5000 Cones

grant

I'm not conevinced that this is a good idea. We are all being coned.

This is going to cost a fortune for police conestables to police it!

What happens when the TT is over? Will these cones be released into the wild and breed?? By next year the problem could be twice as bad. I think there should be a coneference to discuss the conesequences!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help but think we've had enough of 'controversial and inflammatory' for one week thank very much. :/

I came over the mountain from Ramsey on Saturday just before practice. Setting off, I thought the cones at the Hairpin were way over the top and was already in, "Bloody hell this is appalling mode". After that however I found that most of the traffic calming to be really acceptable. The Gooseneck, Windy Corner and Brandish were free of cones and a joy to travel through. I too use all of road when driving if it's safe to do so and as a member of the ADI I would argue the toss with anyone who suggested otherwise. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Douglas knowing that there was nothing coming the other way and only had one slightly hairy moment when a black Subaru passed me on the Veranda before I had completed my own overtaking manoeuvre. I was doing about 65mph and the driver of the Subaru must have been doing way over the ton.

I thought the cones at the Bungalow were OTT though - certainly less could have been used to the same effect - and I have to admit that coming 'round Kate's and seeing all those cones on the approach to CNB - did dampen the spirits somewhat. It's a lovely run down there and somehow it just didn't seem the same at all at all at all. Personally, I would have chosen the Tunnel (bit between CNB and Brandish) to enforce the traffic calming and traffic lights - but no doubt those in the know have their reasons.

I guess we have to accept that this measure has been taken to avoid injury and death. It is however only the first time it has been tried and as such is a bit of an experiment. I'd like to see us support it as much as we can. Constructive criticism is one thing - but ripping the ass out of an idea before it's even been fully tested isn't really the way to go in my opinion.

As I've said ages ago about this, this is a stupid idea. If we stopped everyone going over the mountain road altogether, it would eliminate accidents, but that's not what roads are there for is it? Stopping half the traffic as they have done is half way to this ridiculous, but logical conclusion, so stopping women driving is just a variation on the theme :)

Had a fast run over today and I dont think that its any worse than any Mad Sunday I have done.

Shame the usual stupid car drivers were up there deliberatly blocking the road to try and prvent over takes. Idiots.

There are a lot fewer cones up at the Bungalow on the picture taken by cat man than there were on Saturday. There was no space between them whatsoever - looks much better now.

I think they must have decided that the roads are relatively quite at the moment, give it a few days and I reckon they'll be back. :)

Archived