[BBC News] Parents get school pupil reminder

Newsbot

It says there that each school has a catchment area, I thought that you could send your child to any school. Anyone know?

Every school has a catchment area. I do believe you can apply to go to a school outside the catchment area if you have a good reason to but children should go to the school that they are in the catchment area for.

You can apply to a school outside your catchment area, and after they have allocated places to all the children within the catchment if there are any spaces left then you might get a place (my son goes to a school outside our catchment area).

we have one school in our village, the procedure here is such that we have to go down to the school the week after the schools go back after summer holidays, you fill in a form- you have to do this in person at the school, they dont send forms out. You dont find out till March if your child has a place, and the system goes as follows:

1st: children who are in care

2nd: children with special needs

3rd:children with siblings at the school

4th: children living within the catchment area

5th: children living outside the catchment area but who have siblings at the school

6th: children living outside the catchment area

This year their admissions cannot exceed 60, and the deadline for applications is the 17th november, thats just how they do it where i live though, obviously other places differ

Archived