50,000 People, 20,000 Bikes And 10,000 Cars/vans

manxman8180

I agree with Manxman 8180.

Unprecidented ?. Did'nt they have 7 boats in the 1930's ?.

They had 3 or 4 in the eighties I think.

I know the Lady of Man and The Monas Queen were still sailing and I'm sure there were others but I can't remember the names.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another angle on this whole Steam Packet TT thing......

All the trouble they have had in this (and previous) years has come about due to the volume of traffic and the extra sailings they have to cram in to meet the perceived demand. Basically, there is no slack in the timetable so any cock ups and everything goes to pot. Likewise, problems with chartering extra vessels, drafting in extra crew and negotiating extra berths at various ports must be a right pain in the arse.

What would be the feeling if they said for next year....Fuck it, we'll operate the same shcedule as normal.....

Two return trips IOM - Heysham on the Ben, with a fastcraft doing two round trips to Liverpool, with the odd trip to Ireland thrown in. All sailings would be full, without the huge increase in operational costs as they must have experienced this year. Their profit margin would probably be higher.

There would be plenty of time for turn arounds, far less pressure on loading / unloading times and plenty of time to allow for any unexpected delays, and to carry out the vital maintenance that the ships, particulalry the fast craft need.

Perhaps they are authors of their own misfortune by trying to put on too many sailings over the period, when they would be better off, personally, from not bending over backwards by trying to cram as much in as possible over a few busy days.

Maybe the DoTL would / should step in and offer financial assitance to assist. The accommodation sector on the Island can't cope with the increased demand, so they throw cash at schemes like Homestay etc, but yet the carriers who have to quadruple their output get no extra help. Just an idea.

Seems like much of the accommodation shortgage is being dealt with by people bringing over camper vans. One very spectacular one parked on the prom by the Spectrum Apartments. Spotted a few which seem to have been rented for the trip.

Oh and whilst I'm at it, I noticed that the two vessels were sailing in the same direction on AIS. I've just checked the sexeh new Harbour cam on the DOT website and both are berthed in Douglas - eh!

Surely it would make more sense to have them sailing in opposite directions rather than following each other.

just seems madness they're turning people away left right and centre but then have a couple of boats sitting around doing nothing

Oh and whilst I'm at it, I noticed that the two vessels were sailing in the same direction on AIS. I've just checked the sexeh new Harbour cam on the DOT website and both are berthed in Douglas - eh!

Surely it would make more sense to have them sailing in opposite directions rather than following each other.

Well I just looked out of my window and can only see one vessel there? :huh:

Archived