Local Food Could Be Jeopardised ?

Roger Smelly

From Manx Radio Website

Growing competition between retailers means local food could lose out more to cheaper supermarket own-brand products.

The recent row over the sale of low-price bread at Tesco led to an Office of Fair Trading inquiry, amid claims the firm was 'dumping' produce in the Isle of Man.

But the OFT has concluded the supermarket was NOT guilty of the practice - as the same limited offer was available to customers both here and in the United Kingdom.

The OFT's Chief Officer Nick Black says a similar dispute could arise over other staple foods in the future.

He says ensuring low prices for consumers while giving a fair deal to local producers is a balancing act:

Business is exactly that, and for local firms to turn around and moan because they are being priced out is clap trap.

Bread must have a baseline cost and on a island that uses its own flour and water and only imports yeast the price of a loaf must be quite cheap to produce.

Tesco imports all of its food and shipping must cost them, so how is it local food is more expensive if it is produced on the island.

Uk farmers get 8p per litre of milk so why are we paying £1.20 ?

I have always said that local produce should be sold at a local market that way the farmer gets maximum profit.

A supermarket is not really a outlet for local produce.

Bring in local farmers markets in a venue close to the shops and you will get more people buying local.

Trouble is over here people don't travel enough in the UK to see them, in the south of england they even have the french coming to england selling french produce in markets.

A bit of compettion is a great thing makes you sit up and improve. :rolleyes:

I thought Nick Black was the Health and safety geezer, this is something I dont understand about these jobs, how can you go from being an expert in H & S issues to an expert in Fair trading in such a short time? maybe its a different person.

I try to avoid supermarkets, I go to shoprite once a month and get 'bits' for making food with daily. I did do a Tescos online thing at Christmas, yesterday I got a letter with a £15 off coupon (for a £75 shop) this says to me that mr Tesco is making more than £15 profit on every £75 worth of shopping (well he isnt going to make a loss is he??)

You cannot really compare the price of locally produced things to supermarket shelved goods, supermarkets have huge buying power and I doubt the local suppliers would be able to cover such a huge market. (its very early in the morning, I know what I mean and hope you do but words arent working atm)

Well i get what you are saying, what i don't understand is why are they trying to compare certain products when really if they have a gripe about supermarkets they should be comparing supermarket to supermarket.

Its like saying the local corner shop cannot buy a crate of beans for the same price as a supermarket can buy a truck load.

Basically its all about volume of sales and that is how lower priced goods makes the retailer profit.

It's the customer they should be targeting with the local produce, this attitude of blaming the retailer is a load of cr@p.

If people want to buy local in season produce they will, i know i always buy local in season food.

A supermarket is in business to sell goods not champion the local producer, that is upto the lazy farmers and bakers to do.

I thought Nick Black was the Health and safety geezer, this is something I dont understand about these jobs, how can you go from being an expert in H & S issues to an expert in Fair trading in such a short time? maybe its a different person.

I try to avoid supermarkets, I go to shoprite once a month and get 'bits' for making food with daily. I did do a Tescos online thing at Christmas, yesterday I got a letter with a £15 off coupon (for a £75 shop) this says to me that mr Tesco is making more than £15 profit on every £75 worth of shopping (well he isnt going to make a loss is he??)

You cannot really compare the price of locally produced things to supermarket shelved goods, supermarkets have huge buying power and I doubt the local suppliers would be able to cover such a huge market. (its very early in the morning, I know what I mean and hope you do but words arent working atm)

They've had a shuffle round-Ken Kinrade from Office of Fair Trading goes to DLGE-Nick Black from DLGE goes to Office of Fair Trading.

Archived