Tt Pushers In Schools.

keyboarder

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad you took the Springer remark well... I wondered about that as I sauntered off to make my hot chocolate! The mental image was amusing for me... up the stakes... take it off the board... heh!

Anyway, yeah maybe we westerners are soft.... however having recently moved to the North....

(Watch this space)

If would be interesting to settle the debate by trying to bitch slap each other through/round/under a big security guard while Springer gave a running commentary!

Oh really....well I shall tell my hard-ass mofo kids to stay away from the over-sensitive ones wrapped in cotton wool!

Seriously though, I do think it a bit extreme to object to your kids being introduced to riders in case they end up dead. Yes, it's dangerous and people have died in the past but how many laps/competitors are there? How many local riders have died in previous years? The last one to be seriously injured was Milky wasn't it? These are actual question btw, I'm not sure of the stats or the probabilities but I'd estimate it to be quite low, that is why my conscience is clear regarding my children meeting these potential 'timebombs'.

Children already associate the TT with fun and excitement, there's a fair, they get time off school, everyone seems to have more fun, the red arrows, the burger vans, the action on the prom etc....all things kids love. The bikes are just another part of that. They do get taught safety as well as getting to look at the bikes and meet the riders, my 4 year old as coming out with all kinds interesting saftey facts!

I'm glad you took the Springer remark well... I wondered about that as I sauntered off to make my hot chocolate! The mental image was amusing for me... up the stakes... take it off the board... heh!

Anyway, yeah maybe we westerners are soft.... however having recently moved to the North....

(Watch this space)

If would be interesting to settle the debate by trying to bitch slap each other through/round/under a big security guard while Springer gave a running commentary!

Naked mud-wrestling would probably meet with general approval.

Kayyyy Lonan3..... you can play the Springer part...... I'll practise my "You jus' jealussss" remarks and get jiggling my head side to side like they all do... (my head Lonon... my head!)

(Edit nuther bleedin' typo)

So Gladys, What do you tell your 7 year old about Father Christmas?

Good question, but not directly linked as the existence of Father Christmas is a nice pretence for children that is not expected to be sustained through adult life, as opposed to Christianity, nor is his supposed existence contrary to scientific knowledge; it is a pretence not a frameork within whiccyou are supposed to live your life.

However, you asked the question. I have always played the Father Christmas game; that is part of childhood, of course. But have always thought that when either of them starts to question me closely on the existence of Father Christmas, I will come clean. That is exactly how I handled it with my now 8 year old son a few weeks ago, I put up the fight at first, but he kept on questioning, so I tested the water by saying something that may indicate he didn't exist, saw the disappointed reaction and quickly backtracked. So now all happy, believes in Father Christmas and, more importantly I suspect, is content that he will receive his usual present from him.

I am not a monster parent, just a realist.

Good question, but not directly linked as the existence of Father Christmas is a nice pretence for children that is not expected to be sustained through adult life,

Oh. :o

My sons school was visited before TT, but their visit seems to have been more rounded than others.

The visit included - A Marshall, The Police, and a TT Rider (minus the bike)

The school was looking into the History of the TT and how it is an intergral part of Life on the Island. It linked in with the Presentation Stamps which all of the children were given. The Marshall explained what his role was and why it was so important, the rider spoke of some of his career highlights and how he came to be a TT competitor and the police talked about the TT from a 'Keeping Safe' perspective,

I've read with interest some of the comments and whilst some people obviously feel quite strongly about children having the 'TT Pushers' in their schools and here's my take on it...............

...............We live (whether or not you agree) on a unique island, which at its heart is Motorsport, its a way of life here! and for at least 4 weeks of the year on the Bikes dominate the Island and more motorsport continues with the Rally, 2 day trials etc.

A lot of people with children live in places which are affected by the closeures of the roads, the TT was everywhere you looked this year, to think that a visit to a school is going to in some way incite young children into anything, is, far fetched, unless you sheild them from the whole of TT, Grand Prix, Motorsports!

With regards to riders dying, my son has been exposed to death through family who have died. Death isnt a taboo subject in our house - My son by the way is 5 years old, and has a fairly good grasp of life and death for a 5 year old.

I as a parent had no problem with the visit to my sons school and as I was advised beforehand of the visit, I had the choice as to his participation in the visit.

I would ask out of my own interest how many of those opposed to the visit actually have children who have received school vists on this subject?

Archived