Bishopscourt

ponderer

Re St Mary's - suggest you get hold of The Manxman Autumn 1977 (in Manx museum library) in which Ian Faulds reprints most of the Diocesan architects report which indicated how years of neglect followed by inappropriate remedial measures resulted in an unsafe building + much wasted money - the parish could not afford the necessary repairs and moved to the much smaller National School.

Ferguson Lacey used to hold his own religious services in there - went one evening out of amusement to hear him preach - rather along lines of Ulster protestants but not as bombastic - somewhat strange to hear it in the rather Anglo-catholic atmosphere of the one-time pro-cathedral

I am surprised at the indifference being shown here to Manx historical buildings like Bishopscourt.

Perhaps its time we knocked down Peel Castle - image what an amazing modern hotel with bar and restaurant sea views that could be built there...

And just think..

...the taxpayer wouldn't have to pay a penny...

Why can't they open it up to the public - like the Grove Museum? :blink:

Good question. I suspect that Manx National Heritage (who own Grove Museum) would be unwilling/unable to afford the cost of buying and maintaining the estate.

However, if a wealthy benefactor could be found (I'm dreaming!) then perhaps there could be some agreement reached where the historical value of Bishopscourt would be respectedin partnership with MNH, various Govt departments could pay to use it for particular uses or functions, it could be open for voluntary, Church or commercial organisations to hire it for particular private functions from time to time (or even the odd church service) and the owner would have exclusive use of it for the rest of the time...

That way it might be seen as more than just a private property.

... Or it could simply be bought by somebody who couldn't care less about Manx heritage and its historical importance...

They use to have open days there I think. It's a beautiful building, seventy thousand into six million that's a heck of a lot of profit.

Yes they did. We went to one just a couple of years' ago, but it pee'd down. You could only go into the chapel and it would have been interesting to see the rest of the interior, but it was, and is, a private dwelling. I suppose the best we can expect is that someone will buy it and look after it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has never been 'public', so expecting that to change is perhaps expecting a little too much.

They use to have open days there I think. It's a beautiful building, seventy thousand into six million that's a heck of a lot of profit.

Yes they did. We went to one just a couple of years' ago, but it pee'd down. You could only go into the chapel and it would have been interesting to see the rest of the interior, but it was, and is, a private dwelling. I suppose the best we can expect is that someone will buy it and look after it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has never been 'public', so expecting that to change is perhaps expecting a little too much.

...And I suppose expecting the buyer to care less about Manx heritage is expecting a little too much as well!

Well, you never know Ponderer. Perhaps it should be listed or similar, if it isn't already. But calling for public access to the various historic houses on the island is just unreasonable. The UK only got public access to stately homes because the swingeing inheritance tax provisions meant that the owning families could no longer afford their upkeep.

Archived