[BBC News] Mortar round found by paintballer

Newsbot

I saw the photos on Saturday night from the guys who found this. Despite being very obviously a mortar, they still kicked it a couple of times before realising.

Still, I guess adding live explosives introduces some sort of excitement to what is essentially a pussified version of tip for adults who like to dress up in combat clothing and play at being soldiers.

Still, I guess adding live explosives introduces some sort of excitement to what is essentially a pussified version of tip

Eh? I thought tip involved legging it after someone and touching them? Am not a paintballer but I think they sting a bit more than that. Unless you're playing tip using a claw hammer or something.... :blink:

Eh? I thought tip involved legging it after someone and touching them?

Maybe I'm confused by the fact that paintballers seem to enjoy touching each other. Perhaps that's not officially part of the game, more a social benefit.

Myself and 2 mates found a similar device in that area nigh-on 30 years ago. Not sure exactly where this one was but we'd been to watch the bikes at Knock Froy and got bored after a little while as kids do and wandered off for an explore in the woods. Next thing one of them is shouting "I've found a mortar bomb" and is waving the thing above his head. Realising it was probably dangerous we placed it in an open area away from people and called the police who duly arrived and gave us a lift back to town after arranging someone else to look after the "incendiary device". This was how it was named on a report on the radio the following day.

Makes you wonder if there's much more undiscovered ordanance in that area. Yeah I know these incidents are a long time apart but it only takes one unfortunate incident for a tragedy to take place.

Archived