[BBC News] Library boosts children's reading

Newsbot

Children in the Isle of Man are reading more books than ever, figures from the Department of Education show.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6693017.stm

Another overpaid underworked civil servant looking for a pat on the back. If these people had to do a full days work in the outside world they would be off sick as quick as you like. Until they find that in the real world people can't get off work with six months full pay.

Children in the Isle of Man are reading more books than ever, figures from the Department of Education show.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6693017.stm

Another overpaid underworked civil servant looking for a pat on the back. If these people had to do a full days work in the outside world they would be off sick as quick as you like. Until they find that in the real world people can't get off work with six months full pay.

Not a civil servant then?

Just a guess!

Eh? What are you on about? Can you pad this story out or what?

There are some good childrens books and there are very bad ones too. I've found cheap books that are poorly written and junky, but even books I've picked up in the popular chain stores have turned out to be a bit rubbishy.

Its a great pity - the Ladybird books used to be reliably well written and well presented, not any more, Goldilocks and the 3 bears modern style - ITS JUNK! Stupid fonts and changing font sizes, it really isnt any wonder half the kids leaving school cannot write or read/comprehend. My daughter does well at school, shes in all the top sets but, her spelling, punctuation and handwriting are quite bad. (I was going to write dreadful but she might read this and then I would be sooooo dead!)

There are some good childrens books and there are very bad ones too. I've found cheap books that are poorly written and junky, but even books I've picked up in the popular chain stores have turned out to be a bit rubbishy.

Its a great pity - the Ladybird books used to be reliably well written and well presented, not any more, Goldilocks and the 3 bears modern style - ITS JUNK! Stupid fonts and changing font sizes, it really isnt any wonder half the kids leaving school cannot write or read/comprehend. My daughter does well at school, shes in all the top sets but, her spelling, punctuation and handwriting are quite bad. (I was going to write dreadful but she might read this and then I would be sooooo dead!)

What primary school did your kids go to? mine are 13 and 11, both went to Shoil Phurt Le Moirrey, both, like yours, in all the top sets but their spelling and punctuation are excellent (handwriting is poor but you can't always teach good handwriting!).

you might say that there are some very bad books out there and i'd agree with you but for 8-15 years olds, Children's literature now is some of the best that has been around for years. In my opinion there has been an upsurge in the last few years in childrens reading, led a lot by the links between books and films (so a lot of it is fantasy based but that helps develop imagination). It also helps if you can develop a good interest in reading in your childeen in their early years (and I'm not saying you didn't as I don't know you). i can only talk from the experiences with my two and my friends children (my daughter read and finished Lord of the Rings when she was 10 after she had watched all the films). My two get through a book or two a month, some bought, some from the Port Erin library.

I read to my daughter when she was younger (shes 14 now and will not even let me into her bedroom, never mind tuck her in and read her a story) and 'bloody hippy' or I, read to our son every night. Mini-Bee is like me she half reads things, skips through and gets the general idea. I think mini-hippy is different though, mini-bee was never dedicated to any of her books, except for Chicken Licken (why? oh why?), but mini-hippy loves his books and is quite keen to 'read' them after we leave the room. Maybe its a reading gene, my mum is a massive reader but, Im not, neither is the mini-bee but mini-hippy is showing early signs of being a book worm. I'm very picky about what I read, I wanted to read the Bonfire of the Vanities but I didnt like the people in the first few chapters and have never finished the book (anyone read it? is it worth trying again?) my mum can devour book after book & I used to wish I had the dedication, I guess its about finding good books that hold your interest.

Mini Bee is at Ballakermeen now Mr Static but was previously at Fairfield, I dont think the teachers mark the essays for punctuation and spelling like they used to. When she was at junior school she used to write stories with no punctuation or capitals and I was worried by the lack of teacher comments on her work then, things havent really improved. I notice a lot of the new yooof of the forum cannot spell, punctuate or capitalise well either, a sign of the times?

I would have to agree with you thebees, my son is 14 and is at Ramsey Grammar School. There seems a general apathy towards good grammar, punctuation and spelling.

I have brought this up at Parent's Evenings and am met with said sense of apathy. Their argument (if there is one) is that if he can make himself understood, then that is what matters.

As you said, I really hope that this is not a sign of the times :(

I've just asked my 13 year old what happens to her English work when it gets marked (she's at Castle Rushen). She tells me that she gets corrected for both spelling and punctuation. I know that both of my kids had regular spelling tests in primary school but nothing now in Senior school.

Both of mine still find great enjoyment in reading, my daughter has enjoyed some books so much that she's read them 3 or 4 times (Eragon 4/5 times, Eldest twice). Think I'm lucky in that respect as they also spend a lot of their time on PC's playing WoW.

I do think there has been a general dumbing down on literacy standards but that it also varies a lot between schools. I'd generally agree with you regarding English usage by today's youths (sp?) as what I read on here and Manxbands forums from the younger members (in general) is very poor with regard to correct use of English. (Not saying mine is great as

I was more of a mathematician!)

I've seen libraries in some areas turn into nothing much more than glorified internet cafes when they should also try to stay true to their key function which was to give access to books to the masses for free.

One thing I'm seeing more with Castle Rusen now is my daughter coming home with "homework" that consists of nothing more than finding a website on a particular subject, printing a page or two out and then taking it into school. This week it was Chernobyl. All she did was type the word into Google, click the link for Wikipedia and print the first page. It's not even used afterwards in school. Not what I'd call very educational if they don't even read what they've found!

I just hope with mine that they keep up with their interest and that the libraries on the island are kept well stocked and funded.

Archived