Maddy Mccann And 24-hour Rolling News

Slim

Am I alone in thinking that if you leave your 3 year old and two one year olds without adult supervision it is a crime.

These people chose to abandon their children whilst they went out to eat drink and make merry

What about the sacrifices that are supposed to come with parenthood.

I thought I was the only one thinking this.

The other thing I find puzzling is how did the abductor get into the apartment without leaving any signs of forced entry, without leaving any DNA or fingerprints or footprints behind, without disturbing the other children in the room and without been seen leaving the complex with a child (obviously distressed) at a time when the complex would have been busy. Finally who in their right minds would leave children of that age alone in a strange house in a strange country for that length of time?

Something doesn't add up there at all. Perhaps all is not what it seems.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While there is not practical problem with it WSAG, such futile acts are symptomatic of the proliferation of overpowering media coverage.

People are acting with more urgency on a problem which doesn't really affect them simply because they've been seduced by the constant coverage.

The concern is that, perhaps, this could be to the detriment of a local issue.

The concern is that, perhaps, this could be to the detriment of a local issue.

And I will once again state "such as?"

Headlines from IOMONLINE this morning

Poor passenger figures caused by fog

Villa hoardings on the move

Work on Peel Harbour

Hotels dont book on-line

Well fuck me they all deserve a place ahead of a little girl who has been abducted a whole 2 weeks ago.....

Yea but the whole of the media and every single headline is full of this story - I agree that local news is prob more useful on a poster than a maddy mccann poster - its not taking away the seriousnesss of the problem, its just a bit futile.

Just like the other children that go missing every year dont seem to have had EVER the same sort of coverage...

I also think something is very odd about the whole thing.

I thought this exactly but didnt want to say it incase people thought it was too insensitve - but YES it is true the more seemingly "attractive/paler" you are the more the media can make a headline from it, and i think this is the undercurrent of my anxiety about the whole sickly drama of it all...

it exactly like when all those teenage shootings happened in London last month, the teenager that caused most of a stir was the mixed race boy (who looked white) - even though other boys (black) had been shot, their story did not gain as much attention but were all equally as bad, and infact that mixed race boy was actually involved in lots of trouble, whereas some of the black boys that were shot were not.

A quick look at http://missingkids.co.uk/ will show the following 18 kids who've gone missing in the last twelve months. All of them went missing in the UK, and I'd suggest that there's much more likelihood of one of them turning up here than there is of one who went missing in Portugal. Strangely enough, no one seems to have thought of putting their photos on posters outside Tesco's - but far be it from me to suggest that the lack of any media frenzy had anything to do with the fact that they aren't blonde and blue-eyed.

TAN JING CHEN Missing Since: 09/03/07 Age Now: 17 Missing from:COLCHESTER, United Kingdom

NAOMI DENTON-YOUNGER Missing Since: 15/03/07 Age Now: 15 Missing from:DOVER, United Kingdom

THAO DO Missing Since: 11/03/07 Age Now: 14 Missing from:OLD TRAFFORD, United Kingdom

MOHAMMED ANWAR HOSSAIN Missing Since: 21/10/06 Age Now: 15 Missing from:HARINGEY, United Kingdom

YING LEE Missing Since: 26/09/06 Age Now: 3 Missing from:BARNSLEY, United Kingdom

LINGRAN LIN Missing Since: 31/07/06 Age Now: 12 Missing from:HOVE, United Kingdom

LINGSHAN LIN Missing Since: 31/07/06 Age Now: 15 Missing from:HOVE, United Kingdom

MAYA LEILA MAHMOUD Missing Since: 24/03/07 Age Now: 11 Month(s) Missing from:DONCASTER, United Kingdom

JAVIAN MATTHEWS Missing Since: 21/02/07 Age Now: 15 Missing from:HARINGEY, United Kingdom

DUNG THI NGUYEN Missing Since: 20/04/07 Age Now: 17 Missing from:LEWISHAM, United Kingdom

LINH THUY NGUYEN Missing Since: 25/10/06 Age Now: 13 Missing from:MITCHAM, United Kingdom

MINH ANH NGUYEN Missing Since: 20/04/07 Age Now: 11 months Missing from:LEWISHAM, United Kingdom

ELIZABETH OGUNGBAYIBI Missing Since: 26/09/06 Age Now: 6 Missing from:MANCHESTER, United Kingdom

SAMANTHA OSBORN Missing Since: 03/04/07 Age Now: 15 Missing from:BUCKINGHAM, United Kingdom

YEN PHAM Missing Since: 25/06/06 Age Now: 16 Missing from:LETCHWORTH, United Kingdom

HA THI PHUNG Missing Since: 10/02/07 Age Now: 16 Missing from:NEW MALDEN, United Kingdom

MOHAMMED JAHID UL HAQUE Missing Since: 04/08/06 Age Now: 16 Missing from:EDINBURGH, United Kingdom

QIN WANG Missing Since: 04/01/07 Age Now: 16 Missing from:DORSET, United Kingdom

The other thing I find puzzling is how did the abductor get into the apartment without leaving any signs of forced entry, without leaving any DNA or fingerprints or footprints behind, without disturbing the other children in the room and without been seen leaving the complex with a child (obviously distressed) at a time when the complex would have been busy. Finally who in their right minds would leave children of that age alone in a strange house in a strange country for that length of time?

I think anyone who's handled a child in their life would be able to walk into an apartment (the patio door was open) and pick up a sleeping child without waking them and then walk away with them. My boy (three this month) fell asleep in the car on the way home last night, and I was able to take him out of the car seat, carry him up the stairs, put him in a fresh nappy, change him into his pyjamas and put him into bed without him stirring. Lots of children sleep very deeply and very well.

As for the complex being busy? So what? When was the last time you stopped someone carrying a sleeping child in their arms and asked them to prove they were the parent?

I'm not saying the parents were right to leave the door open, far from it and speaking personally, I wouldn't leave my two on their own and go eat 40 yards away either, but there's nothing puzzling about what you're said.

As for the "what's the point in putting up posters in Tesco" debate. Although Maddie was abducted in Portugal, it doesn't mean she's still there. From Portugal they could nip over borders to Spain, Morocco or France. We are coming up to the holiday season so if anybody is on holiday and they see Madeline somewhere other than Portugal (particularly as she has a distinctive mark on her iris) then the posters have been worthwile.

The posters are not completely useless but seriously if you havent seena pic of maddy in the media/internet/tv i nthe past 2 weeks you have been either in a coma or dead......

What i think the point is that do we need total over exposure of one topic? NO

As for the complex being busy? So what? When was the last time you stopped someone carrying a sleeping child in their arms and asked them to prove they were the parent?

That they weren't stopped isn't surprised. That nobody spotted it happening is.

As for the "what's the point in putting up posters in Tesco" debate. Although Maddie was abducted in Portugal, it doesn't mean she's still there. From Portugal they could nip over borders to Spain, Morocco or France. We are coming up to the holiday season so if anybody is on holiday and they see Madeline somewhere other than Portugal (particularly as she has a distinctive mark on her iris) then the posters have been worthwile.

...and the posters of the other 18 named above should go.....?

Am I alone in thinking that if you leave your 3 year old and two one year olds without adult supervision it is a crime.

These people chose to abandon their children whilst they went out to eat drink and make merry

What about the sacrifices that are supposed to come with parenthood.

I thought I was the only one thinking this.

Something doesn't add up there at all. Perhaps all is not what it seems.

The parents readily admit that the windows were open and the door whilst closed on the latch, was not locked

Archived