[BBC News] Schools to take part in TT races

Newsbot

Blimey - a couple of hours listening to Geoff Cannell - I assume it's only for the kids in detention :o

Maybe it would be a good idea to get the local insomniacs society in to listen as well. I'll predict that they'd all be cured in minutes!!

For those that couldn't be bothered to read the article :rolleyes:

Schools to take part in TT races

Schools on the Isle of Man are gearing up to play an active part in the island's TT centenary celebrations.

The Manx education department wants pupils to get a better understanding of the race's place in the island's heritage, said a spokeswoman.

Historic TT trophies and medals will be taken around secondary schools, whose students will also design road signs for the race circuit.

The department says that the races can be linked to many curriculum areas.

Lindsay Riordan, the Department of Education's coordinator for its TT initiatives, said: "It is a fantastic event that has so much to offer educationally.

"It enables pupils to work in so many areas of the curriculum and it helps pupils understand something that is truly Manx."

Well-known race commentators Geoff Cannell and Roy Moore will be explaining their roles during the TT.

They will also encourage students to write and record their own commentaries.

Schools are being invited to take part in a collaborative art project which will go on permanent public display once the races are over.

Education minister, Anne Craine said: "The TT is a strong part of the Manx identity and by involving themselves through the wide range of competitions on offer, students will see the way in which it has contributed to our island."

Found on another site

"It is also a chance for TT sponsors to get involved with the Island’s 12,227 pupils by sponsoring prizes etc.”

That's the only bit that bothers me really. I suppose I'll have to see what my two say when they get home from lessons

I believe the government are going to ask the children to design a traffic management plan to keep the island moving during the race week. A spokesman for the government said "We need the kids to come up with something because obviously we haven't got a clue".

Should get some good stuff. Especially as St Ninians Art Club have just recently won a place in a competition to have their work exhibited in the Tate Liverpool. Look forward to seeing some interesting displays. Hopefully the talk from GC etc won't put them off!!

Hopefully the talk from GC etc won't put them off!!

Talk! The man doesn't know how to. All he does is shout!!!

Is Mr Cannell also something to do with the Bored (sic) of Education. Or has he been removed from that role?

I've got another good idea. Let's show our kids how to swill Merrydown with a straw, after all it's our heritage. Or something a little safer - how to conceal a stash of heroin to get it to the island for recreative consumption, perhaps even how to safely inject it. After all, it's got to be safer than the TT, regardless of it's position in Island Heritage. (heritage? What a meaningless pointless word, pffft... )

Archived