David Cannan Talk To Pag

Charles Flynn

This is a message from Mr Roger Tomlinson, Chair of PAG:

P A G has been campaigning for over a year for

>> ALL members of Tynwald to be elected by the people.

>> (This aim is fundamental part of our CHARTER).

>>

>> In the House of Keys next Tuesday this will be debated

>> as part of the clauses stage of MHK David Cannan's

>> CONSTITUTION BILL

>>

>> Come and hear Mr Cannan talk about the Bill and let

>> him hear your views

>>

>> Monday 23rd April 2007 at 7.30 pm

>> Freemasons Hall*

>> Woodbourne Road

>> Douglas

>>

>> * note NEW VENUE

>> Freemasons Hall is near the junction

>> of Woodbourne Road and Derby Road

>> CAR PARKING AVAILABLE

>>

>> As this is a new venue we really would like a good

>> turnout so please do try and come and of course

>> bring a friend, relative or neighbour. We are able to

>> persuade speakers to address us because of our

>> record of attracting a sizeable audience. We even

>> had good attendance at our AGM last month, so

>> keep coming !

PAG is not to be confused with the APG, a group of MHKs from the 1990s called the Alliance for Progressive Government. wiki, and formerly the Alternative Policy Group.

I would like to go to the David Cannan talk but I wish no association whatsoever with the big house on Woodbourne Road. I might be seen entering the place. Sorry.

Here is an iomonline online article about PAG, APG Liberal Vannin and a who's who in Party Politics in general on the Isle of Man.

iomonline article

Asking questions of, or giving your opinion to, Mr Cannan will be a complete waste of time. He is, in my opinion, utterly incapable of changing his mind about anything once he has decided what is best for everyone.

The idea of every member of Tynwald being elected is excellent. His proposals, however, are a complete and utter dog's breakfast - far too complicated to have any value.

The simplest option - 32 members elected (probably from 16 x 2-member constituencies), with 8 of those being then being chosen to form an 'upper' or 'revising' chamber, is by far the best.

And for those 'fans' of Peter Karran, please don't forget that a system similar to that might well have been introduced before the last election if he hadn't stuck his nose into those proposals and made a complete mess of them!

I personally favour 8 x 3 seaters for the Keys with elections every 5 years and 8 x 1 seaters (same boundaries) for the Council elected every five years mid Keys term

There should be no political competition as Council members wouold be elected knowing they only had revising and delaying powers legislatively but there would be no restiction on which house ministers sit etc as all policy and finance would be reserved to Tynwald where they would be equal. ie the branches for legislation only

Sorry only accessed site now. Roger Tomlinson is Chair of the Positve Action Group and is involved in several environmental organisations such as Zero Waste Man.

I have no more information on David Cannan's talk or why the Freemason's Hall is being used. I have simply put the info such as it is on this website.

Sorry only accessed site now. Roger Toomlinson is Chair of the Positve Action Group and is involved in several environmental organisations such as Zero Waste Man.

I have no more information on David Cannan's talk or why the Freemason's Hall is being used. I have simply put the info such as it is on this website.

I think they usually meet at the Empress. Maybe it wasn't available on Monday.

It's difficult to find a hall at a reasonable price in Douglas.

The PAG has met in Ramsey for the Dominic Delaney talk which was excellent. Mr Delaney is a great loss to Manx politics

Sorry only accessed site now. Roger Tomlinson is Chair of the Positve Action Group and is involved in several environmental organisations such as Zero Waste Man.

From Positiver Action Group Website

Chairman: Roger Tomlinson

Secretary: Jeff Garland

Treasurer: Joe Duffy

The Freemason's hall will probably be used because of the expense of using the Empress. Joe Duffy (Treasurer) has Freemasonic connections and has probably suggested the venue.

Archived