Tt Own Goal

ccm

I've lifted this from the TT Viable Financial topic which was frankly stale - UNTIL THIS GEM CAME ALONG

Going back to the original question -- it's unlikely it ever WILL when the title sponsor (Bennets Bike Insurance) tells its customers that they will not be covered under their existing policies on the road between Ramsey and the Creg on Mad Sunday, apparently because of the way the road is treated... MCN today, P14, with quotes.

Own goal, anyone?

This post has been edited by jonnyrotten: Today, 01:06 PM

This is so typical Isle of Man - what an own goal. Just off to break a habit and buy MCN (since the marshal uproar) because I have to see this for myself!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/new...amp;R=EPI-90816

Apparently a few companies are now going on about it, how does this work then? its an open public road that anyone from a 50cc ped to an “artic” can use , is everyone’s insurance going to be voided?

I’ve just called my insurance at Kestrel and they haven’t been told on any exemptions from my normal policy.

No they are the SPONSORS OF THE ISLE OF MAN TT RACES

And they won't be offering cover on the Mountain to anyone who is insured by them and wants to ride from Ramesey to Creg when the road is one-way only.

There's a standard exclusion in motor policies about race tracks, and using your vehicle to race. If insurers are going to view parts of the course that are one way (and unrestricted presumably?) as a race track, then it's a massive headache for the Manx Govt. This could be interesting.

It sounds like some other bike insurance companies are also saying that the policyholder is not covered over the one way mountain section.

Can I assume that the same thinking would also apply to car insurance? Would the same "logic" apply?

During the stage when they consulted the general public about this, I can't believe the issue of insurance wasn't raised by somebody more in the know. It's not something I thought of, especially seeing as the government were behind this, but thinking on, I have known biker friends to get insurance cover so they can race their bikes at Jurby airfield.

Ok, so it's not a "closed" road, as it says in that article, but I think most people agree that by making the Mountain one-way, it's almost as good as making it a race-track.

Jinkies.

Another disgraceful attempt by thieving insurers to take your annual premiums and give you a good rogering to ensure your loyalty.

It is NOT down to interpretation at all! ALL insurance companies should be reminded that the Mountain Road is a public highway unless closed officially for racing purposes and that any policy providing cover against insurable losses and/or third party claims on a public road in the Isle of Man MUST be honoured.

I haven't seen the article about Bennetts, but have to say it's a wonderfully ironic cock-up of the first order, and unless they retract this they will lose FAR more business than they gain by sponsoring events. A delicious PR nightmare that should have some pimply actuary fired with any luck.

It is NOT down to interpretation at all! ALL insurance companies should be reminded that the Mountain Road is a public highway unless closed officially for racing purposes and that any policy providing cover against insurable losses and/or third party claims on a public road in the Isle of Man MUST be honoured.

What he said. I really don't see how there's any way of them absolving responsibility for this.

What he said. I really don't see how there's any way of them absolving responsibility for this.

Also what he said...as that would lead to all one way streets (Victoria street, North Quay (new bit by The Bridge), Walpole Avenue etc etc ) being invalidated for insurance purposes!!

granted they are not derestricted limits but hey, that's just a speed limit issue not a public highway issue...

So if I was to drive home over the mountain I am at risk of driving whilst uninsured.

Hobsons choice really, an uninsured drive over the mountain or a rsiky drive along the coast road as lots of bikers tear along to Ramsey intent on another uninsured mountain ride

So if I was to drive home over the mountain I am at risk of driving whilst uninsured.

Hobsons choice really, an uninsured drive over the mountain or a rsiky drive along the coast road as lots of bikers tear along to Ramsey intent on another uninsured mountain ride

Missing the point a bit, though I dare say you can pay extra and get covered for that stretch of road in those two weeks,but the cost per mile may be a bit excessive.

however, Bennets shoot themselves in the foot by A just not being the bikers' friend they would like to be and/or B making a cynical gesture of sponsoring the TT (just how much did that cost?) and planning to recoup the cost by charging all their customers extra to ride there.

Poor old Isle of Man looks a bit silly however you view Bennets - we've signed up a title sponsor who thinks it's too dangerous to visit...

Archived