[bbc]bollox Cruise Ship Couldn't Dock

[BBC]bollox

I think the Chief Minister should resign.

It is hardly dignified for a man in his position to (metaphorically) stand on Douglas harbour flashing a bit of leg to any passing boat in the hope that it may stop and disgorge sweating bloated scum on our shores, to buy an iced bun, and postcard, patronise us, call us quaint and fuck off.

radio report said that they would have been coached around the national heritage sites, so not much chance to spend in local traders then :(

Yeah that's my point.

The Chief Minister says the cancellation of this morning's cruise ship visit to the Isle of Man proves how important it is for the Island to have a pontoon for the vessels.

Let's assume the docking fees eventually pay for the cost of construction and maintainence of this pontoon.

What income is the Island going to get from thiese trips?

Coach company I suppose will get a few hundred quid. They'll kip on the boat so nothing for hoteliers. Probably be back on board in the evening so little or nothing for pubs, and restaurants. Lunch maybe unless the boat supplies a packed lunch. So that leaves a cup of tea or an ice cream and maybe a souvenier at one of the MNH sites. Maybe a newspaper?

And this is the future of the tourism industry?

Let's assume the docking fees eventually pay for the cost of construction and maintainence of this pontoon.

What income is the Island going to get from thiese trips?

Coach company I suppose will get a few hundred quid. They'll kip on the boat so nothing for hoteliers. Probably be back on board in the evening so little or nothing for pubs, and restaurants. Lunch maybe unless the boat supplies a packed lunch. So that leaves a cup of tea or an ice cream and maybe a souvenier at one of the MNH sites. Maybe a newspaper?

And this is the future of the tourism industry?

But what stops them coming back again or going home and telling others its a nice Island?

I used to work in a shop in Douglas. We'd get quite a few cruise visitors. We reckoned most of them would be bussed to Tynwald Mills, however. Fine all round for Island business but not great for us!

Ok, and your point is?

Says it all really

What I meant was do you think the proposed idea is a good thing or a bad thing. What's your opinion?

That says it all as well!!

I don't mean to procrastinate.

You see, I just randomly pick a news item and chuck it on the forum. Don't expect me to have an opinion. Some would call me, and my [bBC] Newsbot cousin of course, a type of spam.

Archived