More Money Than Sense...

lectro

To the uninitiated of the workings of modern art it may seem an article set for derision.

However, one needs to expand the mind beyond the personal limitations of the proletariat mindset.

Consider please the subjective soporific values of the palette, the subtle niceties of the proportions, to say nothing of the stark irony of the subject form. Modern art instinct may just be a simple appreciation of vestigial form which is indeed a trait of that era. One should not be required to to further verbalise the non-verbal leads provided in this abstract subject in order to fully appreciate and understand its intent.

post-5525-1179305630_thumb.jpg

The paint and canvas probably cost £100 ish? Artist time? I'd say £75 per hour and by the looks of it there's about 2 hours work gone into it so lets say £150. Misc costs....let's go £500 just to cover it.

Total outlay and investment circa £750

Cost at auction - £26,500,000 :blink:

It's obscene.

This is the art worlds equivilent of Elvis' toe clippings - the painting itself is irrelevent its the fact it was painted by Francis Bacon.

I have to say I really quite like his Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X!

bacon_study1953.jpg

Its evocation of the Catholic Church is so at variance to the original!

velazquez.innocent-x.jpg

So sorry lectro - unless your Damien Hurst your junior painting set isn't going to get you anywhere!

Art is art so long as it is interesting!

To the uninitiated of the workings of modern art it may seem an article set for derision.

However, one needs to expand the mind beyond the personal limitations of the proletariat mindset.

Consider please the subjective soporific values of the palette, the subtle niceties of the proportions, to say nothing of the stark irony of the subject form. Modern art instinct may just be a simple appreciation of vestigial form which is indeed a trait of that era. One should not be required to to further verbalise the non-verbal leads provided in this abstract subject in order to fully appreciate and understand its intent.

Comments: Pretentious crap.

Price: Obscene.

Painting: If that was the best he could manage, it's no wonder the artist committed suicide.

Well, that makes a refreshing change from the usual "subverting the established bourgoisie dialectic" pious nonsense of the PoMo crowd. Finally, someone who admits that art exists only so people can pretend they're better than their peers!

Fine art = wallpaper that got ideas above its station - everyone knows that plate spinning is the highest form of art

post-5525-1179305630_thumb.jpg

It's Brian Sewell ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the forums Brian. Looking forward to hearing your opinions on more weightier issues... state of the roads in the Isle of Man, the smoking debate and the annual slangfest that is the TT debate. Your tome and eloquent turn of phrase will add much bullshit to the proceedings...

I absolutely adore modern art - its the thinking and the process in which it emerges that is important to me. Modern art in my mind is rebellious and challenges thinking!

How boring would art be if it was all just paintings of scenes of war, portraits of the rich, or landscapes? How great was the modern art movement (a loose term really for lots of different movements) it was a chance for artists to be less concerned with the stuffy rules of painting and concentrated on the way they wanted to paint, the light, texture, distortion etc

Modern Art influences our everyday lives, advertising, architechture, cartoons, symbols etc

I hate the way people just dismiss modern art as rubbish without just giving it a chance first! I am sure there is a lot of bullshit out there, but dont dismiss!! I mean FRANCIS BACON!! Im not suprised his painting went for so much - he is prob one of the most influential figures of the twentieth century!

I absolutely adore modern art - its the thinking and the process in which it emerges that is important to me. Modern art in my mind is rebellious and challenges thinking!

Aye, it's in the thinking 'shit, this is fucking awful, how do I blag my way out of this', then the process of blagging it with an explanatory note about what you were trying to convey but didn't have the talent to do so.

Having said that Francis Bacon's work is genuinely excellent - unlike battenburg bloke.

Archived