Tt Own Goal

ccm

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking about it, I'm actually a bit surprised that UK insurance companies don't have a standard exclusion for unrestricted roads.

Most of us are probably insured with a UK insurance company so we'd be a bit stuffed driving outside of the towns. We'd all have to get Manxman policies from Kestrel.

I would be very surprised to see the insurance companies win on this in case of a claim. The road might be made one way, but it is clearly still an open public highway. It is still policed and the Road Traffic Act still applies.

After what I said earlier, I have re-read the article in MCN. I don't expect MCN to do their homework when it comes to the TT but I am very surprised that Bennetts (the sponsors of the TT) apparently said, “Because it ['it' meaning Mad Sunday - although they should know that the roads are one-way for two weeks, not one day] takes place on a closed road it is treated in exactly the same way as a track."

No matter what I think about making the Mountain Road one-way, this statement is embarrassingly wrong from the sponsor and if they believe it's true, they'd still have to cough up. Serves them right. The TT organisers must be pissed off.

I would be very surprised to see the insurance companies win on this in case of a claim. The road might be made one way, but it is clearly still an open public highway. It is still policed and the Road Traffic Act still applies.

If that is not the case then surely this has been an unknown problem in the past when Mad Sundays have been made one way on safety grounds.

I recall Prince William when he came over for the TT; did he ride on the back of a bike on the Mad Sunday?

Proposed new headline: The future King rides on public roads, uninsured!

This is a ridiculous story!

The road is covered by the road traffic act and is open to the public, no entry fee is paid, and normal highway laws apply.

Is the M25 a racetrack because the traffic flows in one direction in a carrigeway? are one way streets and systems racetracks??

MCN sensationalism again, gutter journalism of the first order! They probably asked some poor tea boy in Bennetts office! Probably signing on as we speak poor lad!

Even the very suggestion of this is highly irresponsible. Some berk will almost definitely see this as an opportunity to take to the road without insurance thinking that as everyone else has paid for insurance and they're not covered, why bother buying it at all.

It is not the insurance companies that make the law. A valid certificate of motor insurance must state a declaration from the licenced insurer to the effect of "I/we certify that the insurance policy to which this certificate relates satisfies the requirements of the relevant law applicable in Great Britian, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Jersey, the Island of Guernsey and the Island of Alderney" This will then be signed by an authorised person of the insurance company, usually the managing director.

Therefore it stands that if a vehicle is used on a public road where the road traffic act applies in any of the abovementioned jurisdictions, the insurance policy also applies. Insurers on the island are regulated by the Isle of Man Government Insurance and Pensions Authority. Insurers in the UK are regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and no amendment to any motor insurance policy can be made without full and proper written notice to the individual policyholders. Usually by an endorsement.

If someone were to drive or ride on the mountain road without insurance they should expect to be prosecuted. If they have insurance they will not be prosecuted, at least not for having no insurance and if they have an accident the minimum legal requirement is Third Party. Anything extra would be a civil matter directly with the insurance company under the contract of insurance. Regardless of what speed, stupidity or anything else you were doing at the time, the insurance company cannot avoid liabilty to a third party and that's the law.

Again, very, very irresponsible to come out with such stupid advice. A little knowledge can indeed be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands!

Stav.

Sounds like Bennetts have done for their reputation as bike insurers what Gerald Ratner's (in)famous speech to the Institute of Directors once did for the reputation of their products:

"We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?" I say, because it's total crap."

Ooops...

MR said they had spoken to Bennetts on this evening's mandate and they said their policies would still cover bikers, but that you should, in any case, check the terms of your policy. Pretty sure the other insurer Norwich Union gave the same advice. Seems like MCN have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or something.

Yep, more of a storm in a teacup, than an own goal, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the number of bikes out all over the TT, let alone mad sunday. Someone talking rubbish, someone printing it.

I hope ccm didn't rush to get a MCN, cos it would be last weeks, it only arrives here today. :D

only 18 days to go, grin, grin.

I can't see Bennets having a leg to stand on over this, if the same criteria were applied to the rest of Europe then riders would not be covered for unrestricted sections of motorway in Germany.

I'm sure Amadeus knows more about this, but isn't this exactly what happens? On 'unrestricted' sections of autobahn, you can drive at high speeds, but I think above 80mph or so, then your insurance reverts to third party only, or whatever they call it.

Having read through the bumf that came with the Courier today, the only change is that there will be no traffic from Creg to Ramsey. It will still be illegal to cross solid white lines, i.e. those expecting 14 days of Mad Sunday will be disappointed.

Archived