50,000 People, 20,000 Bikes And 10,000 Cars/vans

manxman8180

A rather huge birdie informs me that the sweedish ferry dos not have UK board of trade certification therefore can not trade in British waters!

App this fact was only discovered by certain ferry company recently. Likely hood of finding another boat????????

Watch out for the bun fight in LPL and Heysham docks! Not forgetting our Irish and Scottish and German friends!

I know very little about these things, but it does seem surprising that a Swedish ferry could not obtain BOT certification (may be too late now) AND that this wasn't a condition of the charter. Although it may just be as well as the island can't possibly accommodate 50,000 visitors, can it? If it is true, then it looks like the Steammie are going to take a big knock to their profits and the island is going to take a big knock to its reputation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a few things about the Steam Packet and their boat problem over TT too. However, I think you are a little quick to slate them, I seem to recall TT week went rather smoothly for them last year, and in previous years the only major problems have been caused by the weather. Lets wait and see eh? I imagine they will continue to do the splendid job they always do.

I know very little about these things, but it does seem surprising that a Swedish ferry could not obtain BOT certification (may be too late now) AND that this wasn't a condition of the charter.

I believe that the issue surrounded the vessel's inability to subscrive to the Oslo Convention (Marine Pollution) and thus the BOT would not permit her to trade in UK/IOM waters....thats my understanding but it could of course be complete bollox (but thats never stopped me posting before :) )

I heard a few things about the Steam Packet and their boat problem over TT too. However, I think you are a little quick to slate them,

How can you possibly say that? Slating the Steam Packet is a national pastime. It's a tradition. It's part of our heritage, for heaven's sake!

Hence the phrase 'There's a boat in the morning...' and not 'there's a boat in the morning but it depends on the weather and also if the right certificate is in place...'

That was certainly the plan. But a slighlty bigger birdie seems to indicate that it might have fallen through.

Even so, leaving it until two weeks before is playing with fire rather, don't you think.

On the subject of fire and the TT etc. Having done homestay last year and had my inspection, I get a phone call last night to say I need a fire risk assessment to make sure people can stay in my accommodation. It's just a bit late in the day to tell you that don't you think, the people arrive on the 2nd. So now the fireman is coming out next Tuesday and he gives a report to the Tourist Board and then they come out and make sure everything is OK, by which time the people will have arrived, so I hope I pass the assessments because the bloody tourist board can tell the people they can't stay!!

Honestly, they couldn't organise a do in a brewery, they've had a whole year to sort this out, but evidently it's because it's the centenary, so the people that stayed last year, their lives weren't as precious as the people that are staying this year because it's the centenary. Perhaps they'll be booked on one of the boats that won't be going and then they won't make it! ;)

Not really as yet.

They may well pull one out of the bag at the last minute. You never know.

It is a bit of a mare for those travelling, however, that they haven't had their tickets before now, presumably because the sailing schedule is not available.

I really hope they are able to cope with the demand.

Archived