[BBC News] Road closed early for TT practice

Newsbot

Lots of people are saying that they used to like the TT but are not so bothered now.

I am the same. I loved the lot - the racing, the atmosphere, the stupid fair. I knew people who raced and loved watching them do so. I used to be up at the Grandstand first thing to watch the early morning practices. I skived University and paid through the nose for a flight back to the Island for TT week. I skived school to watch the racing (I went to KWC).

Now I am older. I don't like the fair anymore. I am not bothered about standing in a crowd drinking flat lager out of a plastic cup by a tent that smells of sick. I don't know anyone who races and the thought of people being in accidents on the course horrifies me more than it did 10 years ago - even though 10 years ago friends were racing.

But I don't want the TT to stop.

For those of you who have changed your mind about the TT:

The TT has not changed.

You have changed.

Don't let those who are discovering the joy of it for the first time miss out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The TT has not changed.

That's the crux of the problem...

I don't think the finance industry is normally damaged by the TT?

Damaged is perhaps too strong a word. But it is a huge inconvenience for a lot of companies. Ever tried to book a flight or hotel at short notice during TT for a client or colleague from a foreign office? "Sorry can't fit you in for the next 2 weeks - yeah everything will just have to go on hold until then."

I have to admit that this is the first time I have ever heard of a successful local event being slated so much!!

How can you call this succesful when it hasn't even happened yet?

The TT has not changed.

That's the crux of the problem...

I don't think the finance industry is normally damaged by the TT?

Damaged is perhaps too strong a word. But it is a huge inconvenience for a lot of companies. Ever tried to book a flight or hotel at short notice during TT for a client or colleague from a foreign office? "Sorry can't fit you in for the next 2 weeks - yeah everything will just have to go on hold until then."

The TT has changed, but luckily in subtle ways. It is an event which thrives on tradition.

Actually I have had to fly and travel by ferry during the TT period fairly recently and at short notice. Unless you are rying to move a huge party of people, it is not usually too much of a problem! (There are flights and ferries still available!)

Actually I have had to fly and travel by ferry during the TT period fairly recently and at short notice. Unless you are trying to move a huge party of people, it is not usually too much of a problem! (There are flights and ferries still available!)

Lectro is right getting travel at the appropriate times can be tricky and more expensive in TT week (the boat isn't an option for most business travel). However far worse than that problem is that no accommodation is available. This can be an inconvenience for two weeks of the year for the finance sector. An inconvenience that competing finance sector locations do not have.

Actually I have had to fly and travel by ferry during the TT period fairly recently and at short notice. Unless you are trying to move a huge party of people, it is not usually too much of a problem! (There are flights and ferries still available!)

Lectro is right getting travel at the appropriate times can be tricky and more expensive in TT week (the boat isn't an option for most business travel). However far worse than that problem is that no accommodation is available. This can be an inconvenience for two weeks of the year for the finance sector. An inconvenience that competing finance sector locations do not have.

Ah, but they do have a viable holiday industry as I found out when trying to book about 3 years back!

I heard last night of a local hotel which a company had been using as a place for its visiting staff to stay fduring the last couple of years.

The charge was £45 per night.

They were told that if they wanted to book for the weeks of the TT Festival this year, it would cost £240 per night!

Needless to say, they've lost some regular, ongoing business.

I heard last night of a local hotel which a company had been using as a place for its visiting staff to stay fduring the last couple of years.

The charge was £45 per night.

They were told that if they wanted to book for the weeks of the TT Festival this year, it would cost £240 per night!

Needless to say, they've lost some regular, ongoing business.

This kind of thing happened with the Millennium. Pubs and clubs overcharged on entrance tickets etc, no-one bought and stayed at home and had a good time and now you're hard pushed to find anywhere that's jumping on New Year's Eve.

People learn

I have to admit that this is the first time I have ever heard of a successful local event being slated so much!!

Depends on the company you keep! Apart from my partner, who loves the actual racing but not all the crap that goes with it, I don't know anyone who looks forward to it. I used to as a kid, but once I had children of my own my outlook changed. I just worry about everyones safety now and wish it would relocate to Slough - and you with it if the only attraction the IOM has for you is racing.

Depends on the company you keep! Apart from my partner, who loves the actual racing but not all the crap that goes with it, I don't know anyone who looks forward to it. I used to as a kid, but once I had children of my own my outlook changed. I just worry about everyones safety now and wish it would relocate to Slough - and you with it if the only attraction the IOM has for you is racing.

Maybe I'm being harsh here? There is plenty to do, like moaning about everything that happens to make the place exciting!!

Archived