Another Batch Of Food Rumours

3v0

I know that we used to have Griddles as a junk food place but it was it a locally owned company?

It was, but does that really make any difference? It was pretty much a generic fast food joint, the kind that you'd find anywhere in the UK, so despite being "local" it could hardly be claimed that it being replaced with another run of the mill fast food restaurant, albeit owned by foreign devils, has had some detrimental effect on the uniqueness of the Douglas and the Isle of Man in general. Same with Strand58 and the Waterloo.

I just feel that more giant corporate places that move onto the Island, the more it squeezes local business out and then before you know it the IOM looks just like any shitty high st in the UK.

It's already looked like that for decades, if anything it used to look a lot worse! Fifteen years ago, what in Douglas could we really be proud of as being "our own" - Gemini's, Shock's and Rainbow's end? Super. Go to any run down former seaside resort in the UK and walk down the high street and you'll see Strand street circa 1993 or so: great for porcelain clown ornaments and tatty shop fronts, less so for any real choice or quality. If anything Douglas is better now for quality local establishments, as well as brand names than it was then: Both Betty Red's and Spill the Beans managed to set up and stay in business despite the presence of the big name retailers and cafés, because they were brave enough to explore niche markets and/or offer something different. For more everyday things, who apart from ardent nationalists really cares whether they buy it from Johnny Foreigner's House of Trousers, or Mr Manxo's Rag Shack? The product will be the same, the shop will look the same, everything will be the same but the name, and perhaps the price which is likely to be higher in the latter case.

Okay the consumer is getting bargains from Tescos, but really I would pay a bit more to keep my high street vibrant and local? Maybe im wrong but I would hate that to happen to the IOM

You might, but others may not be able to afford the luxury of such convictions for the sake of a more pleasing high street. In actual fact there's actually been a resurgence in local butchers and farm shops in the UK. Both cities I've lived in, Bristol and Norwich, have a fairly decent number of butchers, fruit shops, farm shops and markets, proving that they can coexist with the supermarkets if they can justify their higher prices to those that can afford them by an emphasis on quality and production standards. Where this is not a feature it's probably less to do with supermarkets squeezing out the plucky individual, and more that the surrounding area isn't affluent enough, or simply doesn't have the inclination, to shop in local, individually owned businesses.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far be it from me to only think about my stomach, however this thread seems to have wandered off topic...by quite a long way too! My original question was aimed at finding out more information about the future eating establishments not about the legality of downloading child p0rn....

Go and start your own thread about WIFI legal issues and other boring stuff like that and leave this for talk about stuff crusts and Bacon double cheeseburgers! :P

Far be it from me to only think about my stomach, however this thread seems to have wandered off topic...by quite a long way too! My original question was aimed at finding out more information about the future eating establishments not about the legality of downloading child p0rn....

Go and start your own thread about WIFI legal issues and other boring stuff like that and leave this for talk about stuff crusts and Bacon double cheeseburgers! :P

Yes I do apologise - slightly off topic!

On the subject of stuffed crusts, is there any place over here that does them?? hmmmmm cheese :)

On the subject of stuffed crusts, is there any place over here that does them?? hmmmmm cheese :)

Much better! Errm no I don't think so, you used to be able to buy frozen pizza's with a stuffed crust....not as good as PH though!

Much better! Errm no I don't think so, you used to be able to buy frozen pizza's with a stuffed crust....not as good as PH though!

I've ordered some pizza base mix with my tesco.com this week so i'm going to try and do it myself.

If that doesn't work i'm going to ask Conor at La Mona Lisa if he can do them!

I once heard that in Bermuda it's illegal for 'chains' such as McDonalds and Burger King to set up there as it would generally bring down the tone of the Island

Anyone connfirm if that's true?

It is sort of true. However, there are ways around it, and Kentuky Fried Chicken got in in the early seventies and is still there. There are a few other chains and franchises (Louis Vuitton for example) but the ones they allow in now generally do not lower the tone. Mcdonalds did exist in Bermuda for a short time on the US Airfarce Base but when the US handed back control of the land to Bermuda McDs had to go. The building is still there, in the shape of McDs and still sells crap burgers under another name.

I've ordered some pizza base mix with my tesco.com this week so i'm going to try and do it myself.

If that doesn't work i'm going to ask Conor at La Mona Lisa if he can do them!

Mona Lisa do very nice Pizza's (probably nice other stuff too but I wouldn't know!) at least they are in Laxey so probably less likely to be affected by the arrival of Pizza Hut anyway.

Immortal - OMG they were the best burgers in the world!!!! The stinkbreath, jesus i could just eat that now!!! Didnt they just taste so dam fine - spec after a few snakebite n blacks in Bushys first, oh seriously I loved that place, Bushys and Route - why in the hell did these excellent Manx establishments close down!!!!! Raaaaaah!

It really is such a shame - Bushys just sort of reflected Manx people I think - it was a place for everyone and everyone fitted in - a unique thing really, you dont find many pubs like that!

route - was just cool spec as I was a teenager/young adult when it was in its prime! Ooooh the maltesers dessert thingy! Yea I guess that junk food was cool as it was kind of homemade and there was a bit of pride in it as well as a cool place to go and friendly atmosphere!!

Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Archived