Mountain Road Closed, Accident At The Verandah.

Nitro

Very sad, but as someone pointed out, it's gone mad up there recently. Have people got a deathwish or what?

Another soul joining our 37 plus mile long graveyard. I often drive around the course, and all I think about is that person died on that corner, or this famous bike crashed here and died, and that lad loosing his life on this section. I have lost too many friends on that darn course, and especially the mountain section down the years. And I guess, I going to loose a few more the way people ride/drive recently.

Me, I am leaving my car on the drive during TT fortnight and walking, taking the bus, tram, train or even the darn horse tram to work.

Please Drive Carefully, you never know whats around the next corner...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have lost too many friends on that darn course, and especially the mountain section down the years. And I guess, I going to loose a few more the way people ride/drive recently...

...Please Drive Carefully, you never know whats around the next corner...

Maybe, but who wants to stay at home for 80 years and die covered in diahorea in a nursing home?

You're a long time dead, and life is for living. We're all doomed - I don't know anyone over 100 years of age.

If you never take a risk you'll never enjoy life...but you are right...learn about risk and you will lessen the chance of taking an unneccessary risk...especially if it's in the hands of some old age f**kwit, van driver or commuter coming the other way with his brain switched off. Even the simple act of realising that the world is full of these people will add 10 years to your life.

Hey guys - someone has died.

How about we don't turn this into the bi-weekly thread on "speed kills, IoM roads are deadly, stats show this if you read them right to left or this if you read then bottom to top" etc etc.

Show some respect and start another topic or just wait for someone else to.

I have lost too many friends on that darn course, and especially the mountain section down the years. And I guess, I going to loose a few more the way people ride/drive recently...

Maybe, but who wants to stay at home for 80 years and die covered in diahorea in a nursing home?

You're a long time dead, and life is for living. We're all doomed - I don't know anyone over 100 years of age.

If you never take a risk you'll never enjoy life...but you are right...learn about risk and you will lessen the chance of taking an unneccessary risk...especially if it's in the hands of some old age f**kwit, van driver or commuter coming the other way with his brain switched off. Even the simple act of realising that the world is full of these people will add 10 years to your life.

It's not taking a risk in TT Fortnight, it's being stuck in a car, on Douglas promenade, moving one car length per hour trying to get home before it's bedtime. I might not live to 100, but I don't want to spend half of my life bumper to bumper on the prom. Is it me, or does anybody else always ends up in front of the f**kwit in the car on the prom, who is totally horn happy in TT week. As if beebing your horn constantly is going to make the traffic move quicker.

Leg power for me and lower stress levels...

Hey guys - someone has died.

How about we don't turn this into the bi-weekly thread on "speed kills, IoM roads are deadly, stats show this if you read them right to left or this if you read then bottom to top" etc etc.

Show some respect and start another topic or just wait for someone else to.

It is not disrespectful to say the world keeps turning or that somone died doing something they enjoyed.

In fact IMO the opposite view is disrespectful. All we can hope to do is learn from peoples mistakes, but also maintain the same freedom and enjoyment they got from doing it.

I've lost a good few mates over the years doing the same thing - and I know what they'd be saying if it was me instead of them.

..die covered in diahorea ... You're a long time dead ... life is for living ... We're all doomed - I don't know anyone over 100 years of age ... If you never take a risk you'll never enjoy life...old age f**kwit, van driver or commuter ...

Good grief! Cheer up Albert. At least you didn't mention women drivers!

BTW, it's the young males you need to watch out for.

This is one of the best bits of advice. It's too easy to think that a certain corner can safely be taken at xxx mph.

Not if a car's pulling out of a gate it can't.

The TT course on Mad Sunday has always attracted the 'locals' who think they know the course better than anyone else and they'll go up and show 'em how it should be tackled. Ignoring the fact that the road isn't usually flooded with the young, the TT circuit drinkers or continental riders who, in their excitement, 'might' just forget which side of the road they should be on.

In fairness this thread was good natured and respectful until Mr Tatlock came along with the diatribe in his first post. Chopley made a good point, backed up by Roxanne about the aftermath of such accidents, and he is lambasted by some form of self righteous rant about statistics.

Someone has died. They may well have died enjoying what they were doing. However Chopley and Roxanne were thinking deeper than that about the aftermath of such incidents. Why then hijack the thread by preparing a defence for the TT course and those who enjoy thrashing round it?

It was uncalled for. But not unexpected I suppose.

who wants to stay at home for 80 years and die covered in diahorea in a nursing home?

Noble sentiments indeed. However, totally nonsensical and irrelevant if you ask me. You're implying that roads are built and maintained for the purpose of satisfying the needs of thrill seekers. They clearly are not, they are there to carry people and goods from one place to another, and if things could be done to make the process safer then they should be done.

You're implying that roads are built and maintained for the purpose of satisfying the needs of thrill seekers. They clearly are not, they are there to carry people and goods from one place to another, and if things could be done to make the process safer then they should be done.

No I'm not - I'm just saying that there is risk in everything. Would you count banning bikes as part of that process - just becuase they are more dangerous to drive than cars?

Statistically (speaking) 55 to 88 people will probably die on the roads (all types of road deaths) this year on the island. However, look at Yorkshire and London, especially for Motorcycle deaths per 100,000 miles (even on Mad Sunday) - and then compare the figures. Then get yourself on a statistics course... you mathematically inept ..er.. chappy!

Why stop at London or Yorkshire? I mean the former only has a population density over 20 times that of the Island, and the latter only has over twice the density and a few big cities to account for their road fatalities, and both feature urban centres where the traffic is most concentrated. If we can compare those with the Isle of Man, despite the obvious disparities, surely we can go further: Just look at the combined road fatality figures per 100,000 miles for New York, London, Paris, and Moscow - it's loads more than that of the Isle of Man! Sadly, it proves sod all, because the comparison is wrong.

Time to hit the stats books again.

Statistically (speaking) 55 to 88 people will probably die on the roads (all types of road deaths) this year on the island. However, look at Yorkshire and London, especially for Motorcycle deaths per 100,000 miles (even on Mad Sunday) - and then compare the figures. Then get yourself on a statistics course... you mathematically inept ..er.. chappy!

Why stop at London or Yorkshire? I mean the former only has a population density over 20 times that of the Island, and the latter only has over twice the density and a few big cities to account for their road fatalities, and both feature urban centres where the traffic is most concentrated. If we can compare those with the Isle of Man, despite the obvious disparities, surely we can go further: Just look at the combined road fatality figures per 100,000 miles for New York, London, Paris, and Moscow - it's loads more than that of the Isle of Man! Sadly, it proves sod all, because the comparison is wrong.

Time to hit the stats books again.

Actually the roads in Yorkshire are pretty similar to the island.

I've heard a different version of events to the one in the media, so I'm not sure which is true.

In either case, before pointing the finger at anyone in particular as to who was at fault in this particular incident, how about people wait until the coroner has had the inquest and delivered a verdict?

I have suggested several times that comparisons should be with other Islands - Wight is comparable and has many fewer deaths, Shetland has more open + exceptionally well maintained roads (but it seems generally obeyed speed limits) tho about 30% of Island population - again I believe road deaths are lower.

Archived