Mountain Road Closed, Accident At The Verandah.

Nitro

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno if it's the time of year or something, but there's definitely been more dodgy driving than usual over the mountain for the last few weeks.

Agree with that. I'm sure my car has become invisible judging by the amount of overtaking cars/bikes that have pulled out into my path in recent weeks.

Hope anyone involved is ok

I dunno if it's the time of year or something, but there's definitely been more dodgy driving than usual over the mountain for the last few weeks.

Agree with that. I'm sure my car has become invisible judging by the amount of overtaking cars/bikes that have pulled out into my path in recent weeks.

Hope anyone involved is ok

Over the past few months it's been dark at 5pm, and we've had most of the sh1t weather - which all goes to slow the traffic down. Light nights and dry roads tend to speed everything up - and bring out the risk-takers.

3FM:

MOTORCYCLIST KILLED ON MOUNTAIN ROAD

Posted on 15 May, 2007

A motorcyclist has been killed after an accident on the Mountain Road.

Police were called to the Verandah on the Ramsey to Douglas stretch at about 4.20pm yesterday afternoon, where they found the rider had collided with a Peugeot, before hitting a trailer parked at roadworks there.

The victim, who was visiting the Isle of Man from his home in Kent, died from his injuries.

The Mountain Road reopened at 8.40pm last night.

It'd be nice to think that this death will be a tragic but unique event on our roads this year, but who on these forums seriously believes that by the end of the summer, we won't be looking at another ten dead, maybe fifteen, or even twenty?

Too many people, too many dead, every single year.

Statistically (speaking) 55 to 88 people will probably die on the roads (all types of road deaths) this year on the island. However, look at Yorkshire and London, especially for Motorcycle deaths per 100,000 miles (even on Mad Sunday) - and then compare the figures. Then get yourself on a statistics course INSTEAD OF BUYING THE ****ING DAILY MAIL or DAILY MIRROR or reading 'Shit Yourself Monthly' you mathematically inept ..er.. chappy!

/rant over

Statistically (speaking) 55 to 88 people will probably die on the roads (all types of road deaths) this year on the island.

I call BS on your figures (or you missed a decimal point!) - using official (2004) UK fugures:

UK road transport deaths 6.1 / 100,000 capita

motorcyle 114.4 (down from 115.8 [1981 figs]) deaths per 10^9 passenger miles

car 2.7 (down from 6.1 [1981 figs])road deaths per 10^9 passenger miles

thus on a per capita basis would expect 5 to 8 deaths - we will I suggest see twice that number.

Motorcyles are 40x as fatal per mile driven as a car - combine this with the much much higher rate for 17-24 year olds and you can see some of the reasons for the high Island death count.

I doubt that introduction of speed limits per se will have much effect (tho note the recent demand that the road from MS 13 thro to Kirk Michael be restricted that appears to be backed by Kirk Michael residents) - I argue that as found in the US, UK & Europe it is traffic calming measures by physically changing the road layout that are required but whilst our killer road is also a public racetrack this cannot be done.

Thus there is a perfectly reasonable question to ask - how many deaths is the TT worth ?

We don't have this:

1328_45a.jpg

we have single file traffic generally, and as such most of the fatalities over the next month can be preventable - but these morons will be over here instead of Yorkshire and London and think all we have are quiet country roads

We don't have this:

we have single file traffic generally, and as such most of the fatalities over the next month can be preventable - but these morons will be over here instead of Yorkshire and London and think all we have are quiet country roads

The clue in my post was in the 'accidents per 100,000 miles'. It's all about averages - and you don't see many fatacs on Strand street either.

Archived