[BBC News] Public meeting over Peel festival

Newsbot

This makes me fume with anger :angry: I'm honestly lost for words..... Can people not just say "this is going to be great,Peel will be busy for a week and I might have to walk more than 6 feet to my front door but hey! It's going to be a fantastic week....."

Of course they can't,this is the isle of man!

I think it will be great for Peel, but I also think it would have been better putting on at a different time of year. The majority of the bands put on will not in my opinion attract the bikers e,g Ronan Keating, Sugerbabes, McFly etc and I think the organisers recognise this as when they announced the Sugerbabes they did state "the Family" acts were selling better. I think also the tickets are expensive especially if you are camping to save money rather than just an accomodation issue, and that many bikers are here for the atmosphere esp down the prom.

If it was on a different time of year hopefully it would attract visitors to the Island but also I am aware of many people who say they would have liked to have gone but either they are off the Island, put off by the thoughts of the traffic trying to get to there after work, especially on the practice days, have other things on due to the TT or as in my case have trouble getting child minders that week as our usual are either off the Island, trapped in by the course or expect to be be worked off their feet so can not commit.

Hopefully this year it will be succesful but next year they might try again say over the summer

This makes me fume with anger :angry: I'm honestly lost for words..... Can people not just say "this is going to be great,Peel will be busy for a week and I might have to walk more than 6 feet to my front door but hey! It's going to be a fantastic week....."

Of course they can't,this is the isle of man!

...If it was on a different time of year hopefully it would attract visitors to the Island...

What idiot would pay upwards of £200 (travel, accomodation, plus ticket) to see one of these bands - when he could do it for £50 down the road at home?

But this isn't about the time of year,ticket prices,corncrakes or cornflakes - It's about parking and noise. It's about the people of Peel seeing someone elses success. It's about shallow,small mindedness.

Plenty. There are after all people who will not miss a Barry Manilow or Cliff Richard Gig! I use the word gig in the very loosest sense of the word

...If it was on a different time of year hopefully it would attract visitors to the Island...

What idiot would pay upwards of £200 (travel, accomodation, plus ticket) to see one of these bands - when he could do it for £50 down the road at home?

No it is about NIMBYism not about resenting sucess. We all or at least the majority complain if there is something local that affects them. Be it houses being built, land fill sites or in this case the festival. The people moaning are probaly those that will not be going so of course they moan about the negatives. The majority of us are that small minded, I am not a big supporter of the TT so I moan about the traffic. If I was I would not.

If I lived in Peel and was not going to the festival although I like to thing I would be big enough not to in reality I would probably moan about the traffic etc etc. Unfortunately it is human nature

But this isn't about the time of year,ticket prices,corncrakes or cornflakes - It's about parking and noise. It's about the people of Peel seeing someone elses success. It's about shallow,small mindedness.

I think Peel will do very well out of these concerts. I wonder if they have worked out how much local businesses etc. could make, especially if they get people to make a day (or an afternoon of it). 5000 people buy a lot of ice-creams and can spend a lot of money in eateries, pubs, shops etc. They should be putting on the Viking boats, mock beach battles and other attractions too. Perhaps even invite Gordon Brown over to a beach party ;)

I'm also organising a public meeting - about the distinct lack of public meetings on the island.

Unfortunately some guy putting up a big tent scared them away but they sent this message to the meeting:

corncrake.ram

Will the corncrakes be attending this meeting. I feel they should at least have someone there to represent their interests

£50? More than half of these acts wouldn't even command a £20 ticket cost

£50? More than half of these acts wouldn't even command a £20 ticket cost

Well that's £50 a ticket and once your inside a brow beating from the Beer Nazi's warning you about the danger of drinking at rock festivals. I sometimes wonder whether vwe are living in the real world or not.

Shouldn't they have had this meeting before it was organised?

But anyway, that aside, it's about time something like this happened over here :) Well done to the organisers.

Archived