50,000 People, 20,000 Bikes And 10,000 Cars/vans

manxman8180

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon the figures are wrong and the plane effect ignored

Of 50,000 a large number will be flying, with no vehicles. Lets say its between 15,000 and 20,000 who fly.

Not everyone arrives on the same day, some are already here. Some may only come for a day.

There will be a trickle over the next week, mainly crews for practice week and they won't all leave immediately after senior race day either, some will leave before.

I looked at the schedules. On the best days with all planes flying as rostered and flying full they can bring in 3,000 plus per day through the airport

That leaves 30, to 35,000 on the boats. I suspect it might only be 2 per car and 1.5 per bike on average, plus some foot passengers, cars and bikes starts to look high .

Assuming we do have the whole fleet, Emeraude France and Seaexpress 1 plus Ben my Chree and the Ben does 3.5 hour journeys with 1.5 hour turn round on a shuttle it can bring in 4,000 every two days. The two sea cats can do 2.5 plus 1.5 turn rounds so between them thats 4,000 per day.

Assuming all goes to plan with no gearboxes or collisions that is a maximum 9,000 per day at flat out peak period, say 3,000 arrive by Friday 25th , teams and early arrivals and 3,000 per day arrive from Saturday 26th to Thursday 31st, thats 21,000 If there is a pull over the weekend everyone can be here by Monday of TT.

I wouldn't want to do it without spare capacity mind, if I was IOMSPCo.

I can't do the vehicle and bike calcs as I don't know what freight provision is being made

Ever an optimist and with a belief in muddling through, I just hope it does come off well.

Though heavens knows what they are going to do when they get here. No funfair, two beer tents and a giant pop festival in Peel for which most will have no tickets

A good number of the vehicles will be vans with 2 or 3 bikes/van.

I assume that as in previous years there will be a trailer-only freight boat that will allow the Ben to carry more non-freight vehicles

Also several people have told me that some bikers have been bring their bikes over early and leaving them in friend's garages etc (presumably to avoid high prices and possible cancellations)

There are numerous runs organised (eg vintage runs which are I believe already oversubscribed ) so assuming reasonable weather there will be plenty to do

A good number of the vehicles will be vans with 2 or 3 bikes/van.

If that is the case, then they won't be counted in the 20,000 as I am assuming that this figure is reached by Steam Packet bookings, so there will be even more bikes.

I noticed an awful lot of English reg bikes over last weekend, some of which seemed to head back to the Sea Terminal late on Sunday afternoon. Were they here for the rally, or some other event, or were they here because they couldn't get booked nearer TT?

[rumor] people who have booked sailings have been sent a letter saying they may not be guaranteed a sailing due to the lack of boats [rumor/]

I hope thats not true, I am riding 220 miles to Heysham, doesn't sound far I know but its gonna hurt on account of a frozen shoulder in one arm and carpal tunnel syndrome in the other arms hand, If I get shit about not sailing when I get there watch out for the serious sense of humour failure followed by tears (tears of pain that is hey I'm a fella we don't cry right!! right )

The Swedish ferry in question is the Thjelvar, sails to and from Gotland, or did. She actually operated out of the UK for Sally line until 1997.

Shippy Clicky

If she was to make it here, she would be the biggest ferry to operate out of Douglas, ever.

In reckoning up the numbers, you have not included that mighty section of the TT visitors who will be bringing their motorcycles by airplane, holding onto their helmets as hand baggage. Or perhaps they will be shipping the motorcycles but travelling themselves to Ronaldsway, holding onto their expensive safety equipment. Or perhaps the following is indicative of a daft MHK.

2.14. The Hon. Member for Rushen (Mr Watterson) to ask the Minister for Transport:

( a ) Are you aware that the average motorcycle helmet is slightly larger that the hand baggage allowance permitted at the Isle of Man Airport;

( b ) will you consider alleviating the baggage requirements by a reasonable amount for the TT, to allow riders to be reassured that their expensive safety equipment can be carried with them; and

( c ) will you contact other airports that fly into the Isle of Man, and airlines, to create a solution that is to the advantage of bikers and the success of the 2007 TT?

Remember, the success of 2007 TT could depend on this gem from Mr Watterson.

I would have loved to have seen the looks on the likes of David Cretney's and Adrian Earnshaw's faces when that question was posed by the young fella.

I doubt the House has had such a snigger for years!

Hansard is Here for reference.

In reckoning up the numbers, you have not included that mighty section of the TT visitors who will be bringing their motorcycles by airplane, holding onto their helmets as hand baggage. Or perhaps they will be shipping the motorcycles but travelling themselves to Ronaldsway, holding onto their expensive safety equipment. Or perhaps the following is indicative of a daft MHK.

2.14. The Hon. Member for Rushen (Mr Watterson) to ask the Minister for Transport:

( a ) Are you aware that the average motorcycle helmet is slightly larger that the hand baggage allowance permitted at the Isle of Man Airport;

( b ) will you consider alleviating the baggage requirements by a reasonable amount for the TT, to allow riders to be reassured that their expensive safety equipment can be carried with them; and

( c ) will you contact other airports that fly into the Isle of Man, and airlines, to create a solution that is to the advantage of bikers and the success of the 2007 TT?

Remember, the success of 2007 TT could depend on this gem from Mr Watterson.

I would have loved to have seen the looks on the likes of David Cretney's and Adrian Earnshaw's faces when that question was posed by the young fella.

I doubt the House has had such a snigger for years!

Hansard is Here for reference.

I know 2 people who are carrying over helmets on the plane, and meeting up with our mates over the main TT weekend (who will be travellling over earlier) - and riding pillion instead of bringing their own bikes over too. I'm sure there will be quite a few people doing similar who can't get time off.

I think the real point here is that government shouldn't have to be formally asking these questions - and should have the commonsense to work behind the scenes to sort out simple issues like this - otherwise they will create 'headlines' that make themselves and the island look stupid.

Thank you for that point Albert. Yes indeed conceivably there is a situation whereby bikers, or rather people who will be travelling pillion, will be coming over by plane. Where is all the rest of their luggage? You know, towels, clothing etc. They are that conscious of the well being of their safety equipment they don't want to get it damaged in the hold or something?. What a load of bollox must be in their heads.

I don't mean to be offensive but the 2 people you know really do seem to think they are such precious souls, don't they. Maybe it was them that got in touch with the MHK from Rushen.

The beauty of the now largely defunct Mannin Line is that shite stuff like this could be aired on the radio, not whinged to the local politician.

Never have I heard such a bollox question in the House of Keys. Never. And believe me, I have heard a few.

And it was flounced up to sound so important too. "Look what I've come across that no one else has thought of. I really am rather clever aren't I".

Edited to add that the only people who could possibly look stupid in this, is the Rushen MHK, and whoever it was that whinged at him in the first place. Oh, and possibly Albert Tatlock for trying to justify such a bollox question in the House of Keys in the first place.

And for the sake of completeness here is the answer to the killer question:

Mr Watterson: Thank you, Mr Speaker. I beg leave to ask the Question standing in my name.

The Speaker: Minister for Transport, Mr Anderson.

The Minister for Transport (Mr Anderson): Thank you, Mr Speaker.

In answer to parts ( a ) and ( b ) of the Hon. Member’s Question, I am pleased to advise that the Department’s Airport Division has recently commenced proceedings, in February, to seek authorisation from the UK Department of Transport Security Division through their Senior Aviation Security Adviser, to allow motorcycle helmets as hand baggage.

To clarify, although responsibility for aviation security at the Isle of Man Airport lies with the Airport Director, any alleviation regarding the baggage requirements must be authorised from the domestic policy branch of the UK Department of Transport.

In answer to part ( c ) of the Question, any change would, of course, have to be implemented to include all of the originating UK airports and I can confirm to the Hon. Member that the Airport Division will be in contact with all the airlines that fly into the Isle of Man and the relevant airports regarding the issue of transportation of motorcycle helmets.

As I have explained earlier, the matter currently sits with the UK Department of Transport and I am therefore unable to comment further. However, when a response is received the Department will advise the airlines operating to and from the Isle of Man accordingly.

I don't mean to be offensive but the 2 people you know really do seem to think they are such precious souls, don't they. Maybe it was them that got in touch with the MHK from Rushen.

Oh, and possibly Albert Tatlock for trying to justify such a bollox question in the House of Keys in the first place.

Nope - on here was first they, and I, had heard of it.

And I didn't try to justify it - the opposite - if you care read my post again.

The Minister for Transport (Mr Anderson): Thank you, Mr Speaker.

In answer to parts ( a ) and ( b ) of the Hon. Member’s Question, I am pleased to advise that the Department’s Airport Division has recently commenced proceedings, in February, to seek authorisation from the UK Department of Transport Security Division through their Senior Aviation Security Adviser, to allow motorcycle helmets as hand baggage.

Who'd have guessed it. After 100 years it just occured to somebody that people coming to the road racing capital of the world might want to bring helmets with them as hand baggage.

I hope you'll be meeting some of us lot for real then Albert.

I'll be in Bushy's beer tent, wearing a black leather jacket and talking about biking, booze, beer and birds. Oh and probably whinging although I may take a week off from that. I think you would have gone down well at the manxforums get together a few weeks back. I believe it were a good do.

I know it's linked in the other thread about delays. But I think it really belongs here.

STEAM PACKET STATEMENT

I particularly like the following line.....

"Many of these passengers are now being accommodated on our fast craft ferry whereas previously they were booked on our conventional ferry. This will reduce their travel time considerably"

Well that should make the thought of arriving here two days earlier with no accomodation a bit easier. Or vice versa arriving later, and wasting two nights money.......

Me thinks the lady shouldn't have put her mobile number on there........

Archived