Will Prince Harry Going To Iraq Put Squaddies At Risk?

Chinahand

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In military matters a delay in some circumstances is a far different thing from stifling the freedom of the press. After all, e.g. you would never have expected to hear 'D Day next month' or equally from todays news - 'police to raid the homes of 300 animal rights activists next week' would you?

No, but you wouldn't expect that information to be released to the press in the first place.

In military matters a delay in some circumstances is a far different thing from stifling the freedom of the press. After all, e.g. you would never have expected to hear 'D Day next month' or equally from todays news - 'police to raid the homes of 300 animal rights activists next week' would you?

No, but you wouldn't expect that information to be released to the press in the first place.

Much of it was/is released after. In this case, there is very specific timing/role information being released by the press - which with a limited number of Army personnel there increases the probability of attack, death or serious injury for all concerned.

It's a matter of commonsense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the strategy guys have missed an opportunity here. A carefully leaked story about where HE would be based, say in a small fort, would bring dozens of attackers into the nearest village. These could all be rounded up and sent to the Tower! ( Or dropped from a height). I assume that when my idea gets used next year, the enemy will not have read Manx forums, unless they are here for the TT.

Beware of anyone on a motor bike with their face hidden, and apparently rather large.

• 9 months later...

How come the news is out - looks like one of those official leaks to me - details coming out, MoD confirming it (!) and BBC reporting his location with some nice photo-opportunity pics just when he's being pulled out. It gives Harry & Royals good publicity without being too promotional about it, and gives excuse for not sending him to anywhere serious again. Maybe Buckingham Palace is getting its PR act together - or perhaps it is all down to MoD.

A mate of mine is currently serving out there. If I leak his name to the press do you think the MOD will send him home?

This from Aunty Beeb made me smile:

There had been fears the prince, who is third in line to the throne, could become a target for the Taleban.

could become a target for the Taleban???? Like wearing British Army DPM and firing on them doesn't make you a target already then...

However first prize for best made-up name has to go to Sir Jock Stirrup. Pure class.

How come the news is out - looks like one of those official leaks to me - details coming out, MoD confirming it (!) and BBC reporting his location with some nice photo-opportunity pics just when he's being pulled out. It gives Harry & Royals good publicity without being too promotional about it, and gives excuse for not sending him to anywhere serious again. Maybe Buckingham Palace is getting its PR act together - or perhaps it is all down to MoD.

I don't think that's the case.

On the news today he's actually coming across like a pretty decent bloke who just wanted to go and do what he's been trained to do and has wanted to do ever since he was a kid and not to be treated any differently to those around him.

I think that whoever leaked this should be ashamed of themselves, by knowingly putting troops out there at even more risk than they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Archived