[BBC News] Campaigners against building sale

Newsbot

I for one think it is apawling that the commissoners would even consider selling the Bradda Glen, I'll have to find out what part they are planning to sell.

How good would that be if some one bought it as a private residence an stuck bloody private signs up all over the place.

Get someone decent in there to run it as a pub/resturant/cafe, hell bring back the Bradda nightclub :)

What muppets have we got in the commissoners down here? :ph34r:

I think it is the building in the glen, which has had a succession of failed cafes and restaurants operating in it.

And, Jim, the trail of failed attempts suggest that creating another pub/restaurant/cafe on the site would simply not work.

Hopefully, the sale of the building would be conditional on the permanent retention of public rights of access.

it is up on bradda looks down over the bay, if you walk round the coastal foot path toward bradda head you go past (oops you can't do yhat any more 'cos the path washed away over a year ago and they haven't got round to reinstating it yet)

if you drive up the upper prom and either walk down the path on the left bfore you get to the dip or carry on driving and take the turn on your left you come to it.

The Commissioners have made the right decision to sell the building; there will be a number of strict covenants in place to control the future use of the building.

The building is reaching a point were the maintenance costs alone would be an unwise drain on the commissioner’s resources, without having to provide such things as disabled access.

The last tenant tried his best to make it a success of it but failed, it’s a sad fact of life but the old market that kept that place in business has long since gone.

And, Jim, the trail of failed attempts suggest that creating another pub/restaurant/cafe on the site would simply not work.

bolloks, the last guy that was running it did such a good job of making it look closed to people walking past I would be supprised if he sold a single ice cream or cup of tea to passing tourists/walkers.

Its perfect location for a nice cool beef on a summers day, look how busy the bay is on a nice day and it gets no sun, imagine the Bradda, maybe with a bit of live music on the lawn, decent staff and management, its a fantastic location and there's even plenty of parking

The Commissioners have made the right decision to sell the building; there will be a number of strict covenants in place to control the future use of the building.

The building is reaching a point were the maintenance costs alone would be an unwise drain on the commissioner’s resources, without having to provide such things as disabled access.

Covenants - on the Isle of Man stand for little, especially in the hands of the commissioners.

The George Herdman Institute for example, that marvellous building located just along from the cafe/arcade on the lower promenade.

Left to the people of Port Erin by a great man, but the commissioners, lacking the imagination to keep it going properly sold it off.

"Port Erin Commissioners promises stringent conditions and covenants will be placed on the sale to protect the existing grounds and the right of access."

No mention of preventing change of use then, sold to the highest bidder to be come a private house, well done commisoners one more local amenity shut down and gone for good.

"welcome to Port Erin, the islands premier Retirement village"

I've seen people camp in campers down at the bio station end of the prom inc the local caravan club, there is loads of room there now to since they knocked down loads of the old buildings + its perfect for the bay.

No official campsites I know of, but I think the people at Ballacurry farm let people camp in the show field opposit the farm at Ballafesson sometimes, also the Bradda glen car park would be a good spot.

Archived