Is The Tt Financially Proven Or Viable

He is over the last

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its cheeky as fuck the number of come-overs who complain about it

People cannot move to a different country and then bitch about how things are "inconvenient" or “different”

You're really not going to suggest that I'm a 'come-over' are you? I'll match my Manx heritage against yours any day. It doesn't stop me from having views about the best options for the Isle of Man.

You're really not going to suggest that I'm a 'come-over' are you? I'll match my Manx heritage against yours any day. It doesn't stop me from having views about the best options for the Isle of Man.

Yay, its just like top trumps.

Up Helly 'Aa is a festival, a celebration, for the local population in Lerwick (about the size of Onchan). It isn't an event that is for 'tourists', although many people do travel to it these days. It's a one night event (bar the hangover day on Wednesday) and produces no more disruption in the town than Bonfire night does. Some roads are closed for the dragging of the galley, but it's only for an hour.

Well, in that case, it is hardly a good comparison. (Who brought this one up?)

Like it or lump it, it is part of our heritage. May be a relatively recent addition, but nonetheless, it is there as part of the mix that makes the IOM, the IOM. From being a very tiny child I have loved the atmosphere of the TT (couldn't tell you diddly squat about the bikes), we always looked forward to it because the whole island would change, but only for a short time and then it was back to tourist centre for the Lancashire and Glasgow (with the attendant blood in the bar sinks) annual holidays. Now it goes back to the IOM with a few more people for a while, but you just get on with your everyday life. Is it really that intolerable?

From as far back as I can remember, the visitors during TT week have always been very pleased to be here and have a real affection for the place and the event. Do we just say, the P&L doesn't work, so F off?

The TT to me is as much a part of the IOM as Peel Castle, kippers and Bishop Wotsisname. But there are so many more people in TT week to see the other aspects of the island and they really do want to see it. I feel quite proud of this little place, and am very pleased to welcome them in.

Yay, its just like top trumps.

It really is, only without the exciting pictures of cars and aeromoplanes and whatnot to - being Manx is like top trumps only without any of the good bits.

Up Helly 'Aa is a festival, a celebration, for the local population in Lerwick (about the size of Onchan). It isn't an event that is for 'tourists', although many people do travel to it these days. It's a one night event (bar the hangover day on Wednesday) and produces no more disruption in the town than Bonfire night does. Some roads are closed for the dragging of the galley, but it's only for an hour.

Well, in that case, it is hardly a good comparison. (Who brought this one up?)

I brought it up Gladys, and yes in the context it was intended it is a very good comparison.

The point being that the people in those remote Islands virtually live for their Up Hellya celebrations with many who have emigrated making a special return trip. Like the TT is with (many of) the Isle of Man residents, the Up Hellya festival is looked forward to throughout the year and is a cherished part of the islander's lives. I think your own post very well illustrates this point as to the TT on this here Island.

Incidentally, the Shetland Up Hellya festival is NOT for one night only and there are over half a dozen similar celebrations throughout the winter months as other smaller Islands and villages hold their own celebrations after Lerwick. Although you don't see many motorbikes you do see just about everyone partying throughout and enjoying themselves for that special time of the year. To the local community it is the very spirit of their lives. And it hasn't been going on for all that much longer than the TT has.....

Theo he say:

"Long, long live the TT".

Theo he say:

"Long, long live the TT". Well said Theo, as a comeover, I was initially attracted to the Isle of Man by the TT, now I live here and don't intend to move. The TT attracts lots of bikers, who come over with friends, return talking not just about the TT, but the Island.

Many return with family/friends for hols, (not TT time) this brings more money to the island. Some move over for good.

It's fairly dissapointing to see so many members expressing their wish for the TT to cease. Perhaps it's only the grumpy members who bother to post their feelings, whilst it is the majority (fairly silent) who want it to continue.

In the UK, I lived in the midlands, but drove all over in the course of my work. The traffic problems encountered on a daily basis are huge. The disruption caused by the TT and MGP are not huge, and are for a few days only. There really isn't anything to moan about.

It dosn't really matter whether you're into bikes or not, it's only a few days.

I understand your point now, entirely.

But the TT is seen as an influx of unwelcome visitors, not a bringing together of 'sons that have left'. So there is a bit of distance to go in the analogy.

It is the extraordinary affection that the majority of TT visitors have for the island that I think is worth bearing in mind before people start moaning. I could guarantee that if anyone goes to, for example, Port Soderick over TT week there will be a few vintage bikes there with vintage riders who will just smile and say 'It's lovely'. There is nothing else there for them, but it is lovely and they have travelled a long way, just to have a look and enjoy what we have every day.

How bad is that?

Very well put, and in fairness, there are thousands of examples like this. It's as if people forget just what a beautiful place this is to live, but just wait, there'll be a slagging off in the pipeline.

1. There is not, and never has been, any other attraction that brings/has brought so many people to the IoM.

2. Most of the people who come for the TT festival are well-behaved.

3. Most of the people who come for the TT festival appreciate the place, it's heritage, it's beauty and it's lifestyle.

4. It may be a comparatively 'recent' part of our heritage but not that much more recent than many that are automatically regarded as heritage 'treasures.' (The horse trams pre-date it by about 30 years, the MER by about 13 years, the mountain railway 11 the Groudle Glen line by about 10 and the camera obscura by no more than 15).

5. It is impossible to calculate the cost - and equally impossible to calculate the return. It is inconvenient for a few, but highly profitable for many.

6. The island is better known for the TT than for anything else. If it ever becomes more famous for the Yn Cruinnaght, it will be time to end it.

7. I am not a biker. I do not particularly like bikes and would never dream of riding one. I do not enjoy excessive speed. I love the TT Festival. I do, however, think it needs a 'makeover' to make it viable for the long-term future.

Its cheeky as fuck the number of come-overs who complain about it, in fact one of my all time favourites was the old duffer who moved to the island to retire and complained on the moanin line that he couldn’t get out of his new house in race week because it was on the course!

People cannot move to a different country and then bitch about how things are "inconvenient" or “different”

This is the isle of man not England/Britian/Scotland/Wales or any other country, anyone who moved to the island cannot have a say in the future of the TT, it’s been around for 100 years now so get used to it or "there’s a boat in the morning".

The TT is a tradition and symbol of the IOM much like cats with no tails and kippers etc...

Without having the full facts i would suggest that it makes a vast profit. I recall an economic geek suggesting that for every pound introduced to the Island of new income a further 7 pounds is generated within the economy.

I take all the previous points that it costs a fair wack on the emergancy services, hospital etc but we should remember that these people who earn the extra overtime, largely pay taxes over here and put their additional income back into the Manx economy.

and also by having the TT it means that we always have at least one good road on this fair Isle where we cannot complain about pot holes, humps and bumps (apart from Ballaugh bridge).

by the way, for any new non Manx people, please come and share this Island and enjoy the TT, soak up the atmosphere and have a little extra tax free income with homestay. (dont feel you have to put on a crash helmet to enjoy the fortnight)

why people leave the island when the TT is on beggers belief?

Its cheeky as fuck the number of come-overs who complain about it, in fact one of my all time favourites was the old duffer who moved to the island to retire and complained on the moanin line that he couldn’t get out of his new house in race week because it was on the course!

This is the isle of man not England/Britian/Scotland/Wales or any other country, anyone who moved to the island cannot have a say in the future of the TT, it’s been around for 100 years now so get used to it or "there’s a boat in the morning".

The TT is a tradition and symbol of the IOM much like cats with no tails and kippers etc...

Without having the full facts i would suggest that it makes a vast profit. I recall an economic geek suggesting that for every pound introduced to the Island of new income a further 7 pounds is generated within the economy.

I take all the previous points that it costs a fair wack on the emergancy services, hospital etc but we should remember that these people who earn the extra overtime, largely pay taxes over here and put their additional income back into the Manx economy.

and also by having the TT it means that we always have at least one good road on this fair Isle where we cannot complain about pot holes, humps and bumps (apart from Ballaugh bridge).

by the way, for any new non Manx people, please come and share this Island and enjoy the TT, soak up the atmosphere and have a little extra tax free income with homestay. (dont feel you have to put on a crash helmet to enjoy the fortnight)

An interesting post which can be summarised thus - The island makes a load of money out of the TT, therefore it is justified. How many deaths in your opinion are acceptable in the pursuit of this profit?

An interesting post which can be summarised thus - The island makes a load of money out of the TT, therefore it is justified. How many deaths in your opinion are acceptable in the pursuit of this profit?

Archived