Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight

tucker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic! I might be a bit sentimental or what have you but that gives me goosebumps every time I see it - to see them flying over with the grace and the awesome noise makes me have a more genuine kind of 2 minutes silence than the 'proper' one. Apart from the noise of the planes themselves of course!

I think it's because actually seeing pieces of history trundling overhead like that makes you think more about that sort of thing. I'm sure one day some health & safety fiend will decide they can't be flown anymore, but until then I will certainly appreciate seeing them.

Absolutely what everyone has said, and more. They are a very awesome and special sight and sound indeed. In fact, this is probably one thread where no-one will disagree. And cret, you're right, they won't go on forever, one way or another, their days, sadly, must be numbered. Best make the most of them until that day

For me, nothing beats the sound of a Spitfire flying overhead.

I was most pleasantly surprised one day upon checking out of a B&B pretty much slap bang next to Duxford (where they have a wonderful collection of aircraft from days gone by - part of the Imperial War Museum) clicky

I was just packing my bags into the boot of the car when I heard that unmistakeable sound of a Merlin engine (never heard it for real before, only on movies) I glanced up and the thing flew right over me low (obviously on approach to land). Truly fantastic sight and sound and the highlight of the trip for me. Little things like that made the business trips away from home that little bit more bearable.

For me, nothing beats the sound of a Spitfire flying overhead.

I was most pleasantly surprised one day upon checking out of a B&B pretty much slap bang next to Duxford (where they have a wonderful collection of aircraft from days gone by - part of the Imperial War Museum) clicky

I was just packing my bags into the boot of the car when I heard that unmistakeable sound of a Merlin engine (never heard it for real before, only on movies) I glanced up and the thing flew right over me low (obviously on approach to land). Truly fantastic sight and sound and the highlight of the trip for me. Little things like that made the business trips away from home that little bit more bearable.

Archived