All The Local Clergy Leaders Speak Out On Abortion

copycat

Leaving religion aside, surely abortion should be legalized on the grounds of safety? ie somebody, somewhere, is always going to want an abortion. So they can either have it done safely or will end up going to some "dark ally abortionist".

Not that I agree at all with the trend of little slags going out clubbing every weekend, getting drunk, "hooking up" with different guys every night and having unprotected sex.

It is not a trend, ever was it thus.

What I cannot understand is that in this age of a wide range of effective contraception, including the morning after pill, there are still unwanted pregnancies.

There just does not seem to be the fear of getting pregnant any more, which was one of the best contraceptives ever!

However, having said that, I am still not sure which side of the abortion debate I would come down on, no matter what any religious party has to say on the subject. Apart from genuine medical reasons and in those circumstances I do not believe it is anyone's business but the mother and father, my heart believes it should not be used as an alternative form of contraception, but then my head looks at the number of teenage mothers around and wonders? But with the morning after pill, why are there still so many teenage/irresponsible mothers around?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what I get sick of - I get sick of this whole abortion debate centering around women...what about the boys/men out there that seem to think its solely the woman to sort her self out in regard to contraception and lots of men shag around without a second thought of pregnancy. I am not saying all men are like that but I do think it is about time that men were drawn more into ths debate - but just like a man getting a woman pregnant he can walk away if he wants to. I think its about time men became more responsible!

Better sex education for boys and girls in schools - and also i think that the youth of today are so disallusioned that they think having a baby will be good fun and they can get benefits and a flat - this is I think the reason for the rise in young mums coupled with the boys willing to shag them without using anything.

The fact that we no longer see HIV/STD danger adverts (or more publicity) is to me criminal in this day and age and all people should be aware of the consequences of sex. full stop.

i got pregnant at 18- i was on the pill- it failed. I took the morning after pill- that failed too. I was at the time being responsible (co-incidentally we were also using condoms) I was just about to go to university & the time was most definately not right to have a baby. So i had an abortion. Its not something im proud of, and there are many times when i wondered if i had made the right decision. Now looking back i know i did make the right decision. I was 18, had no job, no money, no home to bring a child up in- they are all very important for me to bring a child up in this world. Im now a little older,unfortunatley not much wiser and i have a beautiful little girl who was 3 yesterday, a loving husband (most of the time!) a great home & my husband has a good job & is able to provide for us. Abortion is a very personal choice, but it is just that -a CHOICE

Hannahsmummy1 - thanks for your post. An open account of some of the realities of this issue - my understanding is that your type of situation is far more common than the person not caring about birth control and using abortion as a method of contraception. It is a problem that the debate is distorted by Tabloid claims about Chavs etc using abortion this way - its the exception not the reality and policy shouldn't be made that way.

Tea&Biscuits - for me contraception is totally an issue for both sides of the relationship. My attitude is that if the bloke has any uncertainty about whether the woman is using a birth control method he must use a condom. Plus for safe sex its best for both involved that one is used no matter what. But contraception is a different issue than abortion. I'd be careful at linking the two together - In my view a bloke does have a role to play over whether a pregnancy should continue, but not a final say.

In this day and age why people are having sex without adequate protection is beyond me. Open access and availability to contraceptives AND education of the risks - emotional and physical - of unthought out sexual activity are vital. I feel it isn't the availablility which is the problem and more the education - and that's about more than just the mechanics!

Archived