Brian Wilson Coming To The Villa

mojomonkey

Thing to remember is that almost no-one in the world has ever heard of Steve Hillage or System 7, no matter how good their 6 fans think they are.

Brian Wilson may be old but he is (was?) a genius of immense proportions and changed the face of pop/rock music for ever. he changed a four-piece group of 3 guitars with drums into a full-on multi-tracked and heavily produced pop song with synths and everything - and everything clever the Beatles ever did with production they learned from Brian Wilson, and so did countless other copycats.

He's playing virtually at the end of your street. You'd be mad not to go and see him if you can

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't trying to compare Hillage with Brian Wilson. I totally agree with you that the guy was/is a musical genius. I'll be with everyone else next week trying to book tickets.

Thing to remember is that almost no-one in the world has ever heard of Steve Hillage or System 7, no matter how good their 6 fans think they are.

I have never heard of Brian Wilson but I know thousands of people who love System 7/Steve Hillage. Sorry Static, I stand corrected :) Gong unconvention...nice.

:) Gong unconvention...nice.

Nice....could think of more expressive superlatives to describe an amazing weekend of music ^_^

I lost count of the number of people I spoke to that weekend who just couldn't wait to see the Steve Hillage band on the Sunday but I know it was a lot more than 6!!! :rolleyes: System 7 blew me away again on the Saturday night after jamming with Eat Static but then to see Steve Hillage play a solo set on the Sunday followed by two and a half hours of almost the original Gong line-up was sheer bliss.

Anyway, digressing slightly, just hope I can get a ticket for Brian Wilson now!

So now that tickets are on sale, who has booked? I know I have. I kept away from passing comment on this subject until I had my tickets in my grubby little hand.

Brian Wilson is one of the most important musicians of the 20th century. Not only for his music back in the sixties and seventies but for his technical wizardary. At the age of just 19 he changed the way music is recorded and every recording studio in the world still records on the same theories. He introduced the world to new sound in music. For example, the bicycle bell and the empty plastic container. That may sound odd but he was and is the most experimental musician in centuries.

Paul McCartney called "God Only Knows" the best song of all time. Who are we to disagree with Macca?

After the Beach Boys he released many albums with varying degrees of success. One of my favourites is called Orange Crate Art in conjunction with Van Dyke Parks. A very unusual and creative album that you can just listen to again and again. "Imagination" from about 8 years ago was massive world wide and had 2 top 40 singles in the UK charts. And then there is the excellent "Smile" which needs no introduction.

Anyone who claims to be serious about modern music who does not have tickets, or at least want to see Brian Wilson is not really serious about modern music. This opportunity will never happen again. Miss it at you peril!

I have never heard of Brian Wilson but I know thousands of people who love System 7/Steve Hillage. Sorry Static, I stand corrected :) Gong unconvention...nice.

Never heard of the Beach Boys then

• 1 month later...

What was the snizzle with this? Good gig?

Was gutted when I realised I'd already made plans for last night - would have loved to have gone!

Apologies if someone's already commented on it - I did nosey but all I could see were people trying to sell tickets when I searched.

I'm not a big Brian Wilson fan, but that was absolutely brilliant last night. It was sheer, spine-tingling nostalgia. A great performer, far more animated than I've seen him for years, and a great band of musicians. The crowd was superb, and at least 1000 happy people revelled in a great show.

If you prefer to wallow in mud, bodies and sewage at venues such as Glastonbury, it will still have cost you a few Villa Marina tickets to get there.

Well done to the promoter. I hope that you made a respectable profit on the venture, as you deserve it. Perhaps you and Street Heritage might consider taking over the Steam Packet? :D

Archived