Rare Birds In Danger From Peel Bay Festival

Hermes

That's all right then.

Maybe the media, can shut the fuck up about this "festival" for a few weeks now.

And while we're at it maybe the various Government Departments, could have a moratorium on press releases tenuously connected to the alleged centenary of TT until, say, the second week of May. It's getting worse than Xmas.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any bird that just sits there and let's itself get run over by a tractor probably deserves to go extinct, and get a mention in the Darwin awards.

It reminds me of the Umbongo bird (now extinct) that used to lay it's eggs in mid air, and the Ooomeegoollies bird (also now extinct) that had very short legs and often became infertile on landing.

what an entertaining thread this has turned out to be. And may i say i have a peg firmly on on my nose for the amount of bullpoo clearly coming from the festival organisers.

First of all i will not be at the festival, on any night. I will be enjoying myslef on the other side of the world, thinking about none of you!

If they are not doing it to make money, then one has to question the motives. Nobody commits that level of investment for the good of a little run down shanty town do they? So what is it?

Ego perhaps? kudos? Want to hang with the stars? (and hasbeens?)

Well whatever it is, it's a very brave move for someone to stick their head above the parapet and do it so we shouldn't knock them for that - Bravo.

However to put this on in place like peel will be a complete pain in the ass for people living there. i am so glad i will be off the island for TT anyway, and even more grateful i don't live near the festival site.

Is there anyone out there who can pop in and feed my pet Corncrakes please?

Should the goverment stump up for a new parking site to protect these birds or should Street Heritage Ltd (festival organisers) carry the cost? Are there even sufficient conservation laws in the Island to intervene and protect the birds if SH decide to go ahead at the controversial site? Opinions please...

As Street heritage is a profit making organisation they should have to cover any costs, and the government should ensure there is sufficient legislation in place and that it is enforced so that the site is not affected.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to intrude, but I am posting to clarify the situation and perhaps give some comfort to interested parties.

The corncrakes are indeed extremely rare, the rarest of any wildlife in the Island. There are none in England and Wales at all, but there are some in north west Scotland.

Thanks to the co-operation of local farmers, and the work of the Wildlife and Conservation Division of DAFF over the years, there have been two, possibly three breeding pairs of corncrakes visiting the Island during the last few years. This is a wonderful achievement by all concerned and we hope that their foothold is maintained.

At this very moment, male corncrakes are winging their ungainly way from Africa, aiming for the Peel area. The females will follow shortly and the mating calls of the male will hopefully be heard in the next couple of weeks.

It was unfortunate that parts of the Peel Festival and habitat of the corncrake possibly overlapped, but I am pleased to say that after a couple of weeks negotiation with the organisers, that we have reached an agreement.

The organisers have acted in good faith throughout and have re-allocated the use of fields in the area so that the risk to the corncrakes is considerably reduced.

I give thanks to them for their help, and to local farmers who have co-operated, and to Chris Sharpe at Manx Bird Atlas for his advice and help.

So, there is no threat at all to the future of the Festival from the corncrake issue, and hopefully the corncrakes will survive to breed and return in future years.

The corncrakes are indeed extremely rare, the rarest of any wildlife in the Island. There are none in England and Wales at all, but there are some in north west Scotland.

Well done matey.

Q: Didn't Bill Oddie find some in East Anglia - or am I confused with something else he found?

Just found this: England's extinct Corncrake restored to Cambridgeshire corner,

Archived