[BBC News] Road closed early for TT practice

Newsbot

TT2008, if it happens, will be much quieter - the all-Island speed limit will almost certainly have been introduced by then, no smoking in pubs will deter a certain type of clientle plus the growing lack of accomodation.

All it needs to be finished is a couple of bad accidents this year - possibly the pressure to break records in the centenary year could push some riders too far (I hope not) but poor weather could cause havoc, if not with the races, then with the wanabee visitors.

But the earlier posters are correct - the costs falling on the residents who derive little pleasure or profit from the event (and for example on school exams) will I think cause a rethink as to the future form of the TT.

I really can't be bothered ripping that post apart in detail, but rest assured it's one of the most completely wrong things I've ever read.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sat my O levels (yes, O levels, I am that old!) at St Ninians during the TT fortnight in 1976 and, although it stretches the memory, there was no impact as we sat the exams in Park Road during race or practice times.

TT week then was much busier than it has been more recently, so the answer to your question Declan is: no affect whatsoever. Although the general impact of the added volume of traffic on an already crippled road system (whether that is the designers or the drivers is another debate) has to be acknowledged.

I believe we have a responsibility to look after the people we have invited here.

There have been numerous accidents over the last 99 years of the TT (including Birkins bend - when Birkin crashed up the ar*e of a fishcart - around 1928 - in the days when they didn't bother closing the roads during TT practices!). I think we eventually learned from even that.

We have learned a lot, and that information is stored in memory with the police, ambulance, fire, St John Ambulance and many others...who have run and supported the TT for 99 years.

I say, let them do their bit, and let us all have a very successful 2 weeks. Methinks, they know a little more than you and I how to run a two week festival.

If you don't like the TT - and don't understand its part in the islands heritage, nor the knowledge and experience these people that run it have - then book the same fortnight away.

I sat my O levels (yes, O levels, I am that old!) at St Ninians during the TT fortnight in 1976 and, although it stretches the memory, there was no impact as we sat the exams in Park Road during race or practice times.

TT week then was much busier than it has been more recently, so the answer to your question Declan is: no affect whatsoever. Although the general impact of the added volume of traffic on an already crippled road system (whether that is the designers or the drivers is another debate) has to be acknowledged.

Gladys what absolute bollocks. Yes there were many more visitors then but there was nothing like the amount of local traffic then like it is today. I would say there is three maybe even four times more vehicles on our roads now than there was then.

How you can say Declan is wrong is beyond me. You obviously haven't thought about what you are saying

What's the impact on school exams?

Well I sat my O levels (many years ago) at Ramsey Grammar, or rather a some poxy hall because we couldn't get to the school. One particularly memorable exam featured the Red arrows roaring overhead for 15 mins. I don't know if this still happens but the conditions under which I did exams were noisy, and barely adequate.

Ok, thats it then!

Let's close the doors turn the lights out and have spuds n herring for tea!!

Let's turn the dullest place on earth into an even duller place, because once the TT is gone, the MGP and the Rallies will go and so will a lot of people, me included!

Good riddance you may say, but think about it, give me a list of things that may keep me here? I can't think of much!

For what? Because the Government have decreed this is the "centenary" T.T. Well I hope this is a one-off (and not a prelude to the 100th Anniversary of the Mountain Circuit in 2011, and the 100th T.T. in about 2015), because it won't take too many years like this one promises to be for me to move into the anti-camp.

Wait what? This isn't the real centenary anniversary of the first race?

Ok, thats it then!

Let's turn the dullest place on earth into an even duller place, because once the TT is gone, the MGP and the Rallies will go and so will a lot of people, me included!

Good riddance you may say, but think about it, give me a list of things that may keep me here? I can't think of much!

well how about that brilliant local band twisted angels? :ph34r:

Ok, thats it then!

well how about that brilliant local band twisted angels? :ph34r:

They, and other fine bands will appear regularly within driving distance of my new home!

Ok, thats it then!

Max I know where you're coming from but I think more people come to live here for work purposes, tax reasons, retire in a tranquil setting etc than those who are TT fans who fell in love with place when they came for the racing.

Ultimately these people will have an opinion about their Island home ...

Ok, thats it then!

I have a number of questions for you Mr Power:

1. Have you ever been to Slough or Swindon? If so I think you will find that this isn't the dullest place on earth.

2.Have you numbers for these masses of people who will leave due to lack of the TT etc. or is it just you and possibly a couple of your mates?

3. Is the only other alternative to the TT eating spuds and herring in the dark, or are there other options?

4. Is the loss of you to the Island so critical that it is something we must fear?

5. Where are you going to move to, the central part of a race course at Brands Hatch I assume?

I truly do fear your threat of leaving, I really do, so please allay my fears.

Ten or fifteen years ago I loved TT fortnight. I was not that bothered about the racing but it was great to see the Island come alive. I was younger though then and lived in a flat on the prom etc.

Now as I have got older, with a family and kids and living outside Douglas my enthusiaism waned and the down sides irritate me more and more to a point I do question the future of the TT. I understand the arguments about tradition, and that nobody forces the participants to be involved etc but the world moves on and changes, nothing last forever and I wonder if the TT is getting to the end of its shelf life.

Is it really an event that belonged to a past era, like steam trains, music halls etc?

At its peak the Island had the accomodation and the transport facilities to cope with the visitors. We where still heavily reliant on tourism as the financial sector had not taken off. The population was much lower and the majority travelled by public transport or shanks's pony. They also tended to live in the town where they worked rather than outside so you did not see the congestion you see today as you did not have hordes of 9 to 5 office workers. The changes have been good for the Islands prosperity but conversly have caused more to get irritated by the changes in normal routine caused by the TT.

Some also question whether the speed and power of todays bikes has overtaken the circuit. I will freely admit to being one of those. This is not just a case from the racers perspective but that anybody with a road license can thrash rather tour around the course. Health and safety have also changed over the years in respect of risk and what is deemed acceptable. Some can be described as being the result of the "nanny state" but it has also been affected by peoples attitudes with many much more ready to sue, complain and demand their rights.

There are therefore competing pressures on the TT from different places and these will increase as things advance. If they don't then in my opinion it will be bad for the Island as it will be a reflection that the Island is declining and we are heading back for the days of "spuds n herring for tea" at which point nobody will complain about the TT.

Ok, thats it then!

Max I know where you're coming from but I think more people come to live here for work purposes, tax reasons, retire in a tranquil setting etc than those who are TT fans who fell in love with place when they came for the racing.

Ultimately these people will have an opinion about their Island home ...

Let's do a worst case scenario then - TT, MGP, S100, Manx rallies etc all disappear.

A lot more B&Bs and guesthouses are thus turned into apartments, as they are un-economic to run as a business, and a lot of them rely on the motorsport events to cover their costs.

Then legislation changes and the finance industry moves away or downscales (it could happen quite easily).

What then for the island?

Archived