[BBC News] Doctors' concern over phone masts

Newsbot

A medical practice considers moving to new premises amid concerns about the safety of phone masts.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6696167.stm

These masts are now in place. Personally I would love to know who gave permission for these to be erected directly over the medical centre in the village, particularly as Shoprite, who own the buildings, have a perfectly good supermarket of their own they could have erected them on 100m away.

Has anyone else here seen these? Is anyone else concerned? There is a petition in the chemists opposite if you want to express your concerns. And if you're still concerned, why not write to the Commissioners and MHKs to ask their opinion.

These masts are now in place. Personally I would love to know who gave permission for these to be erected directly over the medical centre in the village, particularly as Shoprite, who own the buildings, have a perfectly good supermarket of their own they could have erected them on 100m away.

There's been mobile cells on the roof there for years - it has very good coverage over Onchan, particularly Lakeside etc. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing planning permission being granted too. I think the fact there's "more" cells its become an issue.

there was really good C&W & Cloud9 mobile signal strength in Ramsey last night - pity their networks are not live for use.

That could have been because the normal land lines and manx mobile lines all went dead about 7pm!

could there be a connection?

The man who does Bad Science argues that there is a theory that it's better to be near a mast - as the phone on your ear and next to your brain doesn't have to work so hard and therefore emit more radiation in order to get a signal.

The way the antennae are usually mounted on the masts, ensures the radiation goes outwards from the mast in a near horizontal plane, so in reality, you're probably far safer being directly underneath the mast, rather than a short distance away from it.

Due to the nature in which a signal coming from these masts deteriorates, you are also far more likely to be receiving a much higher dose of radiation when using your mobile than being anywhere near a phone mast.

- Maybe the amount of drivers seen whilst using mobiles could be seen as proof that phone use kills brain cells - this surely must be more dangerous than being sat under a mobile mast??

I agree Matty both with your assertion about mobile using drivers and propagation from phone masts. I think the radiation from the mobile stuck on your ear is much more dangerous than the mast. The mast is more powerful but isn't the inverse square law applicable?

If I lived next door to a proposed site, I'd certainly object but only because the masts look horrible. As for the good Dr, if you applied his reasoning of better safe than sorry, you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning just in case. Get real doc, your supposed to be a scientist!

someone told me that the wifi signal is also suspect - does this mean that using the laptop in Java lounge is dangerous - I'm in there quite often during the week.

Oh yes! Whatever you do, stay away from computers!

someone told me that the wifi signal is also suspect - does this mean that using the laptop in Java lounge is dangerous - I'm in there quite often during the week.

Oh yes! Whatever you do, stay away from computers!

And next time you piss someone off, it might be a good idea to stay away from the Java lounge.

• 2 weeks later...

personally I wouldn't want to live next to a mast. when I lived in London C&W managed to steamroller through planning permission to put up a mast (dressed up as a tree!) about 100 yards from my house. aside from the potential health problems (as with global warming, there are scientists on both sides of the argument but would you really want to risk it) it had an immediate negative impact on the property value of the surrounding houses.

Archived