The Island's Not On The Map...

Amadeus

The below map was mentioned on the BBC culture show the other day - it's the BBC British Film Map, showing places around the British Isles where movies were shot. Notice something?

filmhl8.gif

Yep - not a single mention of the IOM on it - at least not yet..

According to their website, they'll be doing a road-show thingy during the summer, visiting film locations around the country - and it's kinda interactive:

On 23rd June, the Culture Show will kick off BBC2's Summer of British Film in style, taking to the road in our 'Cultural Cortina' to visit classic film locations around the country. But where should we go on our set-jetting roadtrip?

So, the Beep's asking for stories and suggestions on where to go and report from - submit yours here to prevent the BBC boat from missing the Island completely and ending up in Enniskerry instead, and to help me to finally stalk meet Laurene Laverne :ph34r:

Amadeus,

This has been happening for many many years now. "Miss Isle of Man" is a long standing tradition. The fact that we have never got a decent service from the BBC is one of the resons why we've spent so many years trying not to get them to come to the island. We pay a TV Licence fee that we don't believe we get the quality of service for. The last thing we need is the sodding BBC doing a roadshow on the island. They'll bring the collectors with them at the same time so that they can try to catch some non licence fee payers to pay for the boat journey!

If it was Germany that they missed of the map, I could quite understand why you'd be pissed off but sometimes it's better not to be detected on radar. That why we only have a little mountain! ;)

Stav.

At first I thought more like another example of a foreigner just not appreciating the BBC and the map are British, ie UK locations. The IOM is neither British or UK. But then I saw Dublin included, and the words British Isles. Shit the Irish hate being described as British or as geographically in the British Isles.

Then I thought those are the words of the poster who may not understand

So I visited the site link. The list of iconic films is pretty brief. 20 films over 60 years. The Dublin film was Henry V shot at Powerscourt in Wicklow, but a British film, non the less, (war time jingoism and patriotism with Larry Oliver) so its British films and their locations, not British locations.

Is a film funded by the IOM Film Commission a British film?

Most iconic location, got to be Carnforth railway station on Stranger on a Train, at least from that list

That why we only have a little mountain! ;)

You mean a hill? That's a mountain:

zugspitzepw2.jpg

Ah..shit..there I'm posting something with the best of intentions, and get flame grilled by a chef in return - the world's not fair, and I won't meet Laurene Laverne :(

Ahh, a proper thread for me to appear and have a "whinge".

The BBC takes many £millions off the Isle of Man each year in. 'In return' I understand we now have two full time reporters who are scratching in the most part to find news items for the BBC website. (Could someone confirm the advertised jobs have now been filled). Newsbot spams us with the BBC newsfeeds on this fourm. This despite the subjects having sometimes already been discussed or indeed actually originating from here. Well done manxforums for highlighting this matter each and everyday, do keep it up.

The "Miss Isle of Man Syndrome" is, I understand, a Terry Cringle-ism and has become largely ridiculous. For example there might be a rough sketch map showing Europe and one of Tel's sycophants is sending a copy to the newspaper because the Isle of Man isn't shown, even if the subject of the map only needs to show approximate locations and a blob for Ireland and no Scottish Isles, Isle of Wight etc. That said of course, the film locations map really is a true contender for the spirit of "Miss Isle of Man Syndrome" as has been explained already in this thread.

If the Isle of Man believes really has a degree of political and social independence then it should dump the BBC altogether, they have been given enough chances to recognise the Island. But that needs politicians who are not spineless.

It is a scandal that we ever embraced them in the first place (I will be boring you with the historical details of this scenario another time, unless the mods decide to ban me first that is). The, er, Britain?/United Kingdom?/British Isles? bleating just doesn't cut it anymore. £4-5million anybody? BBC, either fucken recognise us or don't.

Personally I would prefer you didn't.

Most iconic location, got to be Carnforth railway station on Stranger on a Train, at least from that list

Brief Encounter was one of the best films ever made and the station featured throughout was Carnforth.

All those secret feeling, tension and despair. 810.gif

Ahh, a proper thread for me to appear and have a "whinge".

The BBC takes many £millions off the Isle of Man each year in. 'In return' I understand we now have two full time reporters who are scratching in the most part to find news items for the BBC website. (Could someone confirm the advertised jobs have now been filled). Newsbot spams us with the BBC newsfeeds on this fourm. This despite the subjects having sometimes already been discussed or indeed actually originating from here. Well done manxforums for highlighting this matter each and everyday, do keep it up.

I can confirm one of the jbs has been filled. friend of mine has just started doing it. I wouldn't call them full-time reporters though. Their remit is to update the BBC website with "user generated content". I think that means take press releases and stories from other places and copy and paste them!!! :ph34r:

It appears to me that the map is only listing some film locations that they are going to visit, it doesn't say that its a map of every film location in the British Isles and Ireland.

The ones that they've chosen are "cult" classics that appeal to the arty farty culture show. I don't think that any of the films made over here fit into that category so I wouldn't say we were missing out.

Above is a fair point. It would have been nice to be included.

Maybe the Isle of Man Film Industry - taken into context - isn't as wonderful and important as we, or rather they in the Isle of man Film Commission, would like to make out.

Perhaps I should apologise for my tone towards Auntie Beeb in my previous post.

Talking about "Miss Isle of Man", I was in Liverpool the other day looking at an exhibition. There was a globe, and looking at it, they had the channel Islands, The Isle of Sodding Wight, numerous Scottish Islands, but no Isle of Man!!! Typical!!

Above is a fair point. It would have been nice to be included.

Maybe the Isle of Man Film Industry - taken into context - isn't as wonderful and important as we, or rather they in the Isle of man Film Commission, would like to make out.

Perhaps I should apologise for my tone towards Auntie Beeb in my previous post.

It isn't though is it? The film companies get some tax breaks and so film small to moderate sized parts to their films here.

it's all relative though - yeah sure we're not hollywood mark 2 but it does generate a bit of income to the economy and raise our profile a tad

Archived