[BBC News] Plans for new cruise ship berth

Newsbot

From the BBC News article, "The government says it will also be available as an emergency landing point, which will benefit fishing boats, leisure craft and also the RNLI Lifeboat to land ill and injured people."

Or potentially competition for the Steam Racket too?....... Hope so!

Not likely with the User agreement.

And if so, why couldn't the 'competition' use the existing facilities?

My understanding was & please correct me if I'm wrong (its the only way I'll learn!) was that the current facilities (landing ramps) were sold off to the steam racket by the govt and that had been the problem in the past for competition.

Not likely with the User agreement.

And if so, why couldn't the 'competition' use the existing facilities?

My understanding was & please correct me if I'm wrong (its the only way I'll learn!) was that the current facilities (landing ramps) were sold off to the steam racket by the govt and that had been the problem in the past for competition.

The 'old' linkspan on Victoria Pier, was built, and is still owned / operated by the Steam Packet. The 'new' linkspan (the big blue one) on King Edward Pier was built by the Government (although the SPCo did make a sizeable contribution), The Packet also pay a sizeable sum each year to the DOT, in addition to Port Taxes, for it's use.

The User agreement says that only (IIRC) up to twelve times annually can the span be used by another operator carrying out passenger / freight operations similar to the SPCo.

Doesn't stop a side loading vessel using the piers as far as I know. But then you wouldn't get the freight, which is where the money is.

The real problem with competition, is that there just isn't enough business to make it viable for two operators. There is enough for one to live fairly comfortably, but not for two to share the pot.

Archived