Flouride In Water

geo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<_<  Maybe we should go look for the Saveourwater representatives at Tynwald and give them a bit of heckling???  :P

Did you see the article in todays paper regards tynwald petitions and the lottery

I think the statement from Prof. Sheldon speaks for itself and is hardly a play on words.

"1) Whilst there is evidence that water fluoridation is effective at reducing caries, the quality of the studies was generally moderate and the size of the estimated benefit, only of the order of 15%, is far from "massive"." - This was correcting misquotes stating that the report had shown fluoridation to be massively effective in reducing caries.

"2) The review found water fluoridation to be significantly associated with high levels of dental fluorosis which was not characterised as "just a cosmetic issue"." - This was in response to misquotes saying that the fluorosis arising from fluoridation was merely a cosmetic issue.

"3) The review did not show water fluoridation to be safe. The quality of the research was too poor to establish with confidence whether or not there are potentially important adverse effects in addition to the high levels of fluorosis. The report recommended that more research was needed." - This was in response to misquotes (as used by our own DHSS PHD) that fluoridation is safe.

"4) There was little evidence to show that water fluoridation has reduced social inequalities in dental health. " - Pretty damning don't you think!

I wrote to the Director of the DHSS as he is in direct charge of the IOM DHSS PHD, I expressed our concerns over fluoridation and aksed him to make our views known at Ministerial level, he stated that he had done so, he also advised me to have a meeting with Dr Emerson who has been charged with handling the fluoridation issue, we are yet to meet Dr Emerson but will do so in time.

This isn't policy yet, but if left unchecked it may well become policy sooner than you might think, especially as there are fluoridation areas within the new water treatment works at Sulby, this is why we have embarked upon our campaign to at least get the thing out in the open and being discussed.

I will of course be at Tynwald handing out leaflets and look forward to meeting anyone who wishes to discuss this matter further.

"1) Whilst there is evidence that water fluoridation is effective at reducing caries, the quality of the studies was generally moderate and the size of the estimated benefit, only of the order of 15%, is far from "massive"." - This was correcting misquotes stating that the report had shown fluoridation to be massively effective in reducing caries.

"2) The review found water fluoridation to be significantly associated with high levels of dental fluorosis which was not characterised as "just a cosmetic issue"." - This was in response to misquotes saying that the fluorosis arising from fluoridation was merely a cosmetic issue.

"3) The review did not show water fluoridation to be safe. The quality of the research was too poor to establish with confidence whether or not there are potentially important adverse effects in addition to the high levels of fluorosis. The report recommended that more research was needed." - This was in response to misquotes (as used by our own DHSS PHD) that fluoridation is safe.

"4) There was little evidence to show that water fluoridation has reduced social inequalities in dental health. " - Pretty damning don't you think!

Still cant see the words ' unsafe or dangerous' or any words of a similar ilk, as I said, more investigation is needed to remove the obvious ambiguity in the report. And with regards 'cosmetic issue' it does not state what kind of issue it is if it is not just a cosmetic issue.

Geo

If you want to heckle us then that is up to you, I am sure there will be many people who will support us and equally as many people who think fluoride is great.

I hope to enjoy the day.

I'll be there with my banners and a bag of rotten tomatoes to chuck at you then! :D

Well, saveourwater, how disappointed was I today! :( Went all the way to Tynwald, battled through the traffic and the crowds hoping to find you and pick up a leaflet...............and couldn't find you! Was all ready with some heckling and tough questions to ask you (thought the rotten tomatoes was a bit cruel!)..............I'm very disappointed, I had a wasted journey. :angry: Were you hiding??? <_<

No, not hiding at all Minnie. 2 campaign members went and were distributing leaflets from about 11.30 onwards, after about an hour we had given out nearly 500 and had to save the few we had left for the MHK's and MLC's, which we handed out after the ceremony had finished. We spent the rest of the day chatting to various other interested parties and headed home just before the rain started.

Not one heckler amongst all the people I met, in fact most of the people I talked to were very supportive and even asked for more leaflets so they could give them to friends.

If you mail me your address I'll post you a leaflet though, perhaps we'll meet up at our next event. :)

I'm glad you had a successful day. Did you have a stand or were you just wandering around giving out leaflets? Maybe at your next event we should wear something to make eachother stand out so we recognise eachother? I'll be the one dressed as a tube of FLUORIDE toothpaste, popping FLUORIDE tablets and drinking FLUORIDATED water! :P

We did not have a stand, but knew some friends on the permaculture, friends of the earth block and used their stand as a base, we then wandered around giving out leaflets and talking to people, I should have brought 2000 leaflets because they would have been handed out if I had.

We were wearing our campaign t-shirts as well so I don't know how you missed us.

And yeah next time you could be in a booth dressed as a tube of fluoride toothpaste (your outfit has to be made of gortex though because it contains fluoride) the stand must have a FLUOrescent lamp, you must have a CFC fridge (chloro FLUORO carbons), you must make some tea (can contain up to 12mg of fluoride) with fluoridated water and wash down your fluoride tablets after brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste (1,000 ppm) and gargling with fluoride mouthwash (10,000 ppm), you can also drink some florida orange juice and have some tuna fish sarnies and smoke a few ciggies all containing fluoride, and when you go home you must cook your tea in a teflon pan because it is made from fluoride, you must take extra care to make sure you get the pan nice and hot so that the teflon comes off really easily and goes into your food though. :P

Archived