Dangerous Dog Bill - A Step Too Far?

enbee

It is proposed that a Bill be introduced to Tynwald which would prohibit certain breeds of dog being kept on the island. These would include Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosas and Bull Mastiffs.

However it is also proposed that controls would be introduced on any other dog which could deemed as potentially dangerous. It is not proposed to specify any particular breeds (and any dog could be deemed as potentially dangerous). Owners of this class of dog will be required to have public liability insurance and the dog will have to be to be muzzled in public. The owner could also be forced to have the dog neutered.

In addition, if a member of the public complains about any dog an official will have the power to enter the premises where he believes the dog is kept and to seize the dog if he considers it appropriate.

This is Bill being introduced after consultation with "interested parties". It is not clear who the interested parties have been but, for instance, none of the island Dog Training clubs have been asked for their comments.

Whilst Dangerous Dogs clearly need controlled, there is already legislation in place which deals with the matter adequately. If any problem arises it is because the law is not enforced, not because the law itself is inadequate. The proposals are draconian to say the least and seem ill conceived. For instance, to give powers to an official to enter your home on the basis of another persons complaint which may unjustified or indeed malicious, is extremely worrying and could be open to abuse.

Dog owners are urged contact their MHKs urgently to raise their concerns as the Bill is to be introduced very soon.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all dogs should be muzzled in public, and kept on a lead. Having been attacked several times by roaming dogs, I am in favour of any legislation brought in that will help in their control and the protection of people.

I am an adult, and can protect myself against such animals. What chance does a small child have?

...Owners of this class of dog will be required to have public liability insurance...

I have 2 (soon to be 3) spaniels. I have about 1.5 million quid insurance - in fact almost everyone here in Switzerland has this insurance, it's very cheap and makes good sense.

The sooner it's introduced the better.

These would include Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosas and Bull Mastiffs.

Good kill them all (and their moronic owners).

There is no need to keep these type of dogs unless your a drug dealing, anti social, f**kwitt.

Totally agree - egotistical knobs the lot of them

I think all dogs should be muzzled in public, and kept on a lead. Having been attacked several times by roaming dogs, I am in favour of any legislation brought in that will help in their control and the protection of people.

I am an adult, and can protect myself against such animals. What chance does a small child have?

I wouldn't assume that the owners of "roaming dogs" would bother with the law, so this won't help. What would help though is to tell us all where it is you frequent, so we don't get attacked several times ourselves ;)

BTW I understand it's already illegal not to have a dog on a lead in Douglas (and maybe according to the bye-laws of other towns on IOM), but I can't recall ever seeing anyone being prosecuted for the offence.

This is typical feelgood/nanny state type legislation that won't be policed and therefore may as well not be put on the books. Mind you, it may be good for a bit of vote winning by the divvy MHK who raised the subject.

It's supposedly illegal to import Pit Bulls etc. but the tattooed fraternity aren't bothered. I'm used to seeing Pit Bulls exercised on Douglas beach, one of which usually has bizarre Ann-Summers style bondage gear on. It'll be ignored until one of the bastards eats a toddler.

It's supposedly illegal to import Pit Bulls etc. but the tattooed fraternity aren't bothered. I'm used to seeing Pit Bulls exercised on Douglas beach, one of which usually has bizarre Ann-Summers style bondage gear on. It'll be ignored until one of the bastards eats a toddler.

Are you sure they are Pit Bulls and not Staffordshire Terriers. Pit Bulls are quite tall, whereas Staffies are quite small and stocky. Staffies are supposed to be great with people, not too good with other dogs though. Can't say I have ever been too keen on them; proper robber's dogs IMHO.

A while ago there was a thread about dangerous dogs and someone put a link, to a page of 15/20 dogs and you had to click on the one you thought was the pitt bull, very few people would have got it first time.

IMO the world wouldn't be a worse place without pitt bulls.

Its not the dogs that need controling - its their owners :) Any dog can be bad if it is made that way by its keepers. The poor dogs :(

Couldn't say it any better myself. Who has the brains, the dog or the owner? Glad to see that common (is it that common these days?) sense has prevailed (although it might just be a one off though!) with the introduction of a bill to ban these dogs. :thumbsup:

BTW I understand it's already illegal not to have a dog on a lead in Douglas (and maybe according to the bye-laws of other towns on IOM), but I can't recall ever seeing anyone being prosecuted for the offence.

you understand incorrectly, so maybe you don't understand?? in the dogs act, dogs must be 'under effective control', no mention of dogs having to be on leads at all anywhere. that said, if a pooch is wandering in and out of traffic or 1/4 mile down the beach harrassing someone it could be argued that the control? is not 'effective' and therefore a breach of the law.

you understand incorrectly, so maybe you don't understand?? in the dogs act, dogs must be 'under effective control', no mention of dogs having to be on leads at all anywhere. that said, if a pooch is wandering in and out of traffic or 1/4 mile down the beach harrassing someone it could be argued that the control? is not 'effective' and therefore a breach of the law.

No, I think it's you who doesn't understand. The Douglas Bye-Laws (nothing to do with a Dogs Act) prohibit dogs not on a lead on pavements, I understand - never seen the signs around the place?

Archived