A New Future For The Tt.

grant

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a few years back we had at least 2 or 3 dead people and many injured visitors every Mad Sunday.

The casualty department at Nobles was always jam-packed with serious cases, but for the past couple of years (including this one) things have been very markedly different. A lot of credit is due to the changes made by the Roads Policing Unit with making the mountain road one-way for a larger proportion of time and regulating the traffic at various other places on the TT course. The new ambulance helicopter service has very definitely been saving lives too. The paramedics, doctors, nurses and support staff in the medical services are second to none.

In addition I think that the racing itself is being improved and made safer through the installation of improved safety barriers throughout the whole course to help reduce injuries, and by measures such as providing those energy drinks etc to the riders to help reduce accidents caused by dehydration and tiredness. The organisation is increasingly more professional and bringing the event into the 21st century. I'd even go as far to say that we are back at the forefront of motorcycle racing!

Congratulations are due to all who have been supporting these measures and doing the hard work to make the TT safer, better and more enjoyable. It makes me proud to be a part of it :D

Fingers crossed for the rest of the festival!

Given the volume of bikes and people, this TT has so far seemed much safer than previously. Sadly, there have been accidents, some serious and one fatality :( , but it would seem that the measures and message are working. Let's hope the stats become stuck.

Hi Grant

I understand what you are implying: It aint over 'til its over, but the benefits of the changes are already clear.

People will no doubt yet die or get hurt but it already shows strongly that things are going to get better if we keep the current efforts up.

A big up is due to the organisers of the Peel Bay Festival too, even though I have been too busy to get over and experience it. You guys have put your necks out and given real value to the 2007 TT! Very jealous I couldn't get to the Madness gig.... More biker rock acts next year will make it perfect :) Metallica would be good!

Things would be much better if the bikers only used a bit of common sense, when I've been driving I've seen some stupid over-taking and they drove on my side of the road round corners.

Hermes, you are counting chickens before they hatch. My family love the TT but we are keeping the children out of the car for two weeks - it's just too risky turning out of our drive into the main road.

Could I ask that you remove this post until the bikes have gone home?

Hermes, you are counting chickens before they hatch. My family love the TT but we are keeping the children out of the car for two weeks - it's just too risky turning out of our drive into the main road.

I agree - best remove this one until the rest of the week has finished.... kinda tempting fate ;)

I agree - best remove this one until the rest of the week has finished.... kinda tempting fate ;)

Got to wonder how much is safety measures and how much is the weather? Mad sunday was dead quiet because it was pissing down for example and one race has been postponed (though no idea why, the weather seemed fine?).

I've had a few close shaves though, lots of overtaking on the inside. Lots of misunderstandings about lanes at traffic lights where you've got the guy in the left lane going straight on and the usual german biker on the wrong side of the road.

i think your thread is premature. any indications of lower deaths are much more likely because of the weather so far keeping bikers off the roads. i've seen enough diabolical driving and riding so far to say there's a bit of luck involved too. i haven't even driven on a course road yet!

slim, i believe the races on saturday were called off due to a combination of weather and oil on the course.

I am led to believe that there are fewer Germans in recent years (I dont know how many in % terms, perhaps the IOMSCo. have the stats) which reduces the riding on the wrong side of the road effect resulting in fewer serious accidents.

Archived