Patrick Moore - Old-fashioned Hero!

Lonan3

Veteran stargazer Sir Patrick Moore has launched an outburst blaming women for ruining TV.

"The trouble is that the BBC is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays." He grumbled.

"The news, for example. These jokey women are not for me. Oh, for the good old days. There was one day in 2005 when BBC News went on strike. Then we had the headlines read by a man, talking the Queen's English, reading the news impeccably."

And Sir Patrick was hooked on sci-fi adventures until females spoilt those too, he ranted: "I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching."

He said of EastEnders: "Ugh! I suppose it's true to life. But so is diarrhoea."

He was equally scathing of Big Brother, adding: "I'd rather be dead in a ditch than appear."

Sense, or nonsense?

Veteran stargazer Sir Patrick Moore has launched an outburst blaming women for ruining TV.

"The trouble is that the BBC is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays." He grumbled.

"The news, for example. These jokey women are not for me. Oh, for the good old days. There was one day in 2005 when BBC News went on strike. Then we had the headlines read by a man, talking the Queen's English, reading the news impeccably."

And Sir Patrick was hooked on sci-fi adventures until females spoilt those too, he ranted: "I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching."

He was equally scathing of Big Brother, adding: "I'd rather be dead in a ditch than appear."

Sense, or nonsense?

Sense, total sense. British tv quality is utter crap with a few exceptions, but just a few. I would honestly say that Swiss stuff is better - and that's something!

A considerable portion of British TV is rubbish (and this applies just as much to the documentaries and drama, the supposed strong point of UK TV as it does the rest), but it probably has been for ages - to attribute this to the increased influence of women in the media is mental.

I put it down to the general dumbing-down of the population, supply=demand and all that.

Include political correctness, political apathy, a lack of interest in science and engineering (in other words a lack of curiosity), poor standards of English, six million chavs, 30 million 'unproductive' adults (finance-types sponging off the work of others), no concept of risk (e.g. over-sensationalising the improbable on the news), over-prioritising the importance of property etc. etc. - and you get nothing but low-budget, low-brow TV.

Eastenders is crap. I’m a woman and I don’t feel any responsibility for that rubbish at all, I certainly don't want to watch it. Patrick Moore has worked at the BBC for donkey’s years, probably longer than anyone else, so if any living person is to be held accountable for Eastenders, it should be him and he knows it. It’s hardly a programme that makes women feel good anyway, all the women are ‘victims’ of some sort and all of their relationships are based on lies. I stopped watching it years ago.

There does seem to be a lot of rubbish on TV but I don’t watch it much and I don’t think I’ve ever blamed men if I thought traditional stereotypical male programmes were on when I wanted to watch a documentary about something women are supposed to like, such as knitting.

Perhaps Moira Stuart should have a word on Patrick Moore about how, if he was a woman, the BBC would have sacked him years ago, for obvious reasons.

The women newsreaders who he dislikes for being ‘jokey’ are likely to have been given the job to cheer up men like him, so when they hear some bad news, like some footballer has died, they think “Oh no, that’s terrible……. but nice tits”.

I even get the feeling from his sexist outburst that he doesn’t think women are proper people like men, or “us”, as he said. He doesn't even like women being on TV. See his programme shift to the 4am slot…

He doesn't even like women being on TV. See his programme shift to the 4am slot…

Or at least he doesn't like women on TV getting above themselves. His comment with regards to sci-fi suggests that women on TV are ok, as long as they know their place: helping out in the background as secondary characters and nothing more.

His statement makes him sound like a resentful old fool who's clutching at straws to explain the decline in his own popularity

Patrick Moore wasn't in Knightmare was he? I thought it was some boggle eyed Jethro lookalike who presented it.

I'm sure it was more of a Chris Rhea (sp?) lookalike to be honest.

Still, priceless comments:

He was equally scathing of Big Brother, adding: "I'd rather be dead in a ditch than appear."[/i]

Maybe he's just taking the piss anyway in a Cholmondley-Warner sort of style.:)

"Patrick Moore Dead in A Ditch" that would make a great reality tv programme!

They dont make them like they used to

Archived