Bye Bye Imperial

jim

Port Erin has lost some of its finest promenade buildings in the last couple of decades, York house , The Eagle hotel, The Sneafell, The Golf links,The Hydro, now The imperial, I may even have missed some out, very sad to see these fine buildings turning into dust

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Port Erin has lost some of its finest promenade buildings in the last couple of decades, York house , The Eagle hotel, The Sneafell, The Golf links,The Hydro, now The imperial, I may even have missed some out, very sad to see these fine buildings turning into dust

Its a real shame to see all these go, it was the first job i had when i came to the island working there for a whole £70 per week..... how did i survive!

Why is it such a shame to see them go? A bit of nostalgia? The old Imperial was a right state, a huge pebble-dash monstrosity, it looked like a mental health institute....

All of the hotels along that prom are past their best. I'm sure if business was booming they would be renovated or at least painted. The only part of those hotels that are presentable is the facade, take a walk round the side! They were the last century's equivalent of the some of the cheap tat that gets built today, they were built to make money in a tourist boom that had it's day more than 50 years ago.

Why is it such a shame to see them go? A bit of nostalgia? The old Imperial was a right state, a huge pebble-dash monstrosity, it looked like a mental health institute....

All of the hotels along that prom are past their best. I'm sure if business was booming they would be renovated or at least painted. The only part of those hotels that are presentable is the facade, take a walk round the side! They were the last century's equivalent of the some of the cheap tat that gets built today, they were built to make money in a tourist boom that had it's day more than 50 years ago.

A fair point.

I think people's gripe is what the builders and their architects and yes the quantity surveyors too, are putting up in their place.

Nasty uninteresting soulless modular shite.

(OK perhaps a bit unkind but I haven't used my quota of poetic licence today.)

A fair point.

I think people's gripe is what the builders and their architects and yes the quantity surveyors too, are putting up in their place.

Nasty uninteresting soulless modular shite.

(OK perhaps a bit unkind but I haven't used my quota of poetic licence today.)

I agree, its true the hotels themselves where falling apart at the seems, they where falling apart when i was there 15/16 years ago.

Its been shown though that you can re-develop a site without losing the character of the building, you dont simply have to rip it down and start afresh.

But i suppose money is a factor in that, and i will agree the Imperial wasn't a pleasent building on both the inside and outside.

I'll agree with that

The only part of those hotels that are presentable is the facade, take a walk round the side! They were the last century's equivalent of the some of the cheap tat that gets built today, they were built to make money in a tourist boom that had it's day more than 50 years ago.

But that!!??

Some of them maybe but the Ocean Castle is a fantastic building inside and out and I doubt if / when it gets knocked down Port Erin will ever see its likes again.

The quality of work in the reception area function room etc. although now a little tatty is certainly not cheap tat, even the toilets there are pure class.

Nostalgia, met the wife there, that was 17 years ago - who says holiday romance doesn't work

Now might be a good time to try and take her back there. With everything they've got going on, they might not even notice!

17 years..... bloody place deserves to be demolished. You could always write to the government and explain it to them, they might offer you some sort of compensation? ;)

Nostalgia, met the wife there, that was 17 years ago - who says holiday romance doesn't work

Now might be a good time to try and take her back there. With everything they've got going on, they might not even notice!

17 years..... bloody place deserves to be demolished. You could always write to the government and explain it to them, they might offer you some sort of compensation? ;)

That's an idea, just heard that there will be a closing down party, might take her up there and lock her back in her old room ;)

• 2 weeks later...
They were the last century's equivalent of the some of the cheap tat that gets built today, they were built to make money in a tourist boom that had it's day more than 50 years ago.

Just like in 50 years from now when Grandad will be telling the grandkids about how at the turn of the century in the Isle of Man everyone drove Porsches and lived in million pound houses, and people will wonder why the Island still has all these old disused office blocks harking back to the long dead finance sector.

Thrown up in months from the cheapest materials around and left to fester for a generation or two!

Archived