Tourism Is On Its Arse...

Amadeus

Passenger figures plummet

THE number of visitors to the Island last year was the lowest in a decade, barring the tourism slump of 2001 caused by the foot-and-mouth scare. There was a 4.5 per cent drop in the number of visitors in 2006 – and their level of spending was also down.

The results of the latest passenger survey, published by the Treasury's economic affairs division, make dismal reading for tourism chiefs.

They show a total of 306,590 visitors came by scheduled flight or ferry in 2006, compared with 320,991 in 2005, which in turn was 20,000 down on 2004.

It is estimated that the total number of visitors, including those who did not travel on scheduled services and were therefore not sampled, was 322,887.

Of the 306,590 visitors, 224,314 were here for leisure purposes, of which 49 per cent (109,753, down from 115,107 in 2005) stayed in paid accommodation, 49 per cent with friends and relatives (109,347, down from 110,619 in 2005) and the remaining 2 per cent (5,214, down from 6,614 in 2005) were here on a day visit.

A further 82,276 visitors came to the Island for business purposes, down from 88,651 in 2005.

Some of the comments below the story hit the nail quite well - words such as "too expensive", "Steam Packet", and "Air Travel" pop up quite often...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is statistical data obviously with a very heavy margin of error. On around at least 220 or so trips in around 5 years I've never been asked the purpose of my visit once, and that's booking from 75% UK and 25% IOM addresses.

If these figures are to be believed, you also have to take into account technology - after all what s the point of visiting the island if you can make a call on a telephone/video conference and, perhaps after initial contacts, do most of your business by email and website these days.

Cost is an issue but as an Island we are either incredibly complacent or sensitive to critisism so frequently I here people from all walks of life saying how good X, Y & Z are in the IoM when in reality they are average but that is it.

For example I often here people praising the beeches in Peel and Port Erin the beeches and are as probably as good as we have easily accesable and next to facilities. They are praised by some as top quality but on both to get to the seas you have to pick your way over pebble, sea weed etc, and the water is not exactly brilliant. Put simply they do not compare with many parts of the UK where you will find mile after mile of clean perfectly safe sandy beaches

We have great country side but is it better than Snowdonia, The Lake District, The Cairngorms, Northumbria, Dartmoor. In respect of costal scenary again there is plenty in the Island but is it better than in Cornwall, Pemrokshire Coast etc

Heritage again we have but we are not alone.

We have places to go and things to do but I do not see the whole raft of leaflets of ideas that I see when I go away to the UK trying to get me to visit attractions in the area be it the local gardens, butterfly parks, amusement parks, boat trips, kids farm etc.

I am not trying to denegrate the Island and we should be proud of what the Island has to offer. But we also need to be realistic and and not blinkered by pride into believing that much of what we have to offer ranks higher than it actually does and that other parts of the UK do not have the same or better.

I also believe tourists requirements are not given a huge priority in the Island. As an example we run steam trains but the same limited service throughout the period it is operating, once every two hours. I am aware of the reason why and it is ok for a ride there and back but it is not condusive to families who want to stop off, go for a walk, to the beech, have lunch somewhere etc if they think that they might have to wait for 2hrs for a train to go home. In the UK all the tourism lines up their services in the childrens holidays but not the IoM. They also tend to open over half terms etc. In the IoM two years ago the steam trains stopped on the Sunday before the Autumn half term! Horse trams only start in May, if they are meant to be of interest for tourists and we are trying to attract tourists why are they not run at least over Easter.

That is the rant over but I do feel that frequently we hide behind the cost of getting to the Island being an issue. It is wrong to ignore it but in addition I feel that the Island in effect does not make an effort for tourists when they are here but rather justs says here we loke it or lump it. I do not feel that we make the effort that say Cornwall or North Wales does to welcome and "entertain" tourists once they get here that would want them to return and accept the costs. I use Cornwall and North Wales as examples as whilst they have a bigger tourist base than we do they are similar in respect of natural attractions, heritage, beeches coutryside etc similar. They can both also be a pain to get to in the holiday season with the traffic even if it is not a huge cost.

I have to agree with Lost Login on this one. Yes, cost is a factor. It is not only a major factor but is probably also the single biggest deterrent to potential visitors.

It is not, however, the sole deterrent.

For far too long, we have merely paid lipservice to the concept of 'tourist facilities.' Complacency has done a considerable degree of damage to the tourism industry, not just recently, but for many years past. If the will existed - and if the politicians were far-sighted enough - I'm sure that a good deal could be done to make the island more attractive to those who are considering a holiday somewhere in the British Isles. We will never, of course, regain the tourist base that we've lost over the last few decades - other than for special events such as this year's TT - but there are many simple steps that could be taken to make it a more family-friendly resort, with the added bonus that it can be seen to be a relatively 'safe' destination for that part of the market.

Blaming cost - and nothing else - is a rather blinkered attitude.

I have to agree with Lonans comments. Cost is probably the major factor but as he says, to restore the Industry and update it needs political willpower and I'd say they're more interested in the financial secor as the principal money maker. Shortsighted to put all the eggs in one basket but they don't seem to appreciate that. Face it a lot of the seafront potential has been lost to other developements viz " executive dwellings" and as Lonan points out it wil never get back to the heydays but there's a potential to build it back up outside of the TT. As he says - "For far too long, we have merely paid lipservice to the concept of 'tourist facilities.' Complacency has done a considerable degree of damage to the tourism industry, not just recently, but for many years past. If the will existed - and if the politicians were far-sighted enough. " That sums it up neatly.

On cost, two people I know flew over from Newcastle last April for a week. Went self catering in Douglas. Flights and accom came to £800. - Where in the world could you go for that amount for a week. Quite a few places. Very few places you couldn't get to maybe?

PS Bring back the boating pool in the Sunken Gardens!

Happy days as a kid there.

That is the sort of complacency that I refer to. Many of us like the IoM and think it is a great place but it is not unique. In Cornwall, North Wales, Cumbria etc they are also all within half an hours drive of each other!

But we have these beaches, dramatic coastlines and countryside all within a half-hour drive of each other.

Perhaps the Island can be bettered individually, but as a package it is a very attractive tourism spot. Cost (and the weather) is the issue.

I agree that the IoM will never regain the tourist base it has lost but it should have a role as a family friendly resort. I believe we do not have that reputation and it is not a question of cost putting tourists off but that they are not being attracted to the Island in the first place. If you were choosing a family holiday in the UK and looked at what was available would the IoM attract you ahead of the one trying to get you to go to North Wales, Cornwall, Cumbria, parts of Scotland etc. Presently per the satistics 50% of tourists are visting relatives and friends. Of the rest a fair few might well be visting due to past history and links with the IoM which shows we are very poor in attracting the "floating" holiday maker.

Hiding behing the cost issue is is therefore in my opinion a red heading as many people are not getting as far as looking at the cost. We have to attract people to want to come to the IoM in the first place. At present I am not sure they do even if there was no cost. After that whilst there are many who want a cheap no frills holiday there are many who want to a family based UK holiday and are prepared to fork out for it provided they think it is value for money. For that you need good accomodation with plenty to do for all the family what ever the weather in my view people are then prepared to spend. After all tourists are generally happ to dig deep when on holiday for days out and things like Centre parcs are not cheap

So yes ultimately some will be put off and are put off by the cost but I am sure that more never get as far as considering the cost as we are not considered a base for a family holiday

I have to agree with Lost Login on this one. Yes, cost is a factor. It is not only a major factor but is probably also the single biggest deterrent to potential visitors.

It is not, however, the sole deterrent.

For far too long, we have merely paid lipservice to the concept of 'tourist facilities.' Complacency has done a considerable degree of damage to the tourism industry, not just recently, but for many years past. If the will existed - and if the politicians were far-sighted enough - I'm sure that a good deal could be done to make the island more attractive to those who are considering a holiday somewhere in the British Isles. We will never, of course, regain the tourist base that we've lost over the last few decades - other than for special events such as this year's TT - but there are many simple steps that could be taken to make it a more family-friendly resort, with the added bonus that it can be seen to be a relatively 'safe' destination for that part of the market.

Blaming cost - and nothing else - is a rather blinkered attitude.

That is the sort of complacency that I refer to. Many of us like the IoM and think it is a great place but it is not unique. In Cornwall, North Wales, Cumbria etc they are also all within half an hours drive of each other!

Umm, the Isle of Man is 227 square miles - Cornwall is 1370 square miles, Cumbria is 2629 square miles (Lake District alone is 885 sq. miles) and North Wales is 2429 sq. miles (if you take the North Wales Police area as a guide).

Yes I appreciate the difference in size but just because they are larger does not mean that places have to be more than half an hour apart in those places. Going from the beach to the countryside can still take minutes it is just that there is potentially a whole lot more of them. The area is only relevant if you are trying to explore the whole of an area in reality that is not the case. Maybe I should have said Snowdonia or a part of Snowdonia rather than North Wales and mentioned towns in Cornwall or given the Isle of White as an example in respect ofthe South Coast. But it does not alter the point that what the IoM has to offer many parts of the UK also have that are equally accesable once you are there. The only thing that is generally unique is that we are an Island

Umm, the Isle of Man is 227 square miles - Cornwall is 1370 square miles, Cumbria is 2629 square miles (Lake District alone is 885 sq. miles) and North Wales is 2429 sq. miles (if you take the North Wales Police area as a guide).

Cost to get here makes mass tourism a non starter. But lack of entertainment facilities finishes it all off.

- No decent Cinema

- Only one decent sized venue (run by fuddy duddies)

- Lack of decent accommodation

- Lack of nightlife (no not that awful place in Ramsey),

- More decent resteraunts required

- Lack of other facilities ice rink, kids play areas (no Manxland), etc.

Plus although I generally support our heritage site much more could be done to make them better. Plus a mines museum in Laxey. Restore the pier in Ramsey. A TT museum (lack of which is criminal).

The cruise ship landing stage is a good idea. But everything else is required.

Planing rules need to vastly change on this island and the current tourist board / ministry should have a major shake up and rethink.

And the Irish Sea is approximately 40,000 square miles. So what?

Wherever you go on holiday, you still want to have something to do when you get there - and if the facilities are good enough you don't mind paying the price.

Cost to get here makes mass tourism a non starter. But lack of entertainment facilities finishes it all off.

- No decent Cinema

- Only one decent sized venue (run by fuddy duddies)

- Lack of decent accommodation

- Lack of nightlife (no not that awful place in Ramsey),

- More decent resteraunts required

- Lack of other facilities ice rink, kids play areas (no Manxland), etc.

Plus although I generally support our heritage site much more could be done to make them better. Plus a mines museum in Laxey. Restore the pier in Ramsey. A TT museum (lack of which is criminal).

The cruise ship landing stage is a good idea. But everything else is required.

Planing rules need to vastly change on this island and the current tourist board / ministry should have a major shake up and rethink.

All the above clearly apply, but we must look at family requirements. If you walk down Douglas promenade, apart from the TTstop, where can you buy an Ice Cream? When you get off the boat or arive at the airport why isn't there a rack full of brocuhures of our attractions, or at least a big sign to point you to the Tourist Office. What is the point of all the heritage sites opening at Easter when schools are out the week before. Why isn't there a sign saying you can get drinks in the Villa but more importantly, why can't you get an ice cream and sit on a bench on top of the villa arcade??

And the Irish Sea is approximately 40,000 square miles. So what?

Wherever you go on holiday, you still want to have something to do when you get there - and if the facilities are good enough you don't mind paying the price.

I was responding to the statement that everything is within 30 minutes in Cornwall etc - at that size, apart from the very tip of Cornwall etc, I doubt very much that it is.

Archived