Tt Traffic - Commuting Into Douglas

buggane

TT Traffic - What will you do ?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I live in Laxey, work in Ramsey and our working hours are staggered so I should miss the bulk of the commuter traffic and I'll be on the least congested roads anyway. And during TT they suspend the parking on Ballure road so it's actually easier than a normal day!

one major cause of congestion is one-way systems and 'no right turn' measures, funnelling ALL he traffic to one point, which clogs up and blocks ALL routes into that point, rather than allow escape routes to be taken when others are at gridlock (example the end of Fort St. where you have to go around the roundabout in order to go back up Lord St.)

I try and plan my routes so that I am going the opposite direction to the 'masses', seems to work most of the time

It's going to be chaos though, I just wonder how many helicopters they have if ambulances and police cars are snarled up in the gridlock.

(I hope the local Police don't have any of the bikes which have been 'grounded' by other forces because of safety concerns raised by a coroner recently)

I've taken the fortnight off. I have to get to Peel one night when the practices and festival are on, and I've heard rumours that they are expecting nothing but gridlock on those nights, so that should be fun. When I have to go to Douglas I'll probably avoid the town centre if I'm driving, but it should only be in the evenings, so traffic will hopefully be better than during the day.

If I had to work, I really don't think I would drive because of the increase in accidents and I'm still shaky after the shock of seeing one at the weekend, plus I work on the wrong side of Douglas to where I live, so traffic is bad enough for me at the best of times. I would probably have to get the bus, which takes ages but on the bright side, it might do wonders for my social life.

I've taken the fortnight off. I have to get to Peel one night when the practices and festival are on, and I've heard rumours that they are expecting nothing but gridlock on those nights, so that should be fun. When I have to go to Douglas I'll probably avoid the town centre if I'm driving, but it should only be in the evenings, so traffic will hopefully be better than during the day.

Apparently people are going to be routed via Foxdale to the Peel Bay Festival at rush times. They are encouraging people to go early in the afternoon and take a picnic etc. as there is likely to be music (possibly live music) on in the afternoons.

Other info from MR discussion:

• Jersey coppers, 2 German coppers and an Irish copper will be here for TT.
  • Timings of signals are being altered to ease congestion. Coppers will be manning several major traffic light junctions.
  • Leave early if going to the Peel bay festival from Ramsey etc. - as after 6pm on practice days the course will be shut and getting to Peel will be a nightmare. There will be music on in the afternoons at Peel so head off early if you can.
  • Mountain road (one way bit) shuts at 5pm on practice nights (hour before everywhere else - to remove cones and signs).
  • The DoT have asked that Horse trams be suspended at critical times of the day
  • Cover provided inside the course by the emergency services. "Life/Death situations take precedence over sporting events"

Information on road closures available at gov.im/roadwatch and a helpline (recorded voice available just before TT) on 685888 for info on imminent road closures and likely traffic volumes.

Am on holiday for both weeks so I can avoid most of it. Hopefully I'll be getting out on my boat away from the noise & bustle for some of it at least.

Well, I know we are going to find it a huge pain and inconvenience, and I am the biggest TT supporter! But just look at the congestion in the UK at this moment, a Bank Holiday weekend! 16 mile queues of traffic at major junctions etc etc, this has been happening for years and years and a major government is unable to ease it!!

This will be a once in a lifetime fortnight, live with it people!!!!

Like most sensible people I booked my holiday first week of January and am off race week, not so lucky for practise week though. I will use my trusty Vespas and dodge hold ups by riding in the middle of the road and scraping as many cars as possible on the way. The extra manoeuverability on my bike will mean the nasty bikers won't hassle me either because they will fall over their willies if they try to catch me. I am looking forward to both weeks. I will not be going anywhere near the mountain road on either week because of the nutters that will be there. The idea that some cones and new lines will ease things is fairy dust. There will be carnage and many accidents, although no head on collisions. How many accidents on the coast road will be an interesting statistic to watch, also the Western routes will be busy.

Archived