Is The Tt Financially Proven Or Viable

He is over the last

Morning All

There does seem to be a lot of talk concerning the TT with various grumbles and praise. My question as a virgin to the forum (if it has been raised before then please forgive me) is one that would ask if a cost analysis has ever been done.

I have heard lot's of talk about how much revenue the festival brings in which is all well and good but what is the net versus net position and is it really a viable source of income if the income exists?

Questions?

How much does it cost to close the circuit?

How much does it cost to man the circuit for practise and racing?

How much does it cost per accident during racing and practise during the festival?

How much does it cost per accident on public roads during the festival?

How much is insurance costing for the festival?

Why does it seem to me that most of the burger vans, fairs, ice cream vendors all come from mainland Britain and cream the money away.

No bean counters please just what is the actual bottom line and if it is mega bucks then fair play if not far more serious questions than the above need to be addressed and answered.

I am not completely anti TT, I live on the outside of the course (by choice, although lived inside by choice) and have no sympathy for those who choose to live inside and complain but do have sympathy for local residents who may need to access the hospital or the north of the Isle of Man.

Does it really need two weeks of disruption to run what could easily be a one week festival. Then they go and do it again in September.

Looking forward to be pissed on. No harm meant just a topical subject.

Good Luck

He is over the last.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good question, but this year it is promising to be a massive event and one that I am very happy to be able to witness without paying extortionate fares and accommodation charges.

My gut feel is that the cost of the five areas you have listed is probably almost derisory in the greater scheme of things. What you really cannot put a cost on is the publicity (hopefully positive) and sheer enjoyment value that this event will bring.

We have lived with the inconvenience of the TT now for 99 years, lets give this one our best shot; it is not as though we really don't know what to expect!

We have lived with the inconvenience of the TT now for 99 years, lets give this one our best shot; it is not as though we really don't know what to expect!

This year will be the 101st anniversary of the TT, last year was in fact the 100th, but we feel more comfortable with simply adding 100 to 1907.

(To be even further pedantic of course, there wasn't a TT 2001 (foot and mouth) and some of the war years and all that).

It looks like I've gone off topic though.

Oh dear.

You might as well get a cellar of the hooch and some powder for your crabs.

Can you not be be raational boy. Not England by the way.

He is over the last

WTF? can anyone translate this?

Yeah he's replying to RC-Daft

He is saying that instead of a bottle of red wine, RC would be better off downing a whole cellar of hooch. Then he makes a strained pun on the word crab (genital variety vs Manx in a bucket type).

He then asks if RC can be rational, although "cunningly" he has attempted to render it in a comedy Manx accent with the extra a in raational, and by calling RC boy. Then he asserts that he is not from England and signs it.

you will find it very difficult if not impossible to determine the true cost - those costs bourne by taxes are generally well hidden in several budgets (eg the Police quote cost of each road death at £500,000), the costs bourne by business is I suspect quite high but written off as part of the cost of being on the Island, the costs to private individuals are also I suspect high but again seen as a price to pay for living here. Obviously to a few industries the TT is key (eg Duke Marketing) and for some who provide refreshments during the event (eg many Methodist chapels) it can be a major source of money - looking at 2001 might give some indication of those who suffered from a cancellation.

Having a rational argument re the TT with bikers is not possible - usual response is 'boat in morning' - maybe after this year's hoohah there can be some sensible look at future events - I was quite surprised at the number who put their heads over the parapet in an earlier thread saying that TT needs to be re-examined.

The TT is a celebration and to many perhaps a Raison d'être.

Frances, you will be aware that for example the people in Shetland virtually live for their annual Up Hellya celebrations, with many returning from all corners of the globe for that wintry festival.

In the Isle of Man, take away the TT and you take away the very soul of this Island. You see, there are many here that simply do not worship and live for money. Although of course there are many that do and their numbers seem to rising.

Perhaps the TT could be replaced by the world's first money festival or something like that.

Money.

I thought David Cretney specified last year that the TT costs £2 million to put on and brings in £17 million.

Most retailers will do well out of the TT period, as well as rafts of other support businesses. Moreover, the island comes to life over this period and it becomes economic to put on such things as the Peel Bay Festival and other attractions that an island of this size would normally miss out on. You cannot put a price on culture - nor quality of life, which for a majority of island residents improves dramatically over TT week. Part of our culture has simply developed because of the UK's unwillingness to close public roads for these major events.

What are the real disruptions to other businesses and people apart from traffic delays, which people have to deal with everyday in the UK and elsewhere? And what are we really talking about here - a ten or fifteen minute delay at most? Ever heard of leaving earlier? If I travel in the UK by road or train I always have to allocate an additional hour or so for travel delays when I have to get to a meeting etc. if I expect to get there on time (usually adding on 20mins per hour travelled). That's every single day I travel any distance - not just for one fortnight a year. If you don't like all the people and queues - then do your shopping when the races are on. If you don't like being blocked in on the course - then why did you buy a house on it when there were other houses available?

The same level of additional traffic disruption is experienced in the UK throughout the year on either side of every bank holiday. Festivals in the UK such as the Notting Hill Carnival or Edinburgh comedy etc. also cause similar disruption for locals. Many towns and villages in the UK put on their own 'market weeks' or other events to advertise themselves and attract visitors, and to celebrate their existence - where some locals benefit more than others.

If arranging appointments for clients etc. then it is not difficult to rearrange local appointments for visitors flying in - or maybe even worth visiting them in the UK etc. if things become that urgent. There is also an amazing new invention called the telephone. How many further hotel bedrooms would be lost if there was no TT, when the TT is the major earner of the year for many of the smaller hotels - and now represents the bulk of their summer takings?

How many visitors to the TT over the years have become clients (some high-worth clients) of IOM companies? A few years ago for example, I picked up a load of work from an engineering company by just being friendly and talking to a couple of blokes on the boat. How many companies run recruitment campaigns during the period to try and recruit people who they know already enjoy coming over here?

Planning around a two week festival is not rocket science - and for 100 years there has been a years notice from one TT to the next. The event is well known and well publicised around the world, and therefore gives every business here free indirect advertising. The bulk of the revenue made during the TT is spent on the island, and so eventually trickles into the whole economy.

Cretney's £2M was merely his advertising and hospitality budget - not the cost of running the TT which I suspect is probably nearer 5 or even 10x that figure

I cannot see it being anywhere near that much. I'd be interested to know how you came up with that figure (the equivalent of a minimum of 5000 people on £1000 a week for two weeks) - and especially when most of the people involved in running the TT do it for free.

The potential cost to the island should anyone start successfully suing for what could be described as avoidable deaths, possibly due to negligence? The sky's (potentially) the limit.

That logic could see the end of motoring full stop.

Not everyone wants to go around wearing bubble-wrap, and many people are willing to take responsibility for their own actions and take a few risks, without which would make life very boring and uninteresting.

The potential cost to the island should anyone start successfully suing for what could be described as avoidable deaths, possibly due to negligence? The sky's (potentially) the limit.

That logic could see the end of motoring full stop.

No it couldn't. At least while insurance companies are willing to underwrite for third parties. Which obviously pays them handsomely.

Archived