copycat

Real ale and beers/lagers from around the world

No food menu or sniff of the word "gastro"

No kids

Smoking for the remaining ten months that you can

No theme

Real open fire

No pool table

Apart from the allowing smoking bit, I would've gone with the rest of that when I drank more - I don't drink as much now, so priorities change :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what would make a bar a bar of today?

No kids

Smoking

No theme

Real open fire

No pool table

And no shitty DJ playing crappy dance music at full volume. There is a time and a place and that place is not in The Railway

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the overloud music is the only thing wrong with the Railway. They tick all the other boxes for me, nice varieties of beer (Erdinger, mmmm) lots of places to sit and tables to gather round, good lighting and clean and decent service. My own pub (Rovers) has sadly gone down the toilet over the past few months, I was there on Saturday night and at 8pm there was me and five friends, plus about three other people in the whole place. Picked up a bit before we moved on at 9pm ish but that's pretty telling when everywhere else was fairly busy.

I couldn't agree more. I'd started to go in the Railway regularly because of the general atmosphere, and more especially the beer; I think they really got it right with the 2nd refurb (although there really was nothing wrong with the original pub if you ask me). I'd ever started going there in preference to the Rovers, as it's gone down a bit lately. If I wanted to listen to 70s disco played really loudly, I'd go to one of those special nights at the Villa. I really don't want to hear it in the Railway! H&B take note.

Best pub on Island is without doubt the Trafalger in Ramsey, followed closely by the Ellan Vannin. Waterloo in Douglas deserved to be saved.

The only trouble with the Waterloo is that you end up being like a freakin sardine if you get more than 9 people in there :(

LT

The Railway, Dance Music?

Every time i've been in there i have heard the weirdest selection of music ever.... really crap acid jazz to james bond theme tunes. If i had heard any dance music i may have stayed longer!

I do like the decor and the selection of drinks but yes the music is a little loud and all over the place.

No kids

Smoking

No theme

Real open fire

No pool table

the railway in union mills then???

No kids

Smoking

No theme

Real open fire

No pool table

You missed:

No music (unless there's a piano in the corner for a sing-song at the weekend).

Bitter and mild drawn from real wooden barrels.

Seconded. I propose we call it "The Dogs Home", circa 1965,

Archived