50,000 People, 20,000 Bikes And 10,000 Cars/vans

manxman8180

I know it's linked in the other thread about delays. But I think it really belongs here.

STEAM PACKET STATEMENT

I particularly like the following line.....

"Many of these passengers are now being accommodated on our fast craft ferry whereas previously they were booked on our conventional ferry. This will reduce their travel time considerably"

Well that should make the thought of arriving here two days earlier with no accomodation a bit easier. Or vice versa arriving later, and wasting two nights money.......

Me thinks the lady shouldn't have put her mobile number on there........

Class...why not state which sailings were affected so that 41000 people don't ring up? I bet the lady is really known as 'Miss Communications'.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The steam packet communications manager is hilarious. Did you hear her on manx radio this morning? "We would like to illustrate our appreciation of our customers support and patience at this time", what on earth does that mean? How many times can you say 'unprecedented' in one sentance? Superb stuff.

this is the Ferry company that publishes no printed timetable (as previously it couldn't meet 50% of the Fast craft sailings) so why be surprised - it has one generally reliable boat + two fast craft unsuitable for 6 months of the year. However they have done one good thing recently in tidying up Heysham (before it fell down)

I heard her on Manx Radio this morning and noted the reason given as being "Port Restrictions" There was no explanation what these restrictions are, wether they newly introduced and why they have only just come to The Steam Packets attention.

Nor did the interviewer ask any of these sought of questions which I though would have been very obvious types of question to ask.

From what I have heard and read giving "Port Restrictions" is a fairly disengenuous reason for the changes. The main reason being that the Steam Packet are allegedly not able to use the vessels that they originally planned. It is therefore would appear not really down to Port Restrictions but rather down to the Steam Packet cocking up on their planning. If this is so and the Packet have not got the guts to stand up and admit then they really have my contempt.

The steam packet communications manager is hilarious. Did you hear her on manx radio this morning? "We would like to illustrate our appreciation of our customers support and patience at this time", what on earth does that mean? How many times can you say 'unprecedented' in one sentance? Superb stuff.

Yeah 'Port Restrictions' is a rather liberal explanation.

Although, they will be sorely affected by only being able to handle two vessels in Douglas at any one time. However, they have known for nearly two years about the increased demand, so only finalising the timetable a week before is a bit of a cheap shot.

They act like the figures are a surprise to them, when the vast majority of spaces were booked during the 2005 TT itself.

Unprecedented my arse.

I agree with Manxman 8180.

Unprecidented ?. Did'nt they have 7 boats in the 1930's ?.

I have just been down to the sea terminal to check on a friends sailing. It seems that bbokings made on the Ben are sound. It's the charter vessel bookings that are all over the place.

What an almighty fuck up.

Once again this incompetent organisation lets down the whole Island, making us look like complete imbeciles again!!

How much more can we take before we say to hell with crap sentiment and worn out tradition and negotiate a sensible contract with a reliable carrier!!!

We are being dragged down by our governments misguided ideals and loyalties to a company which is not even Manx, so why not talk to a proffessional operator and quick! This is almost a state of emergency, the forum on iomtt.com is filling up with disgruntled visitors who are going to get the usual manx 'welcome' and short shrift when they try to reorganise their bookings!!

Complete bunch of bloody idiots, it's not as though this has come as a surprise, caught unprepared again. We should be drafting in another carrier and sue the Steam Packet for the costs and put them on notice of termination!!

I think Miss Howland has a long way to go before she is anywhere up to the level of her predecessor, the bullshit merchant who retired earlier this year and went on to help run the Isle of Man!

The steam racket co. deserve all the criticism that they get. If only they would learn to be HONEST.

The Superseacat is limping along again, unable to achieve more than about 26knots, so she is unable to keep up with any pre-planned schedule, then the planned ferry for TT fortnight didn't appear.

As has already been said - one mighty cockup!

Paging John Houghton.

I agree with Manxman 8180.

Unprecidented ?. Did'nt they have 7 boats in the 1930's ?.

I have just been down to the sea terminal to check on a friends sailing. It seems that bbokings made on the Ben are sound. It's the charter vessel bookings that are all over the place.

What an almighty fuck up.

At least the Ben appears to be the only reliable craft the IOMSPC have, fortunately we are booked on that for TT period, what a mess you, would think after 150+ years they would be able to get it right, after all they have had 100 years to ready themselves for the 100th TT. It sometimes make us wonder why we travel to the IOM year after year but the TT is such a draw and the Steam Racket know that, if you decide not to go there are plenty of other customers to snap up your place, maybe some competition would be a good thing???

How much more can we take before we say to hell with crap sentiment and worn out tradition and negotiate a sensible contract with a reliable carrier!!!

The problem would be in finding someone who was interested. Remember, there is such a finite market over here and the DTL doesn't seem to be working too hard to make drastic waves (pardon the pun) in tourism, so it probably won't change for many years, if at all.

The problem would be in finding someone who was interested. Remember, there is such a finite market over here and the DTL doesn't seem to be working too hard to make drastic waves (pardon the pun) in tourism, so it probably won't change for many years, if at all.

The Island could be a hub for Irish Sea ferries, stopping here as a half way between Liverpool/Heysham-Belfast/Dublin.

do you think people would tolerate a minumum of 60mins and probably nearer 90min port turnaround time on a Belfast/Liverpool sailing ? + the extra sailing time.

Certainly on overnight crossings I would have thought, I have been on 10 hour crossings to Belfast from Liverpoo in the past, and they are very pleasant! And since freight appears to be the biggest customer, larger ships could be utilised.

Smaller fast craft could still be used for day time sailings as the current format, just serving the Island/Liverpool/Dublin perhaps?

Much as we love the TT and all the atmosphere, the IOM and the great manx people, I'm afraid this year will be our last (if we make it). The cost of travel is extortionate but we comforted ourselves by regardeing this as a premium to get to the races. Now the excitement and pleasure have evapourated in a dark cloud of uncertainty and worry. We are let down.

I wonder how long it will be for one of the emerging former eastern block countries to realise that they could set up a decent mountain course some where, with cheap beer, no speed limit for the public on the course roads if they want, entertainement and cheap accomodation and to which it would be a day's enjoyable biking at the most to get to from here in southern england after a reasonably priced cross channel crossing (plenty of competition on the routes). Even those from up north would enjoy the trip, albeit a bit further but all part of the fun and camerardie. The continentals eg the germans would do it easy. It would be two fingers to the Steam Racket and manx goverment for what they have destroyed.

I am very sorry and sad.

Archived