But Its Going To Be Over-dominant And Too Tall For Onchan

copycat

so the new building on Main Road, next to the IOM Bank, is 7 storeys high - and have you seen the height of the tower crane? - looks like the building is going to be a bit big for Onchan and the surroundings don't you think?

What is going there? Apartments? If so what happened to all the money collected for the Onchan Parish Hall? I remember being involved in a fund raiser many mnay moons ago.

Funny you should mention it Manxman27, I was reading about the opening of the Cherry Orchard and the £250,000 tourism grant they had to build it only yesterday and wondering when it turned from a apart-hotel to a sheltered accommodation place - my great aunt has just bought an appartment there. I know these things happen, businesses fail etc etc but surely the governement arent going to be donating more tax payers money to these types of tourist accommodation scams and that is all they are, look at the recent tourism grant thing our ex-cheif ministers wife was involved in.

What is going there? Apartments? If so what happened to all the money collected for the Onchan Parish Hall? I remember being involved in a fund raiser many mnay moons ago.

The parish hall is round the corner at the top of royal avenue. It was never going to be on that site on main road onchan, they just had the signs there for the fundraising.

Mike Priest put planning permission in for a hotel on that site 6/7 years ago. As far as I know it's always been earmarked for a hotel/motel premise. I'm just amazed that it's finally going ahead. I have no idea if it's Mr Priest who is carrying it forward now though.

I would imagine that a lot of the hold up was taking into account the listed buildings on site. It will be interested to see how they are incorporated into the final plans.

It's not a hotel. Was going to be at one point, but it's a custom built appartment complex from the start now.

so the new building on Main Road, next to the IOM Bank, is 7 storeys high - and have you seen the height of the tower crane? - looks like the building is going to be a bit big for Onchan and the surroundings don't you think?

The planning process is public and very accessable. It's a bit late to complain once construction has started, don't you think?

Funny you should mention it Manxman27, I was reading about the opening of the Cherry Orchard and the £250,000 tourism grant they had to build it only yesterday and wondering when it turned from a apart-hotel to a sheltered accommodation place - my great aunt has just bought an appartment there. I know these things happen, businesses fail etc etc but surely the governement arent going to be donating more tax payers money to these types of tourist accommodation scams and that is all they are, look at the recent tourism grant thing our ex-cheif ministers wife was involved in.

and to my mind this is what the long term goal is for the Golf Links Derbyhaven - put it down as a rebuild of some sort of tourism facility and then say its not viable and turn it into private apartments with no tourism accommodation.

The Cherry Orchard apartments aren't sheltered housing, or they weren't when they started to sell them off a few years back. Thought about buying one myself but they are poky little things and there was no guarantee the service charges wouldn't spiral out of control over the years.

and to my mind this is what the long term goal is for the Golf Links Derbyhaven - put it down as a rebuild of some sort of tourism facility and then say its not viable and turn it into private apartments with no tourism accommodation.

Remember what happened when they tried this at the Mount Murray ?

Thats right, fuck all.

Archived