreed -few couples have a joint income of less than £15,000

Still the best time to put in energy saving features is at the construction phase.

I doubt whether we will get anything revolutionary such as passive heating and zero emissions like Bed Zed at Janet's Corner or Jurby but it is a gesture-one of many from IOM government.

Archived