Public Meeting - Water Fluoridation

saveourwater

"Depending ont he volume and the frequency of supplies to the Island, it could require a large volume of storage, I'd be surprised if there is much free space in the building to handle that, particularly at Douglas."

in reply to the above, there will be plenty of space to store it. and the appropriate and manditory storage requirements would also be in place.

as they are on industrial chemical sites. there will be no extra danger to the community around. just as there is no more danger to the community from the alumium sulphate and the chlorine that has been used at the current works for the last 70 years or so.

the enginners who design these things are not idiots and know will have been building such plants for many years.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disodium Hexafluorosilicate is not the proposed chemical (although they could also use this if they wanted to).

What is proposed is the raw acid - Hexafluorosilicic Acid. This has been proposed as the chemical of choice due to supposed 'safety' and because it is cheaper overall as it requires less handling.

If over 99% of this acid ends up down the drain before ever going anywhere near a childs mouth then that is disposing of it by other means. Not 10%, 20% or even 50 or 60% but over 99% will go down the drain before reaching human mouths, not mania just truth.

Hexafluorosilicic Acid is much, much worse than other chemicals used in the water industry. It is very dangerous to transport and store and will actually pose significant risks to residents, not only around the plant but living by the ports and along the delivery routes if there were ever to be an accident.

The T&GW union voted against transportation of this particular chemical because of the risks involved.

"Depending ont he volume and the frequency of supplies to the Island, it could require a large volume of storage, I'd be surprised if there is much free space in the building to handle that, particularly at Douglas."

in reply to the above, there will be plenty of space to store it. and the appropriate and manditory storage requirements would also be in place.

as they are on industrial chemical sites. there will be no extra danger to the community around. just as there is no more danger to the community from the alumium sulphate and the chlorine that has been used at the current works for the last 70 years or so.

the enginners who design these things are not idiots and know will have been building such plants for many years.

Based on what understanding of the designs for these plants? I know what I am basing my comments on. If you are interested, please feel free to check my previous posts for what my previous employment was.

.........what my previous employment was........

Unsuccessful candidate for the Keys?

LOL very true, although not classed as employment. That pastime cost me a lot more than it earned me.

Apologies if my reply seemed a little harsh pontiuspilot, but I have been involved in a number of water treatment schemes and in that time have known some engineers who although not stupid were definitely lacking in intuitive forethought. Similarly the modern contracts issued for the design and construction of these schemes doesn't encourage designers, builders or clients to make allowances for "a bit extra just in case" (although I am a supporter of the target cost contracts for schemes such as these over the older fixed price forms of contract). Space is always at a premium, contractors dont build any more than they have to, clients don't like to pay for anything they don't have to and in this case, would the public appreciate spending extra to create an empty concrete space if it didn't need to?

I understand the new treatment works were designed a number of years ago, before a requirement for flouride dosing become a likely possible reality. Those were a matter of public record, and Tynwald enquiry. Whilst space and appropriate storage aren't key issues in the overall discussion of flouridation in general, they are issues that would need to be addressed at implementation locally and are certainly issues that would have to be taken into account by any polticians making promises/statements for for against (such as timescales and cost).

IRIS design engineers? (vibration, leaks, the whole IRIS concept)

Peel Harbour design Engineers? (cost doubled from £1.5million due to not surveying bed rock properly)

I am sure there are a few more examples knocking about.

• 1 month later...

We have organised another public meeting on the subject of water fluoridation.

Details as follows:-

PUBLIC MEETING - WATER FLUORIDATION

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 20TH 2007 - STARTS 7PM

LOCH PROM METHODIST CHURCH, DOUGLAS

FREE ENTRY - ALL ARE WELCOME

The case for fluoridation will be presented by Dr Kishore of the IOM DHSS Public Health Directorate and Professor Lennon, Chairman of the British Fluoridation Society.

To present the against fluoridation our group have nominated Dr Paul Connett PHD, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry, St. Lawrence University and Executive Director of Fluoride Action Network.

There will be ample time for questions from the audience after the initial presentations by the above speakers.

You may not be aware of the British Fluoridation Society, they exist solely to promote and implement UK government policy on fluoridation. To attain a better understanding of what they are about you can visit their website here BFS - LINK and read a copy of their 'Mission Statement' in the attached document.

The BFS have already played a major part in the efforts to fluoridate the Manx water supply, you may also be unaware of the following information:-

1. 1997 Feasibility study into fluoridation of the Manx water supply had major input from the BFS, but as the BFS exist solely to ‘promote’ fluoridation this report can be regarded as heavily biased in favour of fluoridation.

2. The above feasibility study stated that in order for fluoridation to be carried out we would need to reduce to 2 treatment works. As these new treatment works were due to come online the BFS had a member in place within the Public Health Directorate. Dr Emerson has been a member of the BFS since 2002 and led the campaign for fluoridation since it was first announced to the Manx public in September 2003, the Public Health Directorate are also ‘corporate members’ of the BFS.

3. In January 2006 Mr Guy Harkin a member of the BFS gave a lecture to members of the Manx medical profession, he was listed as Director of the Greater Manchester Dental Alliance. The organisation does not exist, Guy Harkin was Director of the Greater Manchester Fluoridation Alliance which is now the North West Region Fluoridation Evaluation Group. Guy Harkin was not a doctor or dentist, he is actually an economist and former Labour deputy leader of Bolton Metropolitan Council, he has now retired from his post.

4. Current DHSS leaflets entitled ‘Water Fluoridation and Children’ were produced by the UK National Fluoride Information Centre (NFIC), the NFIC is run by Professor A. Blinkhorne a prominent member of the BFS.

5. On July 31 2007 Professor Lennon, Chairman of the BFS wrote to the Examiner newspaper and had the audacity to finish his letter with the following statement:-

“I am pleased to hear that you are considering water fluoridation on the Island and my colleagues and I would be more than happy to assist in any way we can.”

In reality his organisation has helped orchestrate the plan to fluoridate the Manx water supply over the past 10 years.

There have been no new water fluoridation schemes anywhere in the UK since 1985, but a concerted effort to fluoridate the Manx water supply is being pushed very hard.

British_Fluoridation_Society__Mission_Statement__Jan_Oct_1985.pdf

Is that St Lawrence University NY? Is he coming specially on your invitation? What's his PhD in?

Yes, it is New York, USA. Yes, Dr Connett is coming specially on our invitation, details of the Fluoride Action Network can be found here FAN - LINK.

Dr Connett holds a PhD in Chemistry, he is English but has lived in New York for many years now.

I have attached Dr Connett's Biography and CV for anyone that is interested.

Paul_s_CV_Short_and_Long__23_February_06.doc

google it, either spelling would suffice?

I asked the OED and they disagree. But what do they know eh? Funny thing about Google, it doesn't spellcheck things when it indexes them. So if 100 retards spell a word wrong, it will come back in a search result. Doesn't make it correct. Just means there are 100 retards who can't spell.

I've listened to Dr Kishore at length on a number of occasions and I've never had any problems understanding him. Maybe you need to clear your ears out.

Archived