T.t. Week - Some Miserable Landowners

Albert Tatlock

From MR: It appears that several landowners are, this year, stopping people having casual access at various vantage points (fields and hedges) in order to watch the TT.

With anything up to 45,000 people due to attend, they should be ashamed of themselves AFAIAC, and if from the UK should be put on the boat back immediately. It's not like the centenary is going to happen every year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From MR: It appears that several landowners are, this year, stopping people having casual access at various vantage points (fields and hedges) in order to watch the TT.

With anything up to 45,000 people due to attend, they should be ashamed of themselves AFAIAC, and if from the UK should be put on the boat back immediately. It's not like the centenary is going to happen every year.

Would there be any liability issues facing the landowners in case of accident, death etc to anyone using their land as a vantage point ?

If so, to be honest I can kinda understand it.

If there isnt and people clean up after themselves then its a bit shit.

It's the "if people clean up after themselves" bit thought isn't it, as to be honest how many actually do - you see the rubbish left around the place in TT week. Yes many visitors are considerate but many also are not. For the landowners whose property may be damaged, how much will it end up costing them. If it's fields that hold livestock they would need to go round and clear up any potentially dangerous rubbish before they could put animals back in there. Also what damage could be caused to fencing etc by people trying to scrabble over them - more cost for farmers to repair.

Yes it might seem a bit tight with the old "Gerroff moi laand!" attitude, but why should they end up paying for clean up or repair to their property.

Isn't it ironic that you bleat about Nanny States on here so often yet condemn people for exercising their own freedom of choice when it doesnt suit your own personal view.

Isn't it ironic that you bleat about Nanny States on here so often yet condemn people for exercising their own freedom of choice when it doesnt suit your own personal view.

Eh? This has nothing to do with Nanny states - in fact it is more to do with the opposite situation where people 'sod everyone else' and selfishly control things.

This IMO demonstrates nothing but disrespect for the islands heritage, when allowing people temporary access to areas has never been a significant problem in the past, provided visitors clean up after themselves and not do any damage. After all, we are not talking about peoples gardens, we are only talking about a few hedges and fields adjacent to the course, where the majority of animals have to be secured or moved away from the course in the first instance.

...and I never bleat...I moo.

Providing access on the basis that people pick up their rubbish after them and cause no damage is impossible to enforce anyway. What can the landowner actually do if people don't? They can hardly take names and details, and any subsequent attempt to limit access to their land will be met with the usual response about a few bad apples and the importance of preserving the proud heritage we've built upon the principle that every man woman or child, regardless of colour, creed, or faith, should be allowed to sit on any hedgerow or wall they choose and watch the races.

Anyway, don't people have enough vantage points from which to watch the race without having to encroach on public land?

After all, we are not talking about peoples gardens, we are only talking about a few hedges and fields adjacent to the course, where the majority of animals have to be secured or moved away from the course in the first instance.

Easy to say it, but "a few hedges and fields" can take up alot more time for a farmer than fixing up a garden - is there really a difference? Have you ever tried refixing fencing polls and putting up new mesh - that costs in time and effort.

After all, we are not talking about peoples gardens, we are only talking about a few hedges and fields adjacent to the course, where the majority of animals have to be secured or moved away from the course in the first instance.

Easy to say it, but "a few hedges and fields" can take up alot more time for a farmer than fixing up a garden - is there really a difference? Have you ever tried refixing fencing polls and putting up new mesh - that costs in time and effort.

...and I suppose for those cases the usual little bit of time for forward thinking and preparation seems to have suddenly gone out of the window this year. Most of the time (99% of the time) people's presence will not impact anything significant in these areas. In many cases I suspect these landowners are just being stubborn for the sake of it.

I think it's the demonstration of lack of community spirit in these cases that actually gets me annoyed.

I was at a venue a few TT's ago, quite late into the night, and there were 8 people lying around the place who couldn't get back home and had nowhere to stay for the night. They all ended up staying at my house for the night. I got two tickets in the post for Glastonbury a couple of weeks later, and an offer to get my motorcycle wheels realloyed for free (from one of them who runs his own business doing that), and even though I didn't ask for any money I discovered later that they'd left £50 to cover the costs of breakfast as I used up all the bacon and sausages in my freezer. All totally unexpected, loads of trust (not nicking anything) and an event that reminded me of what the TT is all about.

...and I suppose for those cases the usual little bit of time for forward thinking and preparation seems to have suddenly gone out of the window this year.

How exactly do you prepare for the possibility of having your fence wrecked without it ending up costing similar to just fixing it afterwards, and why should they be expected to go to the expense?

I think it's the demonstration of lack of community spirit in these cases that actually gets me annoyed.

Community spirit: (kuh-myoo-ni-ty spir-it) Noun.

The principle of not opposing Albert Tatlock or telling him what to do, and to hell with what any one else might want

Origin - From Community, meaning Albert, and spirit meaning aggreement with.

Dumbocracy: (Duh-mok-ruh-see) Noun.

Any group of people deemed to lack community spirit, especially Governments, scientists, landowners, people with money, and so on.

Definitions taken and ammended from the bumper fun pop up Stalinist dictionary (Usborne, 1922 english edition)

...and I suppose for those cases the usual little bit of time for forward thinking and preparation seems to have suddenly gone out of the window this year.

How exactly do you prepare for the possibility of having your fence wrecked without it ending up costing similar to just fixing it afterwards, and why should they be expected to go to the expense?

Community spirit: (kuh-myoo-ni-ty spir-it) Noun.

The principle of not opposing Albert Tatlock or telling him what to do, and to hell with what any one else might want

Origin - From Community, meaning Albert, and spirit meaning aggreement with.

Dumbocracy: (Duh-mok-ruh-see) Noun.

Any group of people deemed to lack community spirit, especially Governments, scientists, landowners, people with money, and so on.

Definitions taken and ammended from the bumper fun pop up Stalinist dictionary (Usborne, 1922 english edition)

You dissapoint me - I was looking forward to your 2-pager :lol:

I used to help organise a scramble during TT week - it ain't rocket science to peel back a few metres of fencing. And if you've ever watched the TT from as many vantage points as I have - you'll realise that most of these people don't have to do anything.

Archived