[BBC News] TT fans hit by timetable changes

TerryMcCann

I was in Tesco last night. They had barely anything in so I asked a senior member of staff what the problem was (at least I presume he was - he was wearing a suit as opposed to a blue checkered shirt) and he told me that the Steam Packet had bunked them off two sailings (he didn't say exactly when) because they had too many cars/bikes etc. Obviously this may or may not be true, but you'd think given the large numbers of people booked for camping, that the SP would make provision for the supply of food/freight as well as bikes/cars?? I'd start stocking up now folks.

Still no food in Tescos, 1 banana to feed the masses - Anyone seen Jesus today? I'm thinking we might be in need of his Bread and fish trick to feed the 4500000000 bikers that are on their way here, nice that the bikes can get here, shame theres no food for them. Oh we'll be OK Robinsons will have got their fresh fruit and veg over in good time for TT, ignore the rotting bits (no change there then).

Still no food in Tescos, 1 banana to feed the masses - Anyone seen Jesus today? I'm thinking we might be in need of his Bread and fish trick...

We need the Manx version.... the one with spuds and herring!

Well just a little something more on the steamracket family member just booked a car and 1 passenger out on Saturday back on a week on Sunday (£274.00) IOM-Liverpool return Heysham-IOM in the middle of the night, ridiculous price, I looked on the website and found a TT escape out on Sunday back on a week on Saturday (both sailings IOM Liverpool), said give them a ring and try and change to the TT escape (£199.00). On hold for 10 minutes, girl says, no there's no TT Escapes left. Mentioned website and the fact that it said availability, so can I book the website price and cancel the previous booking, which was made less than half an hour before. Yes but there will be a cancellation fee, what will that be ................... 100% of the booking!! So not so much as a cancellation fee as a loose your money! I can't tell you on here how cross I was, the £274 fair was a standard fee, all singing all dancing no charges. As far as I can see you can't rely on anything that's on the website, which they are pushing like mad. When I said the website was saying this and that, she said well there are no returns available on the day I was booking for on the website. I'm going to stop now because I'm so cross I can hardly type and I'm sure I'm not making any sense...............................(goes to lie down in dark room......... Oh didn't mention that to change the booking I would have had to write in (to Douglas) as there was a credit difference and it would take about 5/6 weeks to get the credit back to me. So, to sum up - you pay £274, realise your mistake in half an hour, try to change the booking, takes them 5/6 weeks to pay you your money back, even though it was done on a card that could be credited, or you cancel and pay them another £199, but you pay a "cancellation fee" of 100% of your previous booking. Joy!!!

Thats not very good Teapot, in fact its a bloody disgrace!

You're telling.............thinks what shall I do.............get in touch with the Minister for Transport, that dynamic Mr Anderson, but what's the point according to him it's all "logistical"......... I'm so cross I don't know whether to cry or be sick.........what the hell I'll do both!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know 8180 :) One of the things I loved about the Steam Packet was their flexibility on changing bookings, it was ace, pay a fiver and change your ticket - a fair price and a fair deal. Shame they turned out like BA, a bunch of money grabbing scum bags!

Edit: because I cant spell things....birdbrain bee.

Yeah, just like the 'open skies' policy at the airport?

That's done wonders.

The user agreement has only been in place for just over a decade. There was plenty of opporutnity for other operators to come to the Island, and especially during the tourism 'boom' years, and yet they didn't show any interest.

In the late 70's early 80's when a competitor set up, it brought both companies to their knees before a merger in 85.

The current situation is not ideal. But shouting COMPETITION every time is futile.

Yeah, just like the 'open skies' policy at the airport?

That's done wonders.

The user agreement has only been in place for just over a decade. There was plenty of opporutnity for other operators to come to the Island, and especially during the tourism 'boom' years, and yet they didn't show any interest.

In the late 70's early 80's when a competitor set up, it brought both companies to their knees before a merger in 85.

The current situation is not ideal. But shouting COMPETITION every time is futile.

What about simulated competition or a review of the linkspan agreement? Funnily enough, the latter isn't available to the public - the old one is, from Tynwald library, the new one is under lock and key at the DoT...

simulated competition? :unsure:

You would have though that the agreement would be publically available. I know that it is a bit, lets say weak, or certianly the original one was.

Note that SeaContainers swooped for the rest of the Packet nearly as soon as it was signed. I think it represents a pretty good deal for the operator. But there is still no getting away from the fact that a purely for profit organisation, would not offer the amount of winter sailings as at present.

Again, the SeaCats are regularly slated, but I remember when all and sundry were demanding the introduction of fast craft. And in 1996 when they were withdrawn and it was just the King Orry and the Lady, the moaning was at an all time high.

Archived