[BBC News] Chemists to treat minor ailments

Newsbot

Haven't they been doing this already for years and years?

That's what I thought AT.

Haven't been to the quack for years.

A good pharmacist is mor likely to have the latest info on modern medicines and special remedies.

Like drinking flat coke to stop the vomitting bug - genius.

Counter prescribing has been the domain of pharmacists since the year dot. The present NHS scheme covers treatment

for dental pain, vaginal thrush, impetigo, cystitis and conjunctivitis but the pharmacist will give professional advice on a much wider range of common ailments and will recommend a visit to the doctor if necessary.

I get most annoyed with people who waste doctors time with things they can get from a chemist. The NHS is partially to blame though, as an example my boss goes to the doctors to get piriton (a nasal thing for hayfever) this can be bought at the chemist for £6.99 (I made that price up) but if you go and get it from the doctor you pay £2.50 (another made up cost for NHS prescriptions). If the doctor told her to goto the chemist and buy the piriton she wouldn't keep wasting his time in her attempt to save £4.49, which is false economy given the time of her own she wastes (the phone call, the wait at the docs, the trip to the docs and then the chemist)

A&E sloaths annoy me too, a boy I used to work with was having a game of cards with his missus and she flicked him in the eye with a card....3 days later his eye was sore so he went to A&E. how provoking!

Oh soooo 'The Chemist' returns to chemisting, must be more money in it than property development.....or its less hassle for the wife, lol.

Archived