Tt Own Goal

ccm

Here is my conspiracy:

All publicity is good publicity.

I haven't bought MCN for a year or so, but I've just looked on their website and there is a big Bennetts Insurance banner on their website, so I assume that Bennetts are a big advertising revenue stream for MCN. Why would MCN want to upset one of their main advertisers?

MCN run a negative story about Bennetts, the story is sensationalised and Bennetts name gets mentioned a lot.

Bennetts customers phone Bennetts and find that their insurance is fine. BUT perhaps other bikers phone their insurance company whos phone lines are engaged because 1000s of other bikers are doing the same. Their insurace company aren't ready for the question and know nothing about the one way system in TT week, and can't confirm if they are covered or not. The said biker is coming to the IOM in two weeks and wants their insurance sorted.

A quick phone call to Bennetts who have extra staff in their call centre because they knew it was going to happen, and they sign up a load of new customers.

MCN get a sensational story and sell more papers, Bennetts get publicity that also lets people know that they are the title sponsor of the TT, and a load of new customers.

Clever marketing if you ask me....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure Amadeus knows more about this, but isn't this exactly what happens? On 'unrestricted' sections of autobahn, you can drive at high speeds, but I think above 80mph or so, then your insurance reverts to third party only, or whatever they call it.

IIRTR, there is some sort of standard clause that if you drive at more than the recommended Autobahn speed (130KM/H) and anything happens, your insurance can reduce payout/revert to third party - don't nail me on that, though - been a while...

By stating that it was my conspiracy and therefore not backed up with any evidence or researched I wasn't expecting it to be taken seriously, it was more an attempt at satire. :)

Why did they cancel their policies when Bennetts have confirmed that riders will be covered?

I just checked their website and noticed that they do a special policy for bikes over 10 years old kept in a garage, and limited annual mileage, so I'll be giving them a call later.

A friend of mine told me that they rang Bennetts on Wednesday and were told they weren't covered by their policy..

they rang up yesterday to cancel and were told they were covered so I think someone at Bennetts has made a boo-boo

Archived